Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

please poo outside !

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by rachel57, Aug 7, 2009.

1. rachel57

rachel57 PetForums Junior

hi we have just got our first dog (maltese-shihtzu) he is 8 wks old and the breader said he was crate trained . on the first night we put him in the kitchen in a bed and a blanket ,when we came down this mornigh hes has weed on the floor then did a poo on my carpet ! we had put those doggy mats down but he just does'nt seem to know what to do ! as im a very clean person i dont want to be cleaning up after doggie!.we have a crate coming in a few days time but im getting puzzled by all of this crate training thing !i also dont want to get up in the night to see to the dog i would rather try to let him have a wee just before we go to bed .also what happens when i go back to work in september do i leave him in the crate with a pad to do his business on or do i put the pad outside his crate .its getting so confusing i hope we made the right choice to have a family pet please can somebody out my mind at rest because i want to start enjoying doggie not worrying about poo's and wee's !

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, at 8 weeks old and a small breed you will have to let your puppy out during the night as his bladder just isn't big or strong enough to hold on all night.

There are heaps of threads on here to do with toilet training :) And crate training too, just have a search you might be there a while! :D :)

Also, if you can, buy ''The Perfect Puppy'' by Gwen Bailey its a fantastic book!

x

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

If he is crate trained, then of course he will do in the kitchen if he isn't in a crate!

He is 8 weeks old. Of course he will poo and wee on the carpet. He doesn't know where he can do!

The training mats and complete and utter waste of money in my opinion.

If you don't want to be cleaning up after the dog and getting up to him in the night, you shouldn't have had a dog... or especially not an 8 week old puppy.

Were you expecting him to be house trained at 8 weeks old???

As for where to put the pad when you go back to work. What on Earth would be the point in putting it outside of the crate??? How would he use it???

Dundee likes this.
  4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Please please please please i don't know how many times i have or need to stress this

your puppy, at 8 weeks old is a baby! Not strong enough to hold his own bladder just yet! Give him time. He won't be properly toilet trained till he's 6-8 months old, sometimes a year depending on the dog! Give him time. I mean you woudln't expect a 1 year old child to learn potty training straight away would you?

He's a baby!

Please pick up a copy of The Perfect Puppy it will give you so much guidance as its your first dog!

5. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I have a feeling this a wind up.

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

There's nothing like a 1am walk with a pup trying to get it to do the toilet, except maybe a 2am, 3am, 4am ... walk :p. You say your going back to work in September, can I ask how long the pup will be left alone or will there be someone there for him.

Terri

7. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

It must be?????

Who would seriously get a puppy and then not be arsed to get up with it in the night :idea:

8. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Sadly that's what a lot of people expect nowadays. Pups are supposed to be fully trained at very young ages nowadays and should fit in with the owners way of thinking at all times!

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My lot were almost paper trained when they left but I made sure all new owners were aware of how to toilet train them further.

x

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi and welcome,
    You must remember your puppy is a baby and unfortunatly they do not come already trained,of course he won't know where to go he has not been taught the correct place.

Toilet training can be very frustrating,I recommend you take your puppy out every 30 mins,after sleep,play,mealtimes etc stay out with your pup till he goes and give lots of praise and reward.
    By using pads it can be a signal that it's ok to go indoors and you can make toilet training harder.
    If your pup has an accident it's your fault for not reading the signals,most usually sniff and circle,simply clean the area with Bio washing powder and take pup to the correct area.

As for night time,you can't expect an 8 week old pup to hold on all night,they don't have any control over there bladders at this age,you should be aiming to get up during the night at least once to take your pup to the toilet with the minimum of fuss,no speaking etc,out to toilet then back to bed.

It takes a while to establish a routine with a young puppy, and toy breeds can be hard to train.

11. Sprocker Fun

Sprocker Fun PetForums Newbie

Our 11 week old is doing really well in the den (crate!).

As a first time dog owner i found the following book a great read :
    "Before & After Getting Your Puppy. The positive approach......" by Dr Ian Dunbar. New World Library. (I got my copy from Amazon!)

I like the quote that if the puppy does his business on the floor get a large newspaper, roll it up and hit yourself hard! Then read the book again!

canuckjill and Guinevere13 like this.
  12. rachel57

what a bunch of horrible people !!!! i came on this site on the understanding that i would find some nice people who knew what they were talking about and give me some sound advice !seems not by some of you!of course i didnt think it would happen overnight geez give me a break! maybe i should of wrote in more detail but how many of you people have wanted the best and most efficient advice for the best intentions of your family pet !!! oh and silly me did i realy think i was gonna put doggie in the crate and the pad ouside the crate whilst closed !! i think not !!. well thankyou to all those who left good advice but for those of you who just seemed to mock me and have a go ,then you have just made my mind up about using this site .there are plenty more that will give me advice without the need to leave awful comments . pathetic !!

13. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

It doesn't sound as if you have the patience for a pup,housetraining or otherwise

14. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I think that was the bit that riled people up Rachel i'm afraid. We can only help you by what you tell us - That sentence does sound like you can't be arsed i'm afraid - maybe bad wording though :blushing:

15. davehyde

davehyde Banned

16. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I can't help wondering if this is a windup :confused:

17. rachel57

oh for goodness sake have you people got nothing better else to to than comment on this ?

maybe the way i wrote my thread was in angst and a little rushed but by no way does that give you the right to judge me or my ability to look after a dog !!!!

#17 rachel57, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  18. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Rachel, we can only go by what you write and it certainly appears that you have no idea nor no patience with this puppy and that's what he is a puppy - he will not come fully trained.

OK, so let's start again.

This simply means that he will accept being put in a crate. It doesn't mean he is toilet trained, although most puppies won't toilet in their crate (but be aware that there are always exceptions).

I'm afraid it won't make any difference - he is crate trained not toilet trained.
    You seem to be confusing the two things.

OK have to take my dogs out now so will write more when I get back.

19. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Il post, although from whats been said I am not sure if you are still around....

Puppy pads are ok but you still need to let your pup know what they are for, praise when he/she uses it, and if he misses, put him on the mat and clean it up straight away (using a non bio cleaner) but dont say anything or make a fuss. Then when he/she is using the pads happily you can move the pad outside. I used pad a got a spray which encouraged buster to wee on the pad rather than the floor...
    When doing this you have to watch him/her like a hawk because you want to be sure he is praised for weeing on the pad when he/she does so, praise 20mins later when you notice is no use as its unlikely they will know what they are getting praise for :)

Personally I wouldnt use pads again, as i struggled with the transition outside, he seemed to associate the spot rather than the pad and used to wee where the pad was before until he was fully trained.

So I would stick with going out with him/her every 30mins as well as after meals, after playtime, before bed. Also, sadly, you will have to get up in the night to take him/her out - its not something that can be avoided as it is still very much a baby. Just be prepared for a frustrating process as it can be months before they are fully house trained - buster was about 7 months but I think this was due to the pad confusion!

#19 Savahl, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  20. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Crate Training
    You need to use the crate to put the puppy in during the night. Take him out for a wee (and hopefully a poo) right before you go to bed (this needs to be the LAST thing you do. So get yourself ready for bed and then take puppy out. Yes, that does mean going outside in your pyjamas!)
    Put puppy into the crate with a couple of toys (mainly a chew and a teddy). Say good night to him, shut the door and completely cover the crate with a blanket so he can't see out at all. Then go up to bed. He WILL bark and cry for anything up to an hour. Do NOT go down to him or shout at him or anything like that, completely ignore him. It will take him a few nights to get used to sleeping in the crate. If he wakes up and cries during the night, its really up to you what you do. Either get up and take him outside, without fussing him or speaking to him at all. Just take him out, let him do a wee/poo and put him straight back into his crate. (Give him a couple of minutes to see if he needs a drink though if there is no water in his crate).

You can use the crate during the day when you go out. Again, do the same as above- the last thing you do before going out is put him in his crate. Don't put him in then faff about in the house for 20 minutes as he'll only get distressed. Put him in and walk out the door. Ideally he shouldn't spend any more than 3 hours in the crate during the day.

Also, you can use the crate for time out, if he is getting very boisterous etc during the day, but only for 10-20 minutes to let him calm down (unless he falls asleep in there).

Really hope that helps you. Really, you should have got the crate before you picked him up as it's going to be harder for him to adjust from having the freedom of the kitchen to going back into the crate.

Toilet Training
    Get rid of the training pads. Complete and utter waste of time and money. They really are. Same with newspaper on the floor. Keep the back door open when you are in the house and make sure to take him out every 10-20 minutes. He might not do everytime, which is fine. Just make sure he is having the opportunity to do. If he does in the house, ignore him, don't shout at him etc. Just take him outside and then come back in and clean up.

I know it's hard for the first few weeks but it's worth it in the end!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice