Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

please help with poop eating beagle

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by victoriaj, May 26, 2010.

1. victoriaj

victoriaj PetForums Member

hi, i have an 8 month old beagle. my problem is that she loves to eat other dog poop. she now has a baskerville muzzle on when we go out and i'm hoping this will break the habit. we have been using it for a month now and this morning i took the muzzle off and leaded her up as we came off the fields and she grabbed a bit of poop that i hadn't seen and ate it. now i'm worrying that she will never get out of the habit. i have also been reading up on missing link that will give her any enzymes or nutrients that she might be missing in her diet. she is fed on skinners hypoallergenic duck and rice.

do any of you guys have a similar problem with your dogs at all?
    has anyone tried missing link at all and does it work?

would be grateful for any advice as i hate the thought of her wearing a muzzle for the rest of her life when she goes for a walk :(

2. Alli and Trixy

Alli and Trixy PetForums Junior

I have the same problem with my one year old dog, Im usually picking other dogs poo up so she wont eat it. Ive never thought of a muzzle xx

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi there.Iv been through this with my dog,although i must say,it was mainly her own that she ate.It can be a really hard thing to stop im afraid.
    Has your dog had a health check recently? are your dogs poos runny/loose?
    I found giving raw marrow bones really helped,as they contain stuff (think its the amino acids) that dried food doesnt.
    Is it just ANY poo? or warm fresh poo/old dry poo? sorry gross question i know!

4. victoriaj

hadn't thought of marrowbones!! is she old enough to have them?
    she has no preference with old or fresh poo!!
    her poos were very runny and she had terrible wind until we got the muzzle and now she can't eat the poo hers are nice and firm and she only poos 2-3 times a day :)

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Yes marrow bones will be just fine and do seem to help.
    Its good her poo has improved,poo eating gives them awful tummies!
    Just keep using the muzzle for times when you cant supervise her eating the poo,remove any in the garden.Try and distract with treats when she goes to eat any poo,so she learns to leave it and praise her for doing so.

Just purely out of interest,what food did the breeder feed prior to you using the skinners? and did she do it then too,or just since you changed?

6. mum2three

mum2three PetForums Junior

Hi, my dog likes to eat horse & sheep poo. I've improved it by teaching him the leave command at home. I know many people hate Victoria Stillwell but I used a method I saw her do and that was to hold a treat infront of your dog (have more treats in the other hand out of sight) and tell him to leave it. He will probably try to get it but you mustn't give it to him, when he eventually moves his nose away from the treat reward him with a treat from the other hand. Keep doing this until he turns away as soon as you tell him to leave it. Then you put the treat on the ground and reward him when he leaves it, eventually you should be able to put it right by his feet and he should leave it. I've seen people training to the point where they can place the treat on the dogs nose.
    Now I just say leave it in a stern voice and he listens (he does still try to eat poo and gets away with it when I haven't noticed whats about to happen though). I think he is slowly losing interest and doing it less and less. Hope this helps:)

7. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Alfie our beagle loves to eat horsey poo,but we have been really working on the leave command (SAME AS MUM OF 3) and this is working a treat,find something that she is obsessed by,in our case socks and slippers and drop,right by her,tell her to leave,she will get to the point where she will just look at it,and then reward with a treat.We can put treats on Alfies paws and tell him to leave and he does.Once you have a good firm leave,you should be able to banish the muzzle.Also have you considered a halti head collar,maybe that will give you abit more control when you are walking her as it should keep her head raised from the ground.Good luck

8. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

Olly loves poo but only his own. He's very fussy! lol:D

We've tried everything pineapple in his food tablets from the vets but nothings worked. I think he liked the variety of flavours.;)

We literally just have to watch him like a hawk and as soon as he's done it call him to us and give him a treat. We also try not to let him see us picking it up as we dont want it to become a game. He has stopped eating it as much as he now runs to us when he's done one but now and again he has a quick bite.

9. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

Bobby only ever tried to pick up and eat his own poo till i changed him on to JWB he has never tried to pick up another dogs poo but when we first got him we had to teach him that when i say or anyone else says no that he hasn't to touch the thing he wants i also put a little bit of hot sauce down on it too it worked as he didn't touch it again.

I know its harder when out on walks and i've not expeirinced this problem with bobby....

good luck hope you can get it sorted :D

*Kara*

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive had to teach molly the leave command, started by leave in a loud, sharp voice noise aversion worked she looked straight p in shock and then i was there praising and treating this has to be done the second they look up. I was told that as molly didnt eat her own poo or our other dogs as they are fed on the same food that it sometimes very appealing to dogs when its the poo from a dog on a poor diet so much is undigested so comes out much like a treat to a dog, very rare does she eat it now on some occesions i can see if she is sniffing it for more than just a passing sniff she is going to pick it up but a "leave it" is enough now.

11. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I read that eating poo from a herbivore would actually be good for dogs, as it provides the dogs with beneficial bacteria, which prevents allergies. In nature they would eat carcasses, and if they cannot have them, this is a substitute for them. Also, I have never heard that poo from a herbivore would be harmful. Ours used to eat rabbit, moose and reindeer droppings and they have never had any food allergies or problems related to eating poo.

Doggy doo is another matter, of course. :arf:

12. leashedForLife

hey, vic! :--)
    i would *not* let her off-lead w/o the muzzle - or further from me than i can SEE dog-stool, which might be 4-ft in 6-inch grass.

i would lay $$ that she ate other dog-stool this AM that U did not know about, as she snatched-up that bit
    right in front of U, which was hard not to notice. :( if she has to wear a basket-muzzle, thats not terrible -
    U are more bothered than the dog, i am sure; for her a muzzle means WALKS! :thumbup:

possible causes:
    did she come from a hunting-kennel? or a pet-shop where she was closely confined with no toys?
    or a breeder who kept the pups + dam in an I/O run attached to a shed, or in a pen?

any of these situations mean multiple dogs + multiple stools in a space, OR one pup in a boring sterile environment -
    either one leads to a breakdown in a dogs impulse to NOT soil their immediate area, as they are forced to -
    they cannot toilet elsewhere. :( typically such pups are difficult to housetrain, and also prone to eat stool.

eating herbivore stools is normal - dogs eat horse, sheep, deer, etc, for the green nutrients;
    they cannot digest it themselves, so they eat it pre-digested. :eek:
    Barley Grass (powdered product), Norwegian Kelp, Missing-Link blend, etc, are all non-stool sources.
    leave-it is still needed for most dogs - herbivore-stool attracts them.
    teaching Dog-Zen is easy, and the training requires no raised-voices or scolding.

i used to pick-up all the stool in our pasture for 48-hours after we wormed the stock, to keep the dog out of it;
    i did NOT want him to eat horse or sheep meds! :eek: but otherwise, i did not worry about it.

i WOULD however be concerned about dogs who eat cat-stool or dog-stool; there are GI-parasites, bacteria, etc,
    that are not native to that dog, and they are exposed by eating other carnivores stool.

DUCK + GOOSE droppings are a risk - they give **terrible** diarrhea, and can contain toxic bacteria
    from Blue-green Algae that can hospitalize any dog, or even kill a small dog or a puppy; the diarrhea alone is dangerous
    to small, young, immune-compromised or elderly dogs.
    i would not let any dog eat waterfowl droppings - but they *Smell* irresistible to pups and many adult dogs, too.

i;d stick with the muzzle, hun - and adding Barley-Dog, Kelp, or Missing-Link, etc, may help, too.

so can Organic Yogurt (plain or vanilla), PROBIOTICS (Udos Choice is good), and Digestive Enzymes
    (RenewLife Digest-More ULTRA is a good name brand).
    i usually sprinkle the powder from the capsule onto the yogurt, mix it, and plop it right on the dogs meal -
    i;ve never had a dog refuse it, they don;t notice the powder which is tasteless. ;)

hang in there, Beagles are intense about scent - its hard to retrain anything involving odor-attractants.
    --- terry

13. victoriaj

thankyou so much guys for your advice i really appreciate it

bearpaw she was on a mixture of scrambled egg and yoghurt and dry kibble and tripe when we got her

leashed for life we have tried natural yoghurt but not the missing link which we were thinking of using

we taught her the leave command and for a while it worked really well until she one day decided that she was gonna eat the poo no matter what, the muzzle really is a last resort for us

i will def get her some marrowbones and see if that helps too :)

14. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Was this an eye examination by any chance? :rolleyes: :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice