Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help - siamese cat question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by katrina10, May 17, 2017.

1. katrina10

katrina10 PetForums Newbie

Hello cat lovers! <3
    I'm writing because I don't really know where else I can look for the answer. So the thing is: my boyfriend has a siamese cat. She's cute little creature, little bit over 1.5 year. Very friendly and I love her with all my heart. Unfortunately every 1,5 - 2 months she is in heat which lasts little bit less than 2 weeks. It is insane. She is very vocal even in her 'normal' stage but when she gets 'in the mood' it's very hard to put up with her. We simply can't watch the movie without her screaming or sleep through the night (we have studio apartment so she sleeps with us) - earplugs doesn't help! She is very tiny for her age and neither of us (meaning my boyfriend and I) is planning to make her a momma. Theoretically the only way is fixing her. I said theoretically because my boyfriend doesn't want to go for it. Before having Ana, he had her dad, siamese called Stefan but unfortunately Stefan died while getting fixed. There was no complications, everything went smoothly and he just didn't wake up :( Veterinarian said she did everything right, there was no mistake, but SIAMESE CATS ARE DIFFICULT TO FIX BECAUSE OF SOME SPECIAL GENE or something. Of course my boyfriend was attached to Stefan and had hard time when he died so now he is very afraid of fixing Ana.
    I had my cat fixed, so have my friends and I want to ask you if whatever this veterinarian said it's true or she was just trying to cover her mistake by medical speech.
    Are Siamese breed 'special' in this case that it's a roulette when putting a cat to sleep for a procedure? That she may not wake up just like her dad didn't?
    These words stuck very much in my boyfriends head but I am going crazy. Every 1.5 month same story.
    I. Really. Can't. Stand. It.

ps. Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

No Siamese I have ever bred or known has died under anaesthetic so it is definitely not a feature of the breed. It may be that the line that includes Ana and Stefan has a problem with anaesthetic but it is just as likely that Stefan was unlucky for some reason.

Poor Ana is at greater risk of mammary tumours if she is not neutered before the age of 2 and every time she calls she is at risk of developing pyometra, a womb infection that can be very serious, so it really is better to have her neutered for her own health.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I can only echo what @QOTN has said. It isn't a Siamese problem in general, they don't have a gene that makes them more vulnerable. I am sorry that your boyfriend has unhappy memories of losing Stefan under while he was being neutered. Ana really needs to be spayed, not only for the serious health consequences as QOTN mentions but because of the stress on her of each call too.
    If you make your vet aware that Ana's father died under anaesthetic they may be able to use something different or monitor more closely during the operation

simplysardonic and QOTN like this.
  4. katrina10

Thank you @QOTN and @lymorelynn! I was trying to get some more info from my boyfriend and he also said that before he went to that vet who was working on Stefan he was doing check up with different vet and this clinic also said that they would advise him not to neutered Stefan because Siamese cats have allergic to anaesthetics. Or at least this is what my boyfriend said. I was trying to find some more information about in the internet but, God help me, I can't!
    Is there some rumour spread in Latvia, where we live, about Siamese cats or there's something the world doesn't know yet about this breed? I heard that some clinics use the cheapest and strongest anaesthetic which sometimes makes cats not to wake up. I know my boyfriend would be so broken if he lost another cat :(

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a spayed Siamese as well, never heard of them being sensitive to anaesthetic.

I can understand your boyfriend being concerned after losing Stefan but it really is better for Ana's health in the long run if she's spayed.

6. katrina10

@simplysardonic most likely we will do it after she's over her heat. Will search for best clinic in Riga and ask them in advance if there are some tests they can run prior the procedure.

Btw. Is this normal that Ana is nagging me instead of my boyfriend? She is all over me, following my every step, getting on my lap, trying to get my attention, reacting only to my voice when I say her name... I've always thought it's the other way around.

lymorelynn likes this.
  7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

My girls are usually all over me but do pay a bit more attention than usual to my husband

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice