Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pollykins, Jul 9, 2009.

1. pollykins

pollykins PetForums Newbie

Hi all.
    I have just joined these forums as a last call for help.
    Almost 3 weeks ago (it will be 3 weeks this Sunday) our 14 month old beloved tabby cat Polly was run over by some moron who couldn't even be bothered to stop. The injuries she suffered are extensive and very upsetting to us. She has lost one eye and is almost blind in her other, she had a shattered jaw and a fractured skull along with a rather big gash on top of her head.
    We got her to an emergency vet where they told us that there was little they could do at that time as anesthetic would kill her, they informed us that if she made it past the first 4 hours then the signs would look better. Happily she made it and we were told if she made it through to the next day then they could look more closely at what they could do to help her. Once again she made it through and the vets operated on her, they removed her eye and rewired her jaw together and advised us that we could only take it one day at a time.
    After a week in the vets they decided they could allow her to come home as she was very unhappy and was not eating, they hoped that familiarity would prompt her to eat and drink again. Sadly this was not the case and she deterioated and within 2 days she was back in the vets. They inserted a tube into her and fed and watered her that way, On Monday of this week they allowed her home again after removal of the feeding tube. Once again they informed us that she was not eating and gave us some syringes to feed her with along with some liquid food, they also removed all of her stitches in her jaw and mouth. The harrowing part for us is the fact that the vet has indicated that they are running out of ideas, they even said that if we wished they would be fully willing to put her to sleep if she didnt start eating on her own merits. This is not an option that we would take, until every single avenue has been explored in it's entirity, but at the same time do not wish to see her in this state.
    This is our problem, she is still not eating and is actually refusing syringe fed food and water/cat milk, we are reluctant to go back to the vets as she still has fight in her (at least we believe she has) We have 3 other cats at home and 2 of them are giving her a hard time but not phyisically attacking her just a lot of hissing. Does anyone know of anything we can do to maybe get her to start eating again? We will try anything. We are hoping that someone may know of someone else this has happened to and how they managed to get the cat to eat.
    I forgot to mention Polly gave herself a small wash day before yesterday (front paws and one leg) and repeated the process yesterday.

Any advice positive or negative (if it is for the right reasons) would be welcomed as we now think that through all of our tears we are maybe too close to the incident and are unable to see the answer if its looking at us in the face.

Sorry my first post has been a bit of a read, but we really do need help.
    many thanks
    Gary & Janet

#1 pollykins, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

If she has strated to groom herself have you tried smearing a small amount of the liquid food on to her paw for her to wash off?

Other then that I cannot suggest anything else. Someone with more expereince will be along soon to help you further.

Good luck!

3. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

What a sad story! I have no experience with nursing animals back to health after such injuries sorry but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you and your kitty.

Is there any food that Polly particularly likes for a treat? Maybe nice oily fish might coax her to start eating again?

I think your other cats will be hissing as they won't recognise her scent after trips to the vets etc. I am sure they will settle down once she is healed.

Please keep us posted with her progress, keep positive!

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I would imagine it is going to be a very slow healing process, and 3 weeks really isn't very long. I think for cats, their emotional wellbeing plays a huge part in their recovery from serious illness or injury, and that can take longer to heal than anything. If she has just started to wash herself again, that sounds very positive, it shows how she feels in herself.

Although they hate being syringe fed, and can make it very difficult I would still carry on trying for while longer, as you say she hasn't given up. What sort of foods have you tried to tempt her with. I would imagine if she has spent the passed few weeks with a very sore jaw that they almost become afraid to try food again. They associate anything they ate at that time with pain or discomfort. If her mouth has healed, trying her with something you haven't given her before, may help break that association (if that is the problem). Have you tried her with some roast chicken? You can turn that into a syringable meal quite easily with a food processor, just put in chicken breast and turn to tiny crumbs then add half and half evap and water and blend until its a smoothe paste. You can add some vitamin drops too - abidec are useful. I use that mixture to get kittens started, and I have to fend off the adults, so it has to taste good. Cooked plaice is very soft, nice smell and very tastey mixed with butter and a bit of evap and water to soften it. Not syringable, but you could try just putting some in her mouth. I think if there is no medical reason why she can not eat and you can find the right food to spark her interest back in eating again and she will start to eat for herself again, its just finding that right food. Other things you could try are warmed baby food - but make sure they don't contain onion or onion powder, A/D made by Hills that is syringable if you have to and highly palatable, RC do a powder convalescence food that you mix up with water. Brands chicken essence is something else you could try, you can get it online, or if you have a chinese supermarket near you they sometimes stock it. Smell is very important to their eating, so warming things or trying very smelly foods like sardines (Sainsburys do skinless boneless ones in olive oil that can be turned into a soft mass) might help spark an interest.

Polly is obviously a fighter to come this far, from being given 4 hrs to live, and I hope you manage to find something to get her started, she obviously has a great zest for life, its just a matter of getting over that emotional barrier. Good luck, she is very lucky to have such dedicated owners.

spid likes this.
  5. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

awwwwwwww sad story...

Does she like strong smelling foods like fish, ect..

I would only be putting down ver small portions, like 2 table spoons and try and coach her to eat.

Cats clean themselfs all the time, if i was me, i would think thats a good sign.
    Hope all ends well

6. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear of your cat's accident. Have you tried her with a jar of babyfood. Many years ago when our cat had a broken jaw which was wired we were told by the vet to feed him this. Failing that whatever her favourite food has been can you blend it to a liquid and try feeding her through a syringe or pipette. You could see if she will have a little diluted evap - it shouldn't upset her stomach. You could add a little cooked white fish to the evap and see if it will interest her.

Good luck.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

What horrific injuries and what a fighter - I can't add to what has already been suggested but I hope you have some luck and get her eating again.

8. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

What a horrible thing for Polly & your family to go through - she's so lucky to have you fighting for her. I was going to suggest something with strong smells, but I don't think I can add to the great advice you've already had from Saikou. Just want to wish you all well & fingers crossed that Polly starts eating & gets well soon xx

9. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Poor Polly. You've had some great advice here - everyone always helps out in a crisis on this forum.

Sounds like she's a fighter if she managed to get through those first few days.

Let us know how she gets on from here.

10. pollykins

pollykins PetForums Newbie

Many thanks for all of the kind comments and advice you have given.

I have just returned from work armed with a brand new food processor and some roast chicken. We followed Saikou's recipie and tried polly with some. We put it in a babies bottle and had a reletive amount of success with it. She is not taking in loads but the main thing is that she is taking something.

We think you are all correct when saying that she is a fighter, She, in only 14 months, could put many a person we know to shame with her never say die spirit. I now fully accept that it could be many months before she is better but myself and Janet will be supporting and encouraging her every single step of the way.

Some of you have said Polly is lucky to have us as owners, but it is us who feel lucky having her. I will post some photo's of her soon and update them maybe once a month or so, that way you will be able to share the progress she makes with her.

Once again a warm thankyou to you all.
    Gary and Janet

11. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I can't really add much to the excellent advice you've already had but one thing you could maybe try is what we give to young kittens who won't eat, nutridrops which contain lots of vitimins and is supposed to help with their appetite.

We've had a cat who was hit in the head, by a car we think. She was in shock and could have died but her injuries were nowhere near as bad as Polly's. She lost a tooth and was a bit brain damaged but is OK, she also previously lost her tail!

I wish Polly all the best and hope that she recovers soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice