Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Please Help.

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by pharaohandchewie, May 12, 2020.


  1. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I posted on here last September regarding my chinchilla’s teeth. He was fine for awhile. Then this last month he has dropped a lot of weight and refuses to eat, drools excessively and won’t come out for any play time. I took him to the vet and the lady kindly told me that they ground down his front tooth (the other has not grown back since the accident) and the back teeth as they were cutting his cheek and he has an infection. She noticed how much weight he has lost and thinks the roots of his teeth are growing into his skull kind of thing (I didn’t really understand) we can’t do x rays bc of how much weight he has lost. She’s put him on antibiotics for 5 days and has told me to ring her back in a week to see how he is doing. She said it could be roots because his eyes are teary and his nose is running and she says that is a sign, unfortunately like I said she doesn’t want to give him x rays in case putting him under kills him. But my question to those out there who have had a chin in this similar situation, am I doing the right thing? Or am i prolonging his pain? I have no idea what to do. The lady said if it is his roots then there’s nothing we could do about it. I want to know if putting him down is the best option or if I should hold out for another month or so. Like I said he won’t eat at all now, not even treats. He peed on me today when I removed him from the cage to try and help him eat. He’s never done that before. If he’s in so much pain, what should I do for the best? I don’t want to let him go. I love him so much. But I can’t stand to see him like this and I don’t want him to suffer.
     
  2. Tiggers

    Tiggers PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 27, 2014
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    359
    Root elongation is terminal and your chin will be in excessive pain. I've lost more than one chin to this horrible process. I would strongly consider ending his suffering. I'm sorry if this is not what you wish to hear, but ending his suffering is the kindest thing you can do for him.
     
    Arny and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I figured this. The vet said to give him a week or two but I see the difference in him and it’s killing me. Thank you for your advice. If he doesn’t start eating in the next week or so then I’m just going to have to let him go. I’d rather that then let him suffer any longer.
     
  4. Tiggers

    Tiggers PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 27, 2014
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    359
    The chances are there will be no recovery in his eating as he will be in too much pain. Please do the kindest thing for your chinchilla.
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

    Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2013
    Messages:
    23,589
    Likes Received:
    34,543
    I wouldn’t delay, but have him pts ASAP tbh.
     
  6. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I don’t know what to do. The vet is giving him 5 days to gain weight, we arent 100% sure it is root elongation because he’s so underweight that we can’t get X-rays. This morning he ate the food but it was really watered down, he had quite a bit but tonight I’ve tried again and he’s spitting it out and not taking it. He was shaking badly and his eyes were watering. I don’t want to delay if he is suffering but my vet’s are on lockdown as well because of Coronavirus and I can’t call them up like I usually do to get advice. So what do I do? Run the course of the antibiotics and see or just get him put down tomorrow? He’s not eating anything tonight. He won’t have his sand bath at all. He won’t move just sitting there and usually he never lets me hold him, he squirms, and tonight he just did he just sat there letting me stroke him. What is the best advice? I really need help, I’m in two minds and my vet said to wait it out but then again they’ve not owned a chinchilla before like you guys have. So what do you suggest?
     
  7. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    He just started barking as well very loudly is this a sign he is in pain?
     
  8. Lurcherlad

    Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2013
    Messages:
    23,589
    Likes Received:
    34,543
    The vet must have an out of hours service. I’d ring now and insist they see him ASAP.

    If you think pts is the right thing to do (it does sound like he’s struggling tbh) then don’t be fobbed off by the vet.

    Or take the risk and x-ray. If he passes while under then maybe that’s for the best. If not, and it’s not as serious as previously thought then he stands a chance with treatment.

    To me, that’s better than waiting it out in case he is suffering imo.

    I haven’t had a Chinchilla so tagging @Tiggers for you
     
  9. Tiggers

    Tiggers PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 27, 2014
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    359
    He's needs to be pts, he's suffering. Please take him and ask that this is carried out. Natural death may not occur for some time and meanwhile you are only prolonging his suffering.
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I’ve spoken to the vet and it’s happening tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn’t have the money to pay for him to be put down right now as I’m out of work and have no means of being able to get £150 right away. They’ve scheduled me in for the earliest appointment tomorrow, I will spend the night with him one last time. Thank you for your advice, this is the hardest decision I’ve had to make but in the end I don’t want him to suffer. Even the out of service vet said it doesn’t look good. Thank you again.
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Tiggers

    Tiggers PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 27, 2014
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    359
    Root elongation is a genetic condition, so please don't blame yourself in any way. Is your chinchilla a rescue, or did you get him from a breeder?
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    Breeder, my dad got him a while back as a gift and I honestly didn’t know the first thing about them. I did end up doing a lot of research and stuff so now he has all the things he needs. He seems more alert as of right now, he is pawing at his mouth and rubbing his head on things and scratching the floor. I’ve put his food bowl closer but he doesn’t want to even attempt. He’s kind of running around pawing at his mouth, which is a difference from before. As of this second as I type this he just tried to eat a bit of his mushy food then shook his head like he didn’t want it and bounced off. Now he’s going to sleep. Does him being alert mean he has a chance? Like I said we aren’t 100% sure he has the root elongation. He has a bad tooth Rn (front top one is completely gone) vet said damage on back teeth and that they were very sharp, which has led to an infection on his cheek. But the vet also said there was a foul stench in his mouth and also she’s not sure it is elongation but because he’s underweight we can’t x Ray him in case he passes. I don’t want to put him down if he has a chance.
     
  13. Tiggers

    Tiggers PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 27, 2014
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    359
    Without x-rays, there is truly no way of telling. What you describe is not really an indication of anything other than pain. I recently lost a chin to root elongation, and apart from struggling to eat displayed virtually no symptoms. X-rays revealed that his roots were entering his sinal cavity, so I requested pts before he came out of anaesthetic.
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I’m really sorry for your loss. So personally what would you do in this situation? Like I’ve said I don’t want to prolong this but if there’s a chance he can be saved then I don’t want to put him to sleep in case, but then I run the risk of making him suffer for nothing. I personally feel he’s not going to gain enough weight for those x rays. The fact he’s alert seemed like a good sign but since reading your response I’ve lost my hope. I run the risk of keeping him suffering for 5 whole days just to see if he eats. If not then he’s a lost cause, and I would’ve just been making him suffer for longer when I could have done something earlier. I have no idea what to do. He’s my first chinchilla.
     
  15. Nonnie

    Nonnie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    16,926
    Likes Received:
    9,225
    Why not just go with the x-rays? He might make it, and it might be treatable.

    If he does pass away whilst under, at least you will have given him the chance.
     
    Lurcherlad and pharaohandchewie like this.
  16. Tiggers

    Tiggers PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 27, 2014
    Messages:
    777
    Likes Received:
    359
    He is not able to eat due to pain, so cannot gain any weight. Once teeth issues begin, I am not in support of regular dentals as they are too painful and stressful. This is a dreadful situation for you both, but I would go with the pts option. I've seen too much suffering after any dental treatment, and it's dreadful to observe.
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I was thinking this just now.
     
  18. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I know and I don’t want him to suffer. I’m not sure why but they removed his bottom teeth right down, was that a good thing for them to do? I managed to get him to take his antibiotics but I literally had to open his mouth and squirt it in and it was very difficult as he would not stop squirming now he’s bouncing around again, I’m hoping once that set in. The appointment tomorrow is to check on him and to get my vet’s full opinion and to discuss the best option. I think if I do get the xrays and he slips away like the previous commentor said at least I gave him a chance.
     
  19. Nonnie

    Nonnie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    16,926
    Likes Received:
    9,225
    I dont know squat about chins btw.

    Just seems to me that a definitive answer might be needed. Even if it all it does it confirm your suspicions. It might help assuage any potential guilt as you will be able to make a decision based on facts and not wonder 'what if' down the line.
     
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. pharaohandchewie

    pharaohandchewie PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2019
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    1
    I just honestly have no idea what to do. I don’t want to him put down if he has a chance, taking the x Ray route is probably a good idea, like you say if he’s okay it could be treatable if not and he slips away then at least I gave him a chance and at least he didn’t suffer.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice