Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Zayna, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Really need some advice guys!
    We have a 5 yr old rescue greyhound. We've had
    her for about 6 months and have never had any problems. This morning my partner went to stroke her and for no reason at all she went for him biting him several times in the head and face. He is ok thank god but has a nasty cut on his head and bruising. She's calm now but we've got no idea why she would do this???? She has never ever been aggressive before. I just don't know what to do could this just be a one off or is she likely to attack again now she's done it once?
    How would u guys deal with this???

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I would take her straight to the vet - maybe she is ill and that caused her to lash out at your partner. I think for any unusual behaviour the first call is the vet.

3. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I second that - unprovoked aggression is often a symptom of pain or sickness. Get her to the vet and have her thoroughly checked out. Has she shown any indication of pain before?

4. CarrieH

CarrieH PetForums Member

Agree about going to the vet to find out if she's ill or hurting in any way.
    Does the rescue you got her from offer backup support, if so contact them.

5. wynnpot

wynnpot PetForums Junior

Another vote for a vet check

6. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Yeah I'm going to make an urgent appointment, she has never acted like this before or showed any signs of pain. The thing that's worried me is that she didn't just bite him once she kept going for him until he got away.

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I'm a bit confused, you say he went to stroke her and she bit his head and face, surely the first snap would have been at the hand being as that is what was touching her or going to touch her :confused:

Were you there when this happened and did you see it ?

8. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

Would get to vets, sighthounds have a very low tolerance for pain.
    Hope all goes well

9. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yep get to the vet to rule out anything medical ASAP. Other than I can think of is the way he approached the dog being a rescue, did he bend over her for example, was he in her face, maybe the way he was approaching bought back memories and she reacted if she was abused? Hope the vets goes okay and your partner is as okay as can be :) Must have been an awful experience

10. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Get her to the vets for a check up.
    And speak to the rescue for advice and support.
    Was she sleeping and she was taken by suprise - I assume he must of bought his face in close to her face as he stroked her, if asleep maybe he frightened her?
    I would definately rule out any medical issues by going to the vet and get support from the rescue.

11. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I hope the vets find something they can put right for her, it must have been a horrible shock. I agree with Jackie99, perhaps something triggered a memory of abuse? Something similar happened with Amber a few months after we adopted her, but she's never done it since. Perhaps call the rescue group you got her from? The group I got Amber from were very helpful after she had her funny turn. xxx

12. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Thanks she is booked in for the vets tomorrow. I wasn't there when it happened but according to my partner they were laying on the sofa together he leant over to stroke her and she lunged at him the cuts and bruises on his head are really nasty Im just in shock that she has done this. I will get in touch with the rescue too. Hopefully we cn get to the bottom of this

13. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Good luck with the vets, presume she's not shown any signs of sleep startle before, with them both relaxing on the sofa its a possibility she wasn't fully awake. Hope your OH is feeling better soon & gets the bites checked out if they've broken the skin.

#13 2Hounds, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  14. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

That was what crossed my mind - excuse the pun ..... let sleeping dogs lie. Could be she was just startled and everything from there happened so quickly.

Have seen this happen in a kennel situation whereby there are a few dogs sleeping together and one gets irritable when nudged or touched.

Hope you get to the root of it though.

15. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

zayna!! When did you get a dog?! I thought your OH had said no?! Where have i been?

Yeah take her to the vet ...i can see you've already booked an appointment - what vet works on a Sunday - you have amazing vets then lol

16. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

How did it go at the vets today?

A lot of greyhounds are sensitve about their eyes being touched I know Button doesn't like you messing about with her ears. Maybe she was sleeping and he woke her up and as she didn't realise who or what it was she snapped.

17. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Lets know how you get on at the vets and am glad your partner is okay.

18. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

I've had a dog for the last 6 months lol ad1980 where hav u been??! I think he startled her a bit when he went to touch her but what's worrying is the fact she went on attacking even when she realised it was him. Oh is in a&e atm his head is all swollen up and his in alot of pain that's how bad the attack was. Am taking her to vets in a bit hope I can get to the bottom of this!!!

19. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

How awful, hope OH gets patched up ok and the wounds heal nicely.

Fingers crossed what ever the cause, it was just a one off and everything settles back down again with no repeats of this incident.

20. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Clearly i've not been around too much lol. oh well..nice to know you have a dog, but on the other hand not so nice to hear shes attacked your OH.

Let us know what the vet says hun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice