UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly please excuse the long post, but I want to get some info across...

My dogs name is Dennis, he's an 8 year old Yorkie cross. My Husband and I bought Dennis from an ad in the paper in 2004. I was 19 at the time and my partner was 21. In hindsight we were too young to have the responsibility of a dog, and therefore proper research wasn't done. Dennis wasn't socialized, this is my fault as I was so petrified that he would be hurt by other dogs. In the same respect he wasn't properly socialized with people. This is our biggest regret.

I did arrange for a behaviorist to visit when he was around 3, she gave us some printed off tip sheets and that was that. Dennis has never been to any training classes.

We therefore have the following issues, Dennis barks constantly on a walk at any moving objects people, cars, dogs, etc. Dennis barks and is aggressive to any visitor or stranger that comes to our door, so much so that i try not to invite friends into the house. Dennis growls and shows his teeth at my Husband and I if for example we are drying him after a bath or he is tired and we approach him. Dennis barks in our garden and at our neighbors who overlook our garden. And don't talk to me about firework season!

Dennis can be affectionate and doesn't chew and rarely urinates in the house, so he isn't 100% bad!

I do love him and we haven't given up on him in 8 years, it's just got to the breaking point...we are expecting a baby in April and I worry about the baby, dennis' anxiety levels, visitors, etc!

I just don't think there is anyway of training him, and with the focus on the baby will there be the time?? I don't know whether we should rehome him or just live with it??

For an easy life should we give up on him...I really don't know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
He is displaying some pretty serious and obviously deep seated neurotic behaviour caused by your failure to allow him to see the world at an early age.

Can I ask why you have not asked for a dog trainer before?

This type of behaviour is not something that can be cured online. You need somebody who knows what they are doing. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people out there who will happily take your money but do not have a clue.
I suggest finding somebody who comes highly recommended. Believe it or not, only a small percentage of trainers do.
As to giving him away or accept it - do neither. It is curable so please look into it but be careful who you chose.
The fact you are here and asking for help tells me he will be ok soon, I'm sure :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.