Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Annie38, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I took my kitten Sheldon to the vets to be neutered yesterday and picked him up in the evening. He looked fine but when I got him home and tried to get him out of his carry case I found he couldn't walk properly. My boyfriend suggested he might just be groggy still and to let him sleep it off. I did but when I woke up this morning he didn't seem much better. He refused to move much and when he did kept falling over.

I took him straight to the vet as soon as they opened but the vet was stumped. He said in 20 odd years castrating thousands of cats he'd never seen a reaction like it. Both legs on his left side are incredibly incredibly weak. He gave him an anti-inflammatory and then took him away downstairs for observation.

I'm at work now beside myself with worry and just wondered if anybody had ever had anything similar on here?? The vets lack of ideas didn't help and all I can think about was a rabbit I had as a child who's back legs wouldn't work and they put him down :(

2. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

I'm sorry I haven't had anything similar but just wanted to say am thinking of you and Sheldon. You could try phoning another vets for a second opinion.

3. Hannahmourneevans

Hannahmourneevans PetForums VIP

I have never heard of anything like this :(

I too, would get a second opinion x

4. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Sounds like he is having a very bad reaction to the anaesthetic. I am surprised your vet has never seen this, as its not 'that' uncommon. He needs to be on IV fluids.

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

How worrying for you. I think I would ring another vet up.
    Also I would ask your vet what was he like before you picked him up.
    Didn't they check him over before you arrived to take him home?
    I am wondering if it is a reaction to the Anaesthetic.
    Hope someone on here comes up with some more advice for you.
    Please keep us up dated x

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear about Sheldon. I really feel for you both. Is this the same vet who carried out the neutering? His remarks sound very defensive to me-I can't believe in 20 years he's not seen a cat who had some sort of adverse reaction post-neutering/surgery owing to anaesthetic or otherwise. I'm not saying things like this are very common but they can occur. While I agree at this point it's difficult to pinpoint the exact problem, offering no explanation at all is a bit strange.

How soon after the op did you collect him? I find it odd he was sent home like this. I assume he's still at the vets now?

I really hope your little man makes a full recovery. Fingers crossed for you.

7. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

Thank you for all your replies, I'm not sure about phoning another vet - all the vets in my area are connected, and the vet I saw did speak to some of his colleagues who didn't seem to know anything either.

Ang if it's a reaction to the anaesthetic do you know what this could mean? I mean will he get better, or is it something really serious? I

Jill, the vet took ages bringing him up to me when I went to pick him up, I had an appointment getting my other three cats vaccinated at the same time, so I kind of just gave him a little stroke and didn't note that he was lying down the whole time, I was juggling so many cat carriers I didn't really notice until I got home. I'm actually kind of angry, I would have thought they would have kept him in if they'd been paying any kind of attention as when I got him home he literally fell over straight away, so clearly hadn't been able to walk for awhile.

I was told to ring them at 2 o'clock if I hadn't heard anything, I feel so sick it's ridiculous :(

8. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

Hi Ianthi

I can't be sure who actually carried out the neutering, but I left him with a female vet and the one I took him back to today was male, but there are always quite a few vets around so I couldn't be 100% who performed it. I can't really remember if he seemed defensive - to be honest as soon as he started saying he had no idea what it was I was trying really hard not to get upset.

I'm not sure when they actually operated on him, but they had me drop him off at 9am yesterday, and I didn't pick him up until half 6 in the evening, after work. I'm quite upset they didn't note his symptoms, it was very obvious as soon as I got home so how they couldn't notice I don't know :( He is still at the vets now yes.

I've had three other cats neutered there and never experienced anything like this, it's awful :confused:

Thank you for your kind words, I really hope he's okay too :(

9. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

I would be angry too.

It is reassuring that some others have heard of it though.

You could try phoning a vet in another area just for advice, with the possibility of taking him in. They won't ask who your vet is.

Just thinking of ways to help you find out a bit more because you must be going out of your mind. Bless him, just remember that he is with the vets now so in educated and experienced hands (even if you aren't feeling too warm towards that individual at the moment ) there will be other vets with him too.

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this - Although I have a cat - she is a stray and pretty healthy so I have no experience, however, this link may help you.

Anesthesia in Cats - VetInfo

I would be asking the vet if there were any complications during the surgery especially with the administering of anaesthetic, and recovery stages.

I would also ask what health checks he performed prior to surgery.

11. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I hope your boy will be ok.
    My boy had this problem aswell and like Ang has said its not that uncommon for cats to have a reaction.
    My boy was fine after 3 days but it was still a very worrying time.

12. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

hoping Sheldon will be ok x x

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I find it very strange indeed nothing was mentioned at all when they discharged him. Unless it was very soon after the op which could explain his drowsiness-nonetheless they should have told you this- I can't believe they didn't notice things weren't quite right! At any rate they should have checked him over so pleading they hadn't noticed isn't a defence. This and the very defensive remarks later are making me increasingly suspicious, to be honest. I know it's very difficult right now but I'd certainly discuss these issues with them at a later point. I know I wouldn't be happy, at ll.Unless you get some very plausible answers ( and right now I can't think of any ) I'd report this to the RCVS. Have you paid the bill yet?

Fingers crossed you little man overcomes this!

14. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

Thank you all - having some words of advise really helps ease my mind a little. 2 and quarter hours to go until I'm supposed to ring and see how he is - I will keep you all posted.

In the meantime I think I'll take some of your advice and have a hunt for a vets further afield to ask...

15. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I was too upset this morning to find my words, but I'll certainly have something to say later on. How do I go about reporting this to the RCVS? I'm getting increasingly more angry to be honest... you're right, there is no defense.

Now you mention it they made me pay the bill before they'd even bring him up to me... not something they did with any of my cats I've had neutered before... Might just be a coincidence though :confused:

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Right now I'd concentrate on getting your little man over this episode. You've enough to be worried about at the moment!

Before submitting a complaint, the RCVS expect you to take the matter up with the practice beforehand. Unless things are resolved satisfactorily then you pass things on to them. So sometime soon I'd arrange a meeting regardless with the Practice Manager/Head vet to discuss the issues and express your dissatisfaction. In addition it's always good to have things in writing so I'd write a letter of complaint to the practice. It's also advisable to obtain a copy of the clinical notes there and then before you give them any hint you're uphappy. :) If necessary I can help you along the way!

I truly hope poor Sheldon is improving as we write! Fingers crossed

17. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

Thank you, I'm going to call the vets soon and will let you know what they say. And I'll talk to the manager when I'm hopefully picking him up (all fingers and toes crossed anyway) If you could help me along the way that would be brilliant.

Will they just give me a copy of the clinical notes on request then? I've never had anything go wrong like this so don't really understand how it all works

18. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I called the vet early and could only speak to the receptionist who said he's been eating and seems a little better but is still off his legs, she said the vet will call me back once she's done in surgery, after 3, to discuss it further. Not really sure if it's a good or a bad from what she said.... :confused: And now I have more waiting :(

19. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

All this waiting must be awful for you!

At least he's eating which is a good sign. I'm glad the vet is calling you back. I'd be interested to know what explanation he gives. I'd remain calm for now and not mention anything else just yet! :)

We're all keeping our fingers crossed here!

Have PMd you!

20. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

Years ago one of our cats Baloo had a bad reaction to an anaesthetic - we picked him up from the vets got him home and her crawled out of the carrier using his front legs and spent 12 hrs under the bed with his mouth hanging open, completely incontinent. When I saw how he was I called the vet, because he had such thick fur they had mistakenly thought that the original dose of anaesthetic hadn't penetrated the skin and had given him another - clearly the first had, they just hadn't given it time to work.

I have no idea how on earth they got him into the carrier in such a state and to release him like that is wrong. The fact that they didn't tell me what had happened is even worse.

I would be asking who let your come home like that - surely, to get him back in his carrier they must have seen how immobile he was?

Actually I would be asking for a full explanation in writing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice