Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lucia waterson, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Lucia waterson

Lucia waterson PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone
    I have a 6 week old Great Dane pup with diarrhoea. I got him at 5 weeks old. From the day I got him his stool was watery so I gave him a deworming pill that I got from the vet. The worms died but his stools got even worse so I took him to the vet, he vaccinated my pup and said his tummy was upset so he gave me some medicine and said his stool would be normal in 3 days. Well that did not work. I talked to the vet again en he said I have to give him cornflower, that did not work
    I phoned the vet again and he told me that he has no idea why my pup has diarrhoea. I went on the internet and read that I should starve him for 24 hours and give him plenty of water. But he’s stools are still very runny. My pup is full of life and playful except for the runny tummy. PLEASE HELP DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Lucia:crying:

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

He is very young to have left his mother.. should be about 8 weeks unless there is a good reason....

Is he on the same food as he was weaned onto... I gave all my Pups new owners a good supply of my puppy food...

#2 momentofmadness, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. rona

rona Guest

I wouldn't normally suggest this for a puppy your age, but as your vet seems useless and because of where you live, I will suggest, putting your pup on white fish and rice for several days. Make sure there are no bones. Then look at changing onto a different diet once the tum has settled
    Also get some of this
    Protexin Prokolin Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste - From £7.48

Is it possible for you to see another vet?

4. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

Im sorry to hear your little one is not well. He seems very young to have left his mother, I thought they were meant to be 8 weeks before they left home.
    Might I suggest revisiting your vets. Also maybe a bland diet of chicken, rice, white fish.

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I go with Rona here.That is a very young pup and should really still be with its mom for a bit longer.however,now it is with you,i too would go for a rice/fish diet for a few days,until the poo is solid.Then begin to introduce a good quality puppy food slowly(in with the rice/fish to begin with,slowly lessoning the amount of rice/fish over a period of a few days).
    I am very surprised your vet vaccinated such a young pup,but i guess different countries do things different ways.
    Make sure you worm your pup regularly ,as directed by your vet.

6. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Please do not starve your pup for 24 hours - while this is fine for an adult dog this is very dangerous for a puppy.

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

As others have said, don't starve your pup, it's too young for that. Feed cooked white fish/chicken and rice for a few days. Is there no set regulation or whatever for the age of pups being sold? 5 weeks is extremely young, even for a GD.

8. Lucia waterson

Lucia waterson PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for everyone’s help I will try the fish and rice.
    Sorry did not know my pup was to young they sell puppy’s here from 5 weeks old all my dog where that age when I got them, will not make that mistake again.
    Will post again to let everyone know if it worked

THANK YOU ALL
    Lucia

9. rona

rona Guest

Good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice