UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My name is tor and I am new to this forum. I need some advice please. I have a Siamese x called Miranda. I have had her since she was 12 weeks. She had a bit of cystitis when I first got her but that cleared up with the right medication. Anyway she is now just over one year old and 3 weeks ago we got a st Bernard puppy. Ever since then she has weed on the dogs beds. She has a litter tray that she still uses. She still goes the loo outside. She plays with the pup. Stays in the house more since he came but still weeks in the bed. I have had her wee tested but there has been no problem. She has been on zylkene, cystese and metacam but is still no better. So now I think it is behavioural. I wash all the bedding in biological washing powder. I have tried absolutely everything but nothing is working. Please someone help. This cat means the world to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi I tried the tin foil. Lay it all over the dogs beds. About an hour later heard a noise and went in the kitchen to find Miranda having a whale of a time jumping all over it purring away to her self. She had also had a wee on it. Any more advise PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Your cat's behaviour is territorial, and basically she is objecting to the new puppy invading her space. It doesn't matter what you put on the puppy's bed, your cat will still want to scent mark it for as long as she feels threatened.

A new dog/puppy needs introducing very gradually to a resident cat, if the cat is to accept it and not object to the invasion. Did you follow all the advice given in the links Broccoli has given you? If not, I would go back to square one and start again with the slow introductions.

Also, do a lot of scent swapping, stroke the puppy then stroke the cat, so their scents are mixed up with yours.

Always feed the dog and the cat in separate rooms.

Make sure there is at least one part of the house where the cat can go to get away from the dog at all times. Use baby gates as barriers to keep the dog away from the cat's safe areas of the house. Also keep the cat and dog separately when you are out of the house (so they cannot see each other) Also keep them separate at night.

Make sure there are places high up where the cat can sit away from the dog e.g. a sturdy cat tree where the cat can snooze.

Hopefully as the cat begins to feel a bit safer she will stop the scent marking behaviour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.