Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP NEED ADVICE new here.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by itsjustjo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. itsjustjo

itsjustjo PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone. I have a female cat who is about 14 years old. I have had her for about 5 years and was told by her previous owner that she was spayed when he bought her from a cats home. However, there has been some strange happenings of late. There suddenly seems to be quite a few cats (4 different ones one of which is definitely an un neutered male) visiting our house and sitting on the window sill outside calling through the window for her. She has been very defensive about other cats coming into the garden previously but she actually wants to go out and sit with these cats! She cries to go out and they sit quite happily together in the garden. I have had cat's before but my first one was a neutered male who only lived for 5 years before sadly dying of cancer. And my second one, a spayed female unfortunately was run over aged 18 months so I haven't much experience of this kind of behaviour. If anyone has any advice please reply.

2. itsjustjo

P.S. . . . I also have a Golden Retriever dog . . . usually cats avoid coming into our garden because of him so this makes it even more unusual for these cats to be so brave as to sit on the window sill when they can clearly see the dog sat in the lounge! They seem very determined to get contact with our cat!

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Has she been yelling or sticking her bum in the air? Lilly did both those things when she was in season, if you look on you tube there are a couple of vids showing that this sounds/looks like.

4. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

oh me i do hope their just her friends!! my male cries to get out when next doors kitten is out only coz they like to play!xx

5. itsjustjo

I have seen my friends kitten doing that when she had her first season before being spayed but Dusky hasn't done anything like that. Although she does stick her bottom up in the air when being stroked, but she's always done that. I'm quite bemused by her at the moment. :blink:

6. itsjustjo

I hope so too! But if that's the case it's a sudden change in her behaviour . . . and a sudden change in theirs too for that matter. The only cats who have ever dared to try to come to our house have been cats who were coming to tell me to feed them. My neighbours cats who I had been looking after when she went away. Never seen anything like this before and for it to suddenly start to happen in the last few weeks is very odd.

7. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Sorry, cant really help only to say that my old cat was a bit of a tart, we always used to have male cats around, to the point where she used to copy them when going to the toilet you often used to see her standing by a bush, tail up in the air and shaking her back leg!

8. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

I take it no certificate given of her being spayed? What does your vet say about it? Might be worth going along just to give yourself peace of mind.

9. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

yeah it may be worth a trip to the vet just to see if she is spayed, better to be safe than sorry with her age :)

10. itsjustjo

I think you're right . . I need to ask the vet :blink: I really wouldn't want her having kittens at her age ..

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am going to admit my ignorance and ask if a 14 year old cat would still come into season? Surely you would have noticed this before??

12. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I can't see it being that, not when you've had her for five years!

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice