Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Deleted member 1431051, Jun 3, 2018.

1. My very elderly dog is very poorly and Rainbow Bridge is in sight. She has lost 3 of her 23kg and wants to eat but refuses food. She still wants to go out and she enjoys short walks but how can I give her strength? Today, she eventually tried some wet food, had one of those small cartons of puppy milk from Tesco and a small jar of baby food. She's on Cerenia, Omeprazole and Oxytet so the food needs to be relatively bland but tempting. It may be we've only got a few days but what can I feed her? She won't eat chicken or rice - she doesn't much want to chew. She'll take a small dog biscuit, bite it in two and then look depressed. Yesterday, she ate Rich Tea and wafer thin beef - today, she refused both. But played a bit and asked to go for a few slow, short walks...

2. I feel like she has Addison's but her bloods were all normal apart from liver enzymes which have been high for over 2 years. But I digress... until we give up, what can I feed her?

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Have you recently had her mouth and teeth checked?

What has your Vet said?

Very few dogs will ever refuse liver. You could offer her some, cooked, but allowed to cool right down. Also, sausage can be tempting.

4. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

I'm not a vet and know little of nutrition for sick dogs, but I have heard elsewhere of old dogs with little appetite that liked tuna, potatoes, eggs, brinta (it's some kind of wheat baby food, not sure if it's a thing in the uk) or a combination of those.

Best of luck! I hope she can still enjoy a few good days with you.

5. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

When my Chip was very ill a few years ago he would not eat and I was recommended a liquid food I think
    it was called Liquivite, sorry not sure of the spelling now. I had to syringe feed him it at first but then i put some on small
    portions of his own wet food and it wasn't long before he was eating again. It is a complete food only in liquid form.
    Don't know if she will take it but maybe worth a try. I got it online but can't remember where from now sorry
    Sorry you are going through this and hope she picks up a bit for you and you can have a bit longer with her

7. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Most dogs love cheese - could you try a bit of cheese smeared on other food? Egg, fish (my old girl used to love sardines), maybe pureeing the chicken might help?

I guess at this stage it's a case of giving her anything she might enjoy to make her last days as happy as possible. Thinking of you and hoping you can have a bit longer together. x

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have an old cat on Liquivite and she does seem to like it. The one I get does have a picture of a cat on the tin (tho' there is likely a dog one too). I have to get it online and it's not cheap .. . very bland chicken-based and full of various nutrients. And easy for them to lick up.

9. Thank you. She wants food but doesn't want to eat! I'll try everything but have to be careful with fatty foods as she gets a bit vomity and is on two drugs to stop her throwing up. Her blood test for pancreatitis was borderline x

10. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

tingalay, when my 17 year old didn't eat the vet gave her Hills a/d tinned food for dogs and cats. Its only small tins & I spoon fed it to her, actually I pretended to eat it myself first saying all the silly "yum yum this is lovely" things as you do, & she did eat it & got into the habit of eating again - its well worth trying, it kept Daisy going and she seemed to enjoy it. Its specifically for encouraging dogs & cats to eat. Click on this and it should take you straight to the info for it.
    www.hillspet.com/cat-food/pd-ad-canine-feline-canned
    Your vet will have it or you can get it online.

12. DaisyBluebell

Calvine likes this.
  13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@tingalay: I have a cat who has days when she won't eat and the vet has prescribed very small doses of mirtazapine for her every third day. It does work but has the side-effect of making her very vocal and somewhat euphoric and hyperactive (not sure how dogs react to it). But anything is better than offering food which they won't touch. When they are old and poorly I get to the point of saying they can have whatever makes them happy.

14. I'm so frustrated. She wants to eat but unless I'm wiping baby food under her lip and then letting her lick it off.my hand, we're not getting very far. She wanted to eat mince last night but could only manage thin strands. As soon as she was given a small piece, she mouthed it and spat it out. In desperation, I gave Butcher's with tripe and she made an effort into she got to a chunk. I imagine she feels too sick because of her liver. The instinct to eat is there...

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@tingalay: Can she lick food up? With my poorly cat, I sometimes throw the contents of a pouch or small can that I know she likes in a blender and add some water so it comes out smooth like thick yoghurt with no lumps. Are her teeth OK, no dental/oral problems?

16. DaisyBluebell

That Hill's a/d that I mentioned, if she can have it as you say, you can also put a little water with and put into a syringe to give, or as Calvine says put food in a blender or if you haven't got one do it with a potato masher & make into a paste.

17. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Again later to the party.

Liver problems are horrendous and will make your dog want to eat but just can't. Been there with one of my own dogs. It's really not nice at all. Plus the more the anorexia takes over the less likely they are to eat. It's horrendous.

Is she on any steroid to help with her liver condition? I know my dog with major flare ups had steroids and antibiotics as well as a good liver support. Naturally the steroids helped with the appetite and so throughout her life she battled with an undisclosed liver problem since she was 2. We battled with her weight that she would be skeletal from a flare up to actually obese with fat due to the joy of steroids my vet would say.

18. We don't have any options left. Despite Omeprazole, Oxytetracycline and Cerenia, she is still very unwilling to eat, losing weight and, at pretty much 17 years old, I've made the tough decision to have my beautiful girl put down at home this week. She still loves to go out but not too nourish herself and I have to stop pushing food under her lip to try took tempt her appetite. It breaks my heart as she is my world and she gives meaning to my life. I plan to take her for a favourite walk tomorrow or perhaps Thursday, as the vet is booked for Friday, but I might bring it forward a day out of kindness to her.

soya and DaisyBluebell like this.
  19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this update. However I think you are probably making the kindest decision for your dog.

soya and Deleted member 1431051 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice