Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP, persian kitten unwell?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kellypersian, Sep 9, 2013.

1. kellypersian

kellypersian PetForums Junior

I bought a persian kitten from a reputable breeder brought her home she settled in quickly and loves to play and is sleeping and eating well.
    I've noticed her eyes are a bit gunky, with creamy green discharge from both and her nose is a tiny bit runny, she is sneezing sometimes too but not alot very seldom.
    Shes eating absolutely fine an shows no sign of unwell in herself but has physical symtoms.. we're feeding her on royal canin wet cat food and noticed she has runny stools and a sore bottom and asked the breeder which royal canin food she was on before only to be told they fed her on boiled chicken and beef with a tiny bit of biscuit, what do you think these symptoms sound like? I'm going to switch her on boiled meat when im home tonight but do they sound serious?
    We can't take her to the vet until the next few days please someone give advice thank you

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

If the eye discharge is green, she needs to go to the vet ASAP as that's an eye infection and it'll be incredibly painful for the kitten. When you say she sneezes occasionally, about how many times a day? Kittens do sneeze as they have a habit of poking their noses into all sorts of tiny little spaces that you'd never think to dust, and then come out sneezing. If it's more than once or twice a day though, it may tie in with the eye infection and will need review from a vet. When she sneezes goo, is this also green, or is it clear?

Lastly, she'll have a runny bum as she's had such a rapid change over of food stuffs. The diet doesn't really sound like it was complete either which is a worry. Although I hate advocating dry food, in this case, it might be worth finding out what biscuit she was fed on and putting her back on that to settle her tum. Don't keep her on it long term though, as dry food really isn't good for them. Instead, consider switching to a high quality wet food such as that sold by the Happy Kitty Company, or, even better, a completely raw diet.

Hope this helps.

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree with Carly87, she definitely has an infection and you need to see a vet now rather than later, you can't mess around with kittens as they are more vulnerable than older cats and can go downhill very quickly. The runny poo may be another symptom of an infection or the change in food. Don't think much of your breeder's idea of good food for a kitten. Vets asap.

4. kellypersian

I'm very worried now, I put the question on yahoo and they're saying it's an upper respiratory infection im praying it's not, what would you advise to feed a persian kitten, I've bought royal canin wet and dry food for kittens which is what she's currently eating.
    It's so strange because shes purring alot and eating fine it's just the symptoms above are stressing me out, we're going to take her to the vets tomorrow or wednesday.
    Do you think it could be sometihng less serious than an upper respiratory infection? im so upset

5. Charity

Didn't mean to worry you but, as I said, kittens with any health problems can't really wait days to be seen by a vet and treated. Even if it was my own adult cats, I would be taking them to the vets. I assume she's been vaccinated? Don't read too much online, you can worry yourself silly and interpret things wrongly, I've done it myself. The term upper respiratory infection can be as simple as a cold and if you say she is eating OK and seems well in herself, that's positive. It may be just a case that giving her a course of antibiotics will sort things out.

6. kellypersian

Yes we received her vaccination cards but we've only had her for a few days so it seems the breeder probably knew she was ill ... maybe didn't but she certainly had the runny eyes when we left the breeders house so it seems the contract, vaccination card etc could be not as genuine as we thought, I would take her to the vets but we're both working long days today and it'll be closed by the time I get back which is upsetting.
    Will make sure my partner takes her tomorrow

7. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Some times kittens have these problems when leaving the breeder for a new Home.
    It could have been a bit of stress that's bought it out. Leaving her litter mates, strange surroundings and then also having different food. It's a big change for a little one.
    Has others have said get her to a vet as soon as you can. The vet will give her a good check over.
    Put her back on the food she was on with the breeder and then when she is better you can slowly introduce her on to some better food.
    There is a lot of information on here about food etc.
    Also there is a on line shop that is popular and that is Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus
    Lots of toys and cat things to tempt you with.

Please let us know how you get on at the vets tomorrow x

8. kellypersian

I called a local vet and thankfully they gave me some piece of mind they said its very common in kittens but to bring her in and the most likely outcome will be supportive care for the next week or two

9. Charity

That was a good idea and has put your mind at rest. Hope she'll be fine soon. Some pics would be good when you can.

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Persian kittens don't need any special diet. They need good quality, just like every other cat. Try feeding what I suggested above when her tummy's settled.

Do you have enough posts yet to send me a private message? If so, if you send me the breeder's name/prefix, I can at least tell you if she's a good breeder or not, but as somsone else says, sometimes kittens do go a bit off when they go to their new home.

11. kellypersian

I don't think I can private message yet :-( will it be bad to name the breeder on the forum, i also dont think shes the age they said she was shes very small shes suppose to be 4 months and shes tiny!
    [​IMG]

12. kellypersian

Ok , I feel so stupid and deflated contacted the GCCF myself and turns out there is no registered breeding at the address provided.
    This is the first time buying a kitten myself and I read about being careful so much but obviously wasn't careful enough! I saw the mum and dad, their whole house was dedicated to breeding kittens and puppies and the guy had his own pets homes business where he made homes for pets in the back of his garden.
    They seemed so genuine I received a certificate which is probably fake, insurance, vaccine cards, a contract etc.
    What do people advise to do now, I am thinking to get her booster vaccinations from all diseases and get her pkd tested as it says on the contract shes not but how can I trust that now.
    Please someone give me step advice, i feel like im in limbo and I love her so much already :crying:

13. rose

rose PetForums VIP

do you have any pictures of your kitten? to check her age and whether she looks pedigree?

14. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

What was the prefix used, please? Is it a GCCF certificate that you have? The fact that they make pet homes as well has me thinking of someone specific. Please drop me a message. I might be able to help!

15. kellypersian

No i've found out it's not, they probably just made the computerised certificate themselves I feel so silly but they seemed so legit! this is their facebook, they're still selling kittens and dogs also..... https://www.facebook.com/purrfectpersian.staffordshire?fref=ts they are based in Stoke on Trent:confused: what do you know about these breeders?
    I text him today and asked if the kitten is pkd negative he called back straight away telling me her parents are pkd negative and negative to feline leukemia and advised me that she'll be fine, but I can't stop worrying now.
    What would you suggest now?

16. kellypersian

Ps i dont think i can send inbox private messages yet

17. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

There must an insurer name on the insurance details and veterinary practice details on her vaccination card?

18. kellypersian

Yes it's all at home what can I do with these

19. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Well you can ring the vets and checked that they did do the jabs, same for the insurer you can ring them and ask if it's legit. (is it petplan?)

20. rose

rose PetForums VIP

ring the vets number and check everything is correct

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice