Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by travisk88, Jul 7, 2017.

1. travisk88

travisk88 PetForums Newbie

Good morning all.

I hope every one is well.

I'm having a nightmare at the moment feeding my cats. I have two 20 week old Maine coons and they are awesome, no problems except feeding.

The boy will eat everything when ever there is food around. Good lad. But that also means he will eat the girls.

The girl eats very little and sometimes won't eat at meal times and disappears.
    Is she just a grazer? Or am I doing something else wrong?

I feed raw with a small amount of biscuits per day.
    Our daily routine is a big meal in the morning before every one goes to work so 5am. Then a big meal in the evening when the first person gets in around 5pm. And finally a small meal at bed time 9pm.
    Roughly they get 220g food per day each. I use purrform.

Is that too much food?
    Pleeeease help!!!

Attached Files:

2. SpencerK

SpencerK PetForums Member

I think I'm in love with your cats - they are beautiful. I would love to get a couple, but could not vouch for their safety in my area, or even anywhere in the UK. Hope you get your issue sorted out.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi there, 20 week old kittens usually have enormous appetites! Though I've found boys often have better appetites than girls. I never ration food for kittens, they are allowed to eat as much as they want.

Each cat will have a different metabolism and the best way of judging if you are feeding too much is if some food is being left uneaten but the kitten is gaining weight. Weigh your kittens regularly at least once a month, using digital baby scales (buy from ebay around £20). Keep a weight log. If the food is being eaten and the kitten is gaining weight nicely then you need not worry.

I find girls often tend to like grazing over a period of several hours whereas boys often wolf down the lot in one go. To prevent the male stealing the girl's food buy her a Sureflap Microchip feeder. She needs to have her food resources protected.

Fetch or Zooplus UK are usually cheapest for these.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/feeders/programmable/479534

Paddypaws likes this.
  4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Has she been spayed yet? Mitzy drove me to the edge of despair with her poor appetite, until she was spayed! Now I have to really control what she eats.

chillminx likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good point Paddypaws. :) At nearly 5 months she should be spayed, if not done already.

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Stunning kitties. I would give her food in another room so she can eat in peace.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice