UK Pet Forums Forum banner
658 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lurcherlad 
#1 ·
Hi, new member here in desperate need of advice. I have 2 miniature yorkshire terriers, a boy (5) and a girl (4) had both since 8 weeks old. As of lately my female dog has been randomly attacking the male for absolutely no reason (she’s even attacked him whilst he was asleep in the early hours of the morning) she’s been showing some really strange behaviour that i’ve never seen or experienced before. She is the first female dog i have had and has always had a very anxious personality (no loud noises, no music etc), previously had a bordercollie (16) who passed away because he had dementia and eventually became very vicious. She is exhibiting ALOT of the same traits that he once did, she seems to be pacing like shes lost, growling alot, the random attacks, blank staring into space, she’s got a thing about grabbing your arm and excessively licking you. Almost like she feels like she physically can’t be close enough to you. I’m not sure if this is a territory thing? But unsure why it would’ve randomly just started, nothing has changed around us for her behaviour to be like this and its really upsetting because my male dog is now scared to be near her or sleep in the same room as her. Not sure if i should set up her crate and have her sleep in there? And before anybody says she is not on heat so this isn’t the issue either - If this helps for more context before Christmas she was diagnosed with an eye condition where she is gradually losing her sight in her right eye however i don’t think this is whats causing the strange behaviour.
Will be booking her into the vets to try find some answers but was wondering if anybody had experienced similar or had any answers. Anything will help, thankyou!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the loss of sight in one of her eyes could well be making her very anxious indeed.

Do remember that, whilst you know what is happening, she doesn't. All she will know is that she sees little from the affected eye and that will make her feel very vulnerable.

I do think she needs to be seen and assessed by your Vet.

When she is aggressive towards your dog, does he suffer any injuries?

#3 ·
Thankyou for your reply. I do understand that she may be extra anxious which we do cater to her needs, we smother her in love and the attention that she always seems to crave. Booking her into the doctors on Monday though so will give an update after she's been seen.. And to answer your question not yet, she snarls and snaps at him in the most aggressive manor but luckily someone has always been around to intervene. The male is slightly smaller than her and i'm worried if they have to be left alone she may attack him and it result in an injury but so far this hasn't happened.

#5 ·
Funnily enough i have noticed that she is sniffing/licking his crotch and then seconds after thats when she attacks. That obviously could be nothing but i will definitely get him booked into the vets to have a checkup and make sure he's okay. Its abit impossible to keep them apart but i'am going to try for now, sleeping arrangements have changed so male can get some rest and i'm sitting up like an owl because i'm worried she will attack him whilst i sleep..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.