Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please Help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 4karenmm, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 4karenmm

4karenmm PetForums Newbie

I am new to the forum and a new owner of a Weimaraner pup. I adopted her from the local shelter and need some advice. Kayla is approximately 10 weeks old. Who ever had her did not have her tail docked. Is it to late to be done? The vet at the shelter would not do it. The vet did not stated why. I don't know if its because she she is busy or what. I am concerned though to have Kayla under anesthia twice (once for spaying @ the shleter, then again to have her tail docked. Please help:confused:

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    Can I ask why you want her to be docked? Are you going to be working her?

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi there,
    Yes it's too late to have her docked now.
    For a breeder to have a litter docked they must provide proof that the dog will be a working dog.
    Pups are usually docked between 1 - 5 days old.

4. 4karenmm

I just thought that it was supposed it to docked:confused: I will not probably be field working with her though. It is not in the forseeble future. I obviously want to train her as far as obedience,and maybe some field trial.

5. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I love that breed of dog, a family near me own one and its a lovely bouncy thing though when it run up to say hi to me the other day i dont think it knew how to put its brakes on yet lol.

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

It's one of the breeds that can now only be docked if it is going to be worked as this is the official justification for docking. (The tail could get caught in fences etc.)
    There are mixed opinions on the rights and wrongs of docking and how the dogs look with full tails.
    Personally I prefer dogs with full tails. I am about to bring home a Hungarian Vizsla (similar breed) with a full tail after deliberatly finding a breeder that did not dock.

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

It is against the law i think to have its tail docked unless its a working dog,

8. rona

rona Guest

Hi and welcome
    Your dog will be happier with the tail left on

9. asken

asken PetForums Newbie

A friend have two Weimaraner in the same condition, and they look beatiful.

10. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome, its too late to have the tail docked and dont worry about looks in a couple of years time it will be odd to see dogs with docked tails outside the real work dogs

12. 4karenmm

Thank you all very much for all the info you have given me. I think I will stick with leaving her tail alone. Thanks BEX190 for the link to the pic. I am sure she will be beautiful when she is full grown with an undocked tail.:D
    I am looking foward to learning all I can through the web site. It's a great place for us to get information.

13. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Yep deff too late to dock, we breed working gundogs and we dock within in the first couple of days. We need to fill out form after form and docking certificates etc. And it costs quite a bit to dock them, but we need to do as they are both working in field and trials, and could cause more damage to their tails. I think Weims look good with tails :D

14. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I dont understand why people would dock a dogs tail unless it was absolutley necessary :(

15. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF xxxx

16. Hi and welcome! Firstly there is no need to have a weimy tail docked! I have weimys myself and and had they both docked and undocked. The only problem we have encounted with the tails is that they are like whips!

Not vet would dock a tail at that age anyway! unless it were very badly damaged!
    Second!! have I read right! did you say your dog was spayed?
    Would love very much to see so pictures of here! do you have any other info on her!
    regards
    DT

17. 4karenmm

DT,

Just a short reply. I picked up my baby girl yesturday afternoon from the animal rescue. She is doing wonderful and yes she is spayed. That was part of the adoption agreement. After alot of research I am am not having her tail docked. I know she is going to be beautiful when she she grown,tail and all. I will try asap to get a picture of her up, but yesturday she was not feeling well ( she was still in margaritville:eek:) after her spaying surgery. so when she is feeling better we will get some.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice