Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please send help!

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Viviana, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Viviana

Viviana PetForums Newbie

I bought my first hamster a couple weeks ago and everything was fine. But now whenever he sees me he runs towards the bars of his cage and starts biting very aggressively? Or enthusiastically? Im not very sure, plus he tries to bite if i try to touch him or even put ny hand inside his cage.
    What can i do so he can be comfortable with me?
    I noticed he reacts to his name so thats a plus, but other than that no progress.

2. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

Can you take him outside of the cage to interact? Some hamsters will get possessive of their cages (particularly if the cage is small, please be aware that the current generally agreed minimum size is 80x50cm for all hamsters).

If you can get him scooped up safely in a big mug you can put your hand over, or an actual small animal carrier you can take him to a safe enclosed space. Most people start with the bathtub but you can use childrens sand pits or ball pits or puppy playpens depending on the design. He may very well be more relaxed there as he is in explore-mode and not thinking he has to defend his territory.

3. Viviana

Viviana PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much, i'll definitely try to put him in the bathtub and interact with him more.

Engel98 likes this.
  4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

How's the ham now? Can we have an update?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice