Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP, there's been a change in my dog's behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Blueberry Moon81, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Blueberry Moon81

Blueberry Moon81 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have 4 year old male West Highland Terrier we've had since being a puppy. He used to get on well with the 3 year old male German shepherd next door. We've recently put a new fence up and the neighbours have had a new baby. The dogs now both run to the fence if both outside, growling and barking aggressively at each other and headbutting the fence, which will give way soon, I'm sure. Can anyone please help me understand what is going on for the dogs and how can we help them be friends again? Thank you.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

How is the new fence different to the old one? How does your dog interact with other dogs? Does he ever see the German Shepard off your properties, and if so, how do they interact?

Could be what’s called barrier frustration.

Blueberry Moon81 likes this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

It could be that, as the GSD has had a change to his family circumstances, that he’s the one who’s kicking it off, and your dogs just responding to this change of attitude.

For the time being I’d just work at distracting your dog from the fence/trying to avoid them both being out at the same time.

Try to distract your dog before he gets over threshold and sees red mist.

Blueberry Moon81 likes this.
  4. Blueberry Moon81

Blueberry Moon81 PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I never thought the dogs might be frustrated. They used to be able to sniff each other through breaks in the fence but not anymore.

Actually it was the GSD who began it. This was at the same time the baby came can also when we refenced.

I'm thinking myself and our neighbour should bring both dogs onto the grass area in front of our house to reconnect. What do you both think...? I'm a bit apprehensive incase my dog gets eaten haha xxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice