Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Wesley1, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Wesley1

Wesley1 PetForums Junior

Hi,

I have a 18month old rescue spayed moggy called Ellie. She is an indoor cat. She was found as a stray lived 5 months of her life in a cattery and then went to a Fosterer for 3 weeks. She was allowed outside once with the Fosterer got wet and didn't like it so didn't go out again.
    A couple of weeks ago we went away for the weekend and our friends looked after her. When we came home Ellie was no where to be found. After searching the streets we came back and she was waiting at the patio doors to come in. We think she pushed our bedroom window open and jumped onto the roof of her run. A couple of days after that we went on holidays and she went to my Grandmas to stay.
    Since being back she has been crying constantly at the door. She won't settle and is crying all the time. If she goes in her run she cries unless I'm in there with her. I have tried going in her run with her, distracting her with toys and treats. She just goes back and cries.
    I am at my wits end. The reasons she is an indoor cat is because of the dangers of the outdoors and because we don't have a cat flap so I don't like thought of her being out all day if we are in work.

Does anyone have any advice please she's driving me crazy.

I've read somewhere if you let a cat out when it's raining they won't want to go out then. Is it true?

Thanks xx

2. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

Poor Ellie! At 18 months old, she is probably wanting to go out and play. You need to make sure that there is plenty for her to do indoors, scratching posts, toys etc that she can play with when you are not there as cats can get bored very easily especially at her young age.
    As for going out in the rain, no, that is definitely not true! My cats have always had access to outdoors and would often prefer to be out whatever the weather, certainly in their younger years. Dennis had a kennel outdoors which he spent a lot of time in, Flo seems to prefer to hide under the guttering when it's raining. You may just have a cat who prefers to be outdoors, hunting, playing and generally doing cat things in the fresh air.

3. Wesley1

Wesley1 PetForums Junior

She has loads of toys, a scratching post, cat tree and multiple beds. She gets loads of attention and up until this last week has been contented indoors.

4. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

aww she sounds really confused , give her time to settle after all she s been through, rescue , foster, coming to you, holidays,grandma's, cats love stability and routine, the fact that she was waiting for you at the door means she loves her home :) but she feels unsettled and feels the need to explore her surroundings, i think she got frightened been left and shut indoors when you were away and probably thinks it will happen again, lots of reasurrence and cosy nights in the warm ,with lots of treats as well ,bribery goes a long way to building that trust again, how long ago was she spayed as i think it can take a while for the urges to disappear , it does with males , not sure about females , i hope she settles soon for you, its so hard when all we want to do is keep them safe:eek:

5. Wesley1

Wesley1 PetForums Junior

I know we only want her to be happy but safe too. She was spayed not long after she got to the rescue she was with them for about 5/6months and we got her on 29th December 2012.
    I did wonder if being with my Grandma has unsettled her a bit although she's been there before and had a great time as she was spoilt rotten.
    Thank you for your reassurance. I hate to hear her cry I hope she settles soon

6. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

She may be crying because she is unsettled....
    Do you have a feliway evaporator? It might help calm her down.
    I'd give her plenty of fuss and attention, and hopefully, she will settle down again.
    Once it gets cold, rainy and stormy, she will feel less interested in the outdoors, I bet.

7. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

My cat would never settle being indoors. He loves being outside and if I tried to keep him in he would be miserable. He is young and wants to play!! I would see how you go on with her, hopefully she will settle down back to the indoor life. If it is clear that she is not settling you may have to think again. Its not an easy decision to make I know.. I have one indoor cat and one outdoor. In the end I did what was right for them. You know your cat, its a decision only you can make. Give it time and assess it again in another couple of wks. x

8. Wesley1

Wesley1 PetForums Junior

I've had a feliway plug in for nearly a week now and Ellie seems slightly calmer but still does cry at the door. How long do I need to leave it before it will take an effect if it does have an effect?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice