Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help smelly wind in my 6 and a half year old cat.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sastag, Jun 6, 2010.

1. sastag

sastag PetForums Newbie

Does anyone think I need to take my cat to a vet?

She is 6.5 now and we adopted her when she was 10 months old. In all that time she has never that I can think of broken wind. If she has it certainly hasn't been anything noticible. That is until earlier this year. She started to do the most revolting trumps you've ever heard/smelled. When she is curled up on the sofa next to you it is just a sudden over powering stench. But if you pick her up or she jumps down from the sofa she will actually squeak as she lets rip like a proper trump!

I decided it was perhaps the food I have always fed her whiska's complete but I had noticed around christmas that if she had the chicken flavour her breath would get pongy so we avoided that one and she was fine.

Then when this wind thing started up I thought maybe it's her diet so we have switched her onto Iams Senior. I know it is 7+ but she is 6.5 and we are only going on what the people we adopted her from tell us. Or their neighbour's nephew anyway. We never met the people just heard the story, from a girl I worked with, of this poor kitty who lived in a house with a new baby she was terrified of, every time it cried she ran off. She had the local yobs trying to tie fireworks to her tail and all sorts, it was so sad, so we said we would take her and the girl I worked with went to her boyfriends uncles house, got the cat from his neighbour and brought her to us. She had been neutered, had her jabs and was 10 months old is what they told us. But that is not to say it was right is it?

Anyway it seemed to be getting better slowly but surely until it stopped for a few weeks however the last few days the smelly wind is back with avengence! I'm wondering now if there could be something wrong with her? She seems fine in herself though! Maybe someone is feeding her? It has all started since we moved house at the end of November. Although why they would I don't know she's hardly a skinny thing... not to say she is fat but she's not a cat you would look at and say aw poor thing she mustn't be getting fed... you know! I feed her and then put her out when we get up in the morning otherwise she would just lie about all day and she really would get fat then. Maybe someone does think she is "homeless". Argh! I don't know please help me... any advice would be greatly appreciated by myself and my stinky bummed Shadow.

2. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

I don't know the answer, but I can guess only two things would be the cause. The first is that it might be stress-related, due to moving home, but I think there would be other signs of that, so unlikely. That leaves the only other explanation as something different in her diet - either being fed by someone else, or chewing on different plants maybe?

You have my every sympathy, though. Assuming that cat farts smell the same as cat poo, then that is an eye-watering problem. Although I have a covered litter box, when my boys take a poo in it, they bat the flap several times afterwards from the inside to 'share' the aroma around. Seems they like the smell as much as I do...

3. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I'm afraid I'm not sure what advice to give. It might be worth keeping an eye on her when she's in the garden to see what her poo is like. I would say if that was particularly runny or didn't look right, then get the vet to check her. If you are unlikely to see her go outside, it might be worth putting a litter tray down for a few days to see if she uses that. It might be she's got a tummy bug that has come back, so the vet could give her an anti-biotic just in case. Obviously if she seems unwell in any other way, get her checked out.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

It is really difficult to say what is causing this - it could be the food (could contain too many fillers or too much fibre), could be the way she is gobbling it down, she could be eating something else somewhere else and therefore be overeating - all of which could be causing flatulence.

But I would suggest one thing. Is there any way that you could keep her in for a few days to see what her poop is like? Whether she is constipated or whether she is runny? If it is ok, then I would see how she is eating - is she gobbling the food down? They frequently inhale air while they do that - can be "fixed" by feeding smaller portions - either over the day (not practical as you are not at home) or over a sitting - so you feed a small portion then 10 mins later the next.

Constipation can lead to wind. I would take her to the vet if she is runny as this would suggest that it is some type of infection that she has picked up somewhere that needs to be addressed.

Hope that helps

5. sastag

sastag PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your advice everyone... I think I will see how she goes for a few days and if it doesn't ease off again I will get a litter tray at the weekend... although that is not a thought I relish with a two and a half year old in the house :scared: wish me luck!!

Philski - lol yes indeed they do smell equally bad... I have to say I'm gutted not only as my puss cat is stinky but because we now have those horrible embarrassing moments when there are guests round that have been a thing of the past since we got rid of the litter tray 3 years ago lol. Our friend came for a weekend visit in March and she jumped on his lap turned round and parped right in his face lol.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sounds to me more and more that it is diet related but you will not know unless you keep her in (to see what is happening with poop etc).

Cat poop doesn't need to stink and cats certainly shouldn't have wind. But you know that. :eek:

If the poop is ok (not runny and she is not constipated) then I would seriously think about changing her food to one that doesn't contain any grains. Perhaps even see whether she is not good with certain meats - such as chicken that you had mentioned.

7. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

If you do get a litter tray (always a good idea anyway in case they are ill or like when we had the floods and couldn't go out - a bit extreme I know), I'd say to try and put it somewhere a bit quieter where your cat won't be disturbed too much (if you can!). My daughter was never interested in the litter tray. Having said that, I did make it clear it was the cats toilet, dirty and the germs could make her ill!

8. Tje

Tje Banned

If you hate the thought of a litter tray, there are ingenious ways to hide them inside of any part of furniture, or inside any closed cupboard. There's a website dedicated to turning flat-packed Ikea furniture into a "cat-litter house". You think you're looking at an Ikea tv cabinet or Ikea dresser, but the cat litter tray is hidden inside.

9. sastag

sastag PetForums Newbie

Absolutely... Who wants to go in public eh!? We had a big cupboard under the stairs in our old house and the litter trays were in there I took the door off and put up a beaded curtain so she could get in and out (after the door got shut accidentally one night and I came downstairs to a poo at the back door- poor kitty) My son is really good at not touching things like sockets and trying to get in the cleaning cupboard and so on but a brand new shiny interesting thing with lots of little bits to throw all round the place is going to be a challenge I'm sure! lol.

Tje - that is amazing! I never would have thought of that in a million years! what a fab idea :thumbup:

hobbs2004 - It was absolutely diet related back in the days of the litter tray... I was 19 a barmaid trying to run a house and have a social life so I pretty much ate beans on toast when I did eat and the cats had cheap canned meat or biscuits. Obviously I grew up realised simply loving a cat and saving them from bad homes or scary dogs (my old cat Kane was almost eaten by his owners rottweiler so I adopted him) wasn't enough. They need proper care and healthy diets etc.

She was ok last night when she came in she did one silent and only ever so slightly smelly one while I was with her. We will see I'll pick up a litter tray at the weekend and go from there.

10. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Do you happen to know the name of that website as i can't find it? Thanks.

#10 HollyM, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  11. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Just found it!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice