Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help!! What’s wrong with my cat!!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Rhiannon Murray, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Rhiannon Murray

Rhiannon Murray PetForums Newbie

2 days ago I noticed a small lump under my cats chin/jaw area.. I googled it and it either lipoma or leukaemia. A cat I had a few years back died of leukaemia so I don’t think Finley has it now as I can remember how my other cat looked and acted when he had it. His poops are dry and solid (not diarrhoea), he’s interested in food but only small amounts at a time, his gums are pink and he’s not snotty etc. He still responds to being called and when I pet him he purrs and moves his paws as usual showing me he’s comfortable. He’s been sleeping a lot and this ‘lump’ or swelling appeared pretty much over night too... I really don’t know what to do. Obviously take him to the vet but can’t necessarily afford it either. I’ll pay what I have to pay of course, I just don’t know what to do here. I’m lost. Please help.

2. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

He needs the vet, it could an abscess appearing that quickly. If he is eating and drinking, he will be fine to wait until tomorrow.
    Can you access a PDSA vet, if not an easivet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Rhiannon Murray

Great thanks so much, there’s a vet locally that is open so I will ring tomorrow and book an appointment to bring him in. Honestly puts my mind at ease a bit now that you’ve said he will be okay! Fingers crossed. Thanks again

4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Let us know how he gets on. Hopefully nothing some antibiotics won’t sort.

5. Rhiannon Murray

So it’s the next day, I was feeling around and I think the lump has gone down a bit. He’s purring super loud, playing, eating, sleeping, drinking water.. I’m so confused I’m getting a carrier off a friend today though and will bring Finley in anyways just incase.

6. Rhiannon Murray

EE382E9B-15DA-4A2F-A95C-1FF318026C56.jpeg CB73BD98-6531-43ED-8BBA-FB8D74DDBA6A.jpeg
    I rang the vets this morning to see if there was any appointments available, but because of our lockdown restrictions they are trying to keep their appointments as emergency only. She said to send her an email with pictures of the swelling and because it’s going down that she’ll let me know if I should take him in or if he’ll be okay. I feel he will be but I’d rather be safe than sorry. He’s so hairy you can barely see the lump, but it’s there and my fingers are on either side showing the width:

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As you have said it isn't clear in the pics but to me it is clear enough to consider that to be fairly large .
    If Finley was my cat I would be considering that perhaps not an emergency but definitely something I would want looked at now.
    If your vet cant or wont see him I would be looking for another vet that will .

8. Rhiannon Murray

I have him booked in for tomorrow at 2:45 so I will update on what they say. Really hoping he is okay

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm pleased to read that your vets have agreed to see him, paws crossed he is okay and what ever the problem is it will be an easy fix.
    Please let us know how you get on .

10. Rhiannon Murray

image.jpg
    Finley was in the vets today, and he’s okay!! He had popped the swelling himself luckily we noticed just as we were about to go, but it’s good he popped it because he’s letting the infection out. The vet said he most likely got in a fight and in about a week with antibiotics and medicine the wound will have healed. Now he’s here with my dogs jumper around him and I have to put socks on his back feet hahah. Thank you both so much for your help I really appreciate it <3

buffie likes this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update,I'm really pleased that it has proved not to be anything nasty.
    Has the abscess burst on the outside ? hopefully it has . Make sure that you keep the wound clean and don't allow it to scab over as that will trap any infection in the wound , abscesses need to heal from the inside out .
    I hope Finley is soon healed .

BTW I love the expression on his face , he doesn't look too impressed with his new fashion accessory :D

Rhiannon Murray likes this.
  12. Rhiannon Murray

Yeah it was burst on the outside, pretty sure he did it himself with his nail most likely. I have to leave it uncovered for the next few days and just clean around it, but he’ll be all good in a few days!

And he is not impressed at all with his new jumper :D

Polly G and buffie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice