Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Simran, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Simran

Simran PetForums Newbie

86C9B284-124A-4755-8DDA-30D7D5385D23.jpeg 84099AA4-6190-490E-8D38-DE04B6C19DCB.jpeg EFAC6B9E-78A6-456B-9F16-DAEFB0C78DC6.jpeg 2B43252E-BC60-429A-9FCA-B6BDB78C6B28.jpeg So my Akita keeps coming up with ‘hot spots’. I’ve taken him to the vets about 3/4 time with this same problem and the vet has told me it’s not an easy diagnosis as he could be getting them for a number of reasons.
    She prescribed him isaderm which does seem to help if applied over a period of time, however just as I think he’s got cleared of them they come back!
    He’s had a patch on his forehead and numerous other patches on his body.
    The patched have this yellow type of crust on them at the root of the hair and as result his hair falls off in that patch, has anyone else experienced this and if so how have you dealt with it?
    He’s up to date with his advocate/worming tablets so I was convinced it wasn’t any parasites. Please help!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It might be an idea to get him allergy tested and there may be things you can avoid that are causing them. Or assume it is food and put him on a grain free food initially and then if that does not help cut out different ingredients till you hit lucky. I have a friend with a dog with that problem and she turned out to be allergic to nearly everything and even a chew with something she is allergic to can set the whole thing off. She sometimes has to have steroids or another anti allergy tablet.

Simran, Lurcherlad and Maurey like this.
  3. Simran

Simran PetForums Newbie

Thank you

Blitz likes this.
  4. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

It looks like Sebaceous Adenitis.
    Not a common condition but does occur in Akitas.
    You will need to ask your vet to test for it.
    If you need any support, I can help but I don’t want to bombard you with information if it isn’t SA.

5. Simran

Simran PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely flag this up with my vet.
    If you have the time to explain in a little more depth that would be great, is it life threatening?

6. Born to Boogie

It’s not life threatening, not curable either, it’s an autoimmune condition that you basically manage, with emollient and bathing, weekly at first, then fortnightly.
    That’s why it’s important that you get a diagnosis. No need to start worrying, if it’s not SA. I don’t want to overload you, if it’s something more straightforward.

7. Born to Boogie

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice