Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by adrianapr, Jul 19, 2009.

1. adrianapr

adrianapr PetForums Newbie

Hi:

I have a 2 year old female cat named Sabrina. Four days ago my mom and I went to the welfare and adopt a beautiful 3 and a half month old female kitten that we named Olivia. Sabrina has her own safe room, my room and the kitten sleeps with my mom. Sabrina is a very agressive cat towards anything that comes from the outside world. We live in an apartment. We slowly introduced Olivia to Sabrina and sometimes Olivia try to defend herself and hissed from now a then but i get very anxious and put Olivia in her safe room. I dont want to mantain her confined in a room forever, but i dont want them to fight either. Sabrina is very tough on us growls, hisses and we are kind of scared for the kitten.

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I would let them sort it out within reason, they have to sort who is boss, maybe clip the older cats claws if thats possible then it will be more shock that scares the kitten then it being scratched. the more you keep them apart the more the older cat may resent her.

3. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Yep i agree i had a similar problem when i bought Thomas into the family with 5 cats and 2 kittens (now) Thomas is nearly 12 years old things were a little rocky for a while but you have to let them sort their differences ...... top dog and all ;) but like us you'll get there it may take a little time x

DKDREAM likes this.
  4. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

DKDREAM and Midnight are right, you should let them sort things out to a point. I know it looks really rough at times, but kittens are robust little things.

When we introduced Charlie and Lola to our older cat Thomas he went through a few stages. First he prended they weren't there, then he would give them a box round the ears and when he eventually realised they weren't going anywhere he began to tollerate them to a point.

I think all you need to give it is a little time.

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

your older cat will be boss in time but a younger cat would have been better 8 weeks or so because the younger they are the less threat they are, has you other cat lived with others before?

6. adrianapr

adrianapr PetForums Newbie

hi:

Sabrina came to my house with only 2 weeks old, her mother died. We live in a 19 floor and she only been outside when i take her to the vet. What she only know or likes are the things that are in my apartment and my mom and I. She hates anything that comes from the front door.

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Well done for sorting out Sabrina's safe place (does she have food and a litter tray in there?). Also think of putting up high up places like shelves for the cats to get away from one another. Climbing centres etc etc When i got my dog (i now completely different species, but my cats lived upstairs for 3 weeks during the introduction period) i understood that the animals in my home needed time to adjust to another. Especially cats. We assume, as humans, that if we bring another cat or animal into our home that our current pets see things as we do and will adjust to our expectations. They don't. Cats are solitary on a normal basis. Unless they are family (even then sqaubbles still happen! I know that much i have 4 cats all related!) . I am not saying all cats are like this just most.

You have done everything right. If Sabrina won't accept Olivia yet, its going too fast for her. There are a few things to try. One being rub a piece of cloth/towel over Olivia then take it too Sabrina but feed her a treat she only gets on a special occasions then slowly introduce the towel/cloth. If she smells it give her more of the treat etc etc. And visa versa. It can take a lot of time to introduce pets to one another. But you obviously adore both of yours so this will work. All it takes is time and patience. Good luck hun, and keep us all updated xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice