Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

please help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by digby0905, Jan 16, 2012.

1. digby0905

digby0905 PetForums Newbie

hi,
    any advice gratefully received.
    i bought a 9 week old kitten at xmas, she ate and drank perfectly until she had her vaccinations on last thursday, since then she is lethargic, has eaten virtually nothing and only drinks a little if we bring the milk or water to her. she was seen in the vet hospital on saturday and again at the vets today who gave her antibiotics as she has a temp.im worried sick..she has lost so much weight and has no kittenness left about her..all she does is sleep or attempt to lick us all.
    please help.

2. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

it sounds like she needs to be kept in on a drip, so either take her back now, or seek a second opinion asap

3. digby0905

honestly we have tried, took her to emergency hospital on saturday and they gave her some jabs which have done nothing and then back today to be told she was under weight- she will be she has not eaten since thursday and has a temp and needed anti-b. we are forcing her to drink some fluids but i dont under stand what is wrong with her, has loose stools and is on occassion sick.. is this a reaction to the immunisations??

4. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

take her to another vet as this is not normal, it definitely sounds like she should be on a drip. A quick test for this is to pinch her skin and fur gently and then let go really quickly if it takes a long time for the skin and fur to go back into place she is dehydrated and needs to be on a drip ASAP. Try giving her something that smells really strong like fish to encourage her to eat and try to get her to drink even if its only a little bit.

5. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

Get her to another vet as a matter of extreme urgency. Cats simply cannot go this long without eating, and as she's only a kitten, it's imperative she gets looked at and put on a drip at the very least. Keep us posted, but please don't leave her any longer.

6. digby0905

she - tilly- has had a small ammount of milk, found drinking out of my daughters milk cup just now..ill be taking her to a different vet in the morning as the ones ive seen seem to be leaving it too long to assist her..thank you.x

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I really wouldnt wait until the morning.From what you have said this kitten needs emergency treatment now.If she is drinking cows milk this will not be helping her,as most cats are lactose intollerant.

8. digby0905

it's kitten milk? is this ok? she had some cows milk, but we are trying her with kitten milk

#8 digby0905, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry,you said drinking out of your daughters milk cup :confused: I assumed you meant cows milk .I still would advise getting her to a vet this evening.

10. digby0905

sorry i did go back and change it as realised my mistake...quite stressed...

11. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Definately a case of a vet - dont mean to be harsh but if the kitten were a human that was in this way you would take them for a 2nd opinion, to me my cats are part of my family and i would get them looked at, as a responsible adult and owner

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice