Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help...

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Torzxox, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Torzxox

Torzxox PetForums Newbie

In relation to my previous post, my snake haven’t ate since I’ve had him which is 6 or 7 weeks now.. I tried to feed him again last night and again there was nothing. But a couple I’ve times I’ve found this in his tank... please could anyone tell me what this is?

2. Torzxox

Torzxox PetForums Newbie

What is this please?!

Attached Files:

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Hard to say without more info, I'm going to tag a few of the more snake savvy people on the forum to see if they can help.

@Acidic Angel, @Katalyst, any ideas?

OP's previous post says they have had the corny for 6 weeks & they haven't eaten yet.

Torzxox and Acidic Angel like this.
  4. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

Could I have a full run down of your full set up please? Temperature, heating method, size, etc..
    How old is the corn snake?
    How often are you trying to offer food and what food?

As for the photo, I couldn't tell you being honest. It sort of resembles dried sperm plugs but they look too big, corn snake sperm plugs are small but after drying out they turn a cream colour and go hard.

5. Torzxox

Torzxox PetForums Newbie

Sure, so this is the first time I’ve had a pet snake.. I was told by the pet shop he is 5 years old. His viv is 3 foot il attach a photo so you can see the full set up, I’m using a red heat bulb which is 75w right now. The hot side is 83f & cool side is 74f.
    I have tried to feed him once a week with a medium mouse which the pet shop told me to do and he’s left every single one! He was also sick once but that was around 3 weeks ago now and haven’t happened since

Thanks for replying, means a lot!

Attached Files:

6. Acidic Angel

How are you measuring the temperature?
    Is it with a digital thermometer or dial thermometer?
    Have you got a thermostat on the heat bulb to keep the temperature stable?

The rest sounds about right, but I would switch his feeding to every 10 days on a medium mouse. Once a week is too much for a fully grown corn snake.

7. Torzxox

Torzxox PetForums Newbie

So when I feed him, I place the defrosted warm mouse in his viv & leave it.. do you think I should try feeding him out of his viv in a separate box maybe? I will try every 10 days from now on.. thank you for that advise.

I’m measuring the temperature with thermometers that stick on the glass il attach a photo.. I haven’t got anything on the bulb.. i wasn’t told I needed one when I was setting up.. where can I get one from please?

Attached Files:

8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

We feed ours in his viv but use tongs & wiggle the mouse about, I warm the defrosted mouse in my hand for a good five minutes or more beforehand.

Sometimes 'braining' them with a cocktail stick can make them more appetising, we've done this at my work for the royal pythons, who can be a bit funny with feeding.

We've had our little corn snake about 3 months now, he's a lovely little man
    [​IMG]

9. Acidic Angel

Those thermometers are wildly inaccurate, I'd recommend getting a digital thermometer for the warm side at least to make sure the temperatures are correct.

As for a thermostat, yes it's a vital piece of equipment to keep heating elements in the correct temperature range. For a light emitting bulb you will need a dimming thermostat which you can get online, if you're in the UK I recommend Blue Lizard Reptiles or Swell Reptiles, they're both decently priced and have a large range of things online.
    Just looking at your other picture again I notice you don't have a bulb guard on the either, this is vital as it prevents the snake from reaching the bulb and burning itself or coiling around the bulb and potentially breaking it.

Your other option would be to change to a heat mat, which would need to be placed on the floor of the vivarium inside, then you can get an on/off mat stat to control that and wouldn't need a bulb guard. It would be about the same price whichever option you take.

10. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

There's no need to warm a corn snakes prey up as they lack heat sensing pits that pythons have. Personally id leave longer than 10 days before offering again, offering too much can cause stress.
    you need a much more reliable way to work out the temps, I agree with a digital thermometer or a temp gun. Most of the time, snakes will not feed due to time of the year (breeding season) or husbandry is incorrect. You don't need that red bulb either. Switch to a heat mat or a ceramic bulb with a guard over it.
    I'd also say that the hot end of the tank could do with being increased a bit to 86F

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice