UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The breeder who I may be getting a kitten from has texted me to let me know that the kittens are taking turns with the sniffles. The youngest and littlest has recovered from his sniffles.

Should I be concerned?
What should I ask?
How long should normal sniffs last before it becomes more serious?
What should I look for when I visit on Saturday? :scared:

Sorry but I am being mega cautious because of losing my kitten teddy to fip and scared of my beautiful genie being infected.

Please help. I am petrified that I could lose another and my heart was damaged before this would break it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry I can't help a lot, but don't panic initially, the only time I had a kit with a proper sneeze in the litter it was due to an air freshener. Only he and my friends baby were affected and he was fine.

5 to 9 weeks is a difficult time as it is when the kits immunity from the queen is fading but their own is not developed so it can be a time when they catch things.

I would go by your instinct when you visit and see that the kits are well grown and still lively. I really can't advise you on the rest of your questions but I understand your genuine concerns. I'll leave it to others with more experience to help you more. Also I would have thought you could ask your Vet for their opinion. If you are at all concerned do walk away though.

:)

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
sorry to read about the kittens sneezing. i agree with the above that any air freshners, hair spray etc can start a kitten sneezing.
if the kittens have any yellow discharge from the nose or eyes they will need synulox antibiotics to recover.
have the parents been blood tested? if so and the tests are negative then its unlikely to be cat flu.
go and visit if you wish and you are looking for lively playful kittens without any discharge.
if you have any doubts it is best to find another kitten. i have no experience with fip but others may know more about this.
good luck.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm a bit confused by this comment. Can you elaborate a bit. I didn't think you used blood to test for cat flu.
I was also, but just kind of thought they meant tested for the 3 types of primary flu via pcr swap :D

@catcoonz Yellow or green goo out of the eyes and noes does not have to be there for it to be flu. They could be asymptomatic carriers of herpes and still sneeze when stressed then infect other cats fully and make them sick or worse. They could have chlamydia and not get the goo at all but just sneezing and may look like a cold or reaction to something, which would need AB course to fix. Could be calici with sneezing and mouth ulcers (can get goo) but can't be treated only time can heal that. They would give you AB to treat secondary infections but calici has to be beat by the cat.

This could be any of the above Britishshorthairbabies, or just a cold, cats can catch a cold of a human, research in USA has proven that. Or it could be a reaction to something. But be careful is the only advice without PCR tests which work great, apart from herpes, which you can get false neg's with as the cat has to be showing sick and shedding the virus at the time. Which is why they recommend testing 3 times 2 weeks apart for that.Hope this helps a little

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was also, but just kind of thought they meant tested for the 3 types of primary flu via pcr swap :D

@catcoonz Yellow or green goo out of the eyes and noes does not have to be there for it to be flu. They could be asymptomatic carriers of herpes and still sneeze when stressed then infect other cats fully and make them sick or worse. They could have chlamydia and not get the goo at all but just sneezing and may look like a cold or reaction to something, which would need AB course to fix. Could be calici with sneezing and mouth ulcers (can get goo) but can't be treated only time can heal that. They would give you AB to treat secondary infections but calici has to be beat by the cat.

This could be any of the above Britishshorthairbabies, or just a cold, cats can catch a cold of a human, research in USA has proven that. Or it could be a reaction to something. But be careful is the only advice without PCR tests which work great, apart from herpes, which you can get false neg's with as the cat has to be showing sick and shedding the virus at the time. Which is why they recommend testing 3 times 2 weeks apart for that.Hope this helps a little
A vet should also give AB for calici and metacam for the pain of ulcers and joints.I think as long as the breeder knows what they are doing the kitten should be good,never take a sick kitten,make sure they are all well first and vet checked.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A vet should also give AB for calici and metacam for the pain of ulcers and joints.I think as long as the breeder knows what they are doing the kitten should be good,never take a sick kitten,make sure they are all well first and vet checked.
Metacam yes AB not for calici it will not touch it. But as I said AB would be given to treat secondary infections that may happen while they have the calici virus

·
Registered
127 Posts
How is it treated?
Treatment is generally supportive. As calicivirus is a virus, antibiotics won't work, however they may be prescribed for secondary bacterial infections.

Removal of discharge from the nose & eyes will make your cat more comfortable.

If the cat has become anorexic, force feeding may be necessary. Fluids may also be required to treat dehydration.

from the vet pages :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.