Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by lizzylou, Jan 16, 2012.

1. lizzylou

lizzylou PetForums Newbie

I have a 12 month old cat and have just brought a 3 month old kitten into the home. All the books say you should introduce them gradually, which I have done. At first Anouska (the cat) wasn't too bad with Sasha (the kitten) but now when I put them together she jumps on him and bites him. I'm badly in need of advice and would be grateful for any help.

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum :)

How long have you had the new kitten?

3. lizzylou

We got him on the 8th January, so just over a week.

4. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Still very early days :) so dont panic!

It sounds very much like your resident cat is just showing the new little intruder who is boss! You will be seeing a lot of the pouncing over the coming weeks, maybe even months!

I know it looks scary, and I know it's so hard to tell whether they are fighting badly, but in time you will come to know the difference.

I still have rough and tumbles 2 months down the line, and my new little one is very good at making horrible noises when he is being pounced on, even though no damage is being done!!

5. lizzylou

Anouska bites the new kitten, is this OK? Obviously I don't leave them and I take him away from her when she bites him but it really scares me. My breeder told me that her stud cat killed a kitten by biting it's neck and that really worried me.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

its very early days, it does take time, keep an eye on them, hopefully in afew weeks things will settle down. keep us posted, do you have any pictures of them.:)

7. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Is she drawing blood? I have to admit I found it almost impossible to know if my older cat was doing any damage .... it certainly looked as though she was! :eek: If it's not something you are used to seeing, yes it can be very scary! Though having your breeder tell you that, no wonder you are even more worried!!

As long as you are there keeping an eye on them, then it would be highly unlikely too much damage can be done .... you could intervene. As it's still only a week since little one moved in, make sure you have a 'safe room' for him to go too, or for you to put him in if things are looking too ugly.

You will find threads on this forum with lots of help in making sure the cats are integrated properly. Unfortunately there is nothing to say they will ever get on, but they will learn to tolerate each other.

It does get easier as the kitten grows, it always looks so much worse when they are still so small.

8. lizzylou

I do have some photos, I will post some soon. I just hope they start getting on soon. Thanks for the advice.

9. lizzylou

She isn't drawing blood and the kitten has his own room so it isn't difficult to separate them but it's really scary to see the way she jumps on the poor little thing. I hope things calm down soon.

10. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Hopefully they will :)

11. lizzylou

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll let you know what happens.:)

12. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

It doesn't sound too bad, really.
    The little one needs to learn who is boss, and Anoushka is teaching him.
    How does Sascha react? Is he backing away from her all the time, truly scared, refusing to go anywhere near her, or is he drawing her out and being brazen?

It may just be that he is determining how far he can go without being thumped. That's what little boys do, human or feline doesn't make much difference. Children will always test just how far they can push it.....
    You tell them NO, and they try again and again, till you either give in or smack them. So if he is egging her on before the pouncing starts, he is probably just testing if and when Anoushka is going to call his bluff.

13. lizzylou

Hello, Jiskefet, sorry I haven't replied before. I can blame work for that. I think what you say about Sasha is true, he is just seeing how far he can go before Anouska thumps him. They are getting on much better now, they even occasionally eat from the same bowl. They seem to play a lot, running and chasing each other up and down the stairs.
    Thank you very much for the help.

14. lizzylou

I really appreciate all the help and good advice I have received from you all on this site. It was really useful. Thank you everybody xx

15. Kattkinkatt

Kattkinkatt PetForums Junior

Hi

I agree with the other replies, time will settle things down, just a couple of other thoughts:
    Give them plenty of space and escape routes when they are together.
    Remember at 12 months your older cat is still a kitten really, so may me more playful than it looks.
    Try feeding them tasty things together, so that they start to get a positive assosiation with each other.
    Try not to intervene too much, as little squabbles are how any gang sort out the order of things.
    Sometimes getting out the toys (tickle stick etc), is a good way to distract them from each other, rather than intervening directly.
    Might be worth triming the tips off the claws.

I would also continue to seperate them when you are not around for now. :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice