Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

please help. my puppy never stops weeing.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jo*maisy, May 20, 2010.

1. jo*maisy

jo*maisy PetForums Newbie

i m after some advice please
    i have a 14 week old puppy. we have had her for quite a few weeks now and to begin with toilet training was going quite well.

problem is now maisy gives us no sign she wants a wee. she just squats anywhere and everywhere. we have tried distracting her in the process putting her outside after. we have praised everytime she goes outside which she also does very often. i know she can hold it as she goes in her crate all night no problem and toilet in morning.
    im contanstly clenaing carpets (have even invested in a good carpet cleaner)

she will even go outside and then come in and do another.
    please help any advice would be great. it hard to crate train during the day as my partner works nights and needs sleep so cant have her moaning in it. but she is put outside regular to go.
    she will also not wee while on her lead thios needs to be taken off before she will go.
    she is a **** zhu cross minature Schnauzers

sorry for long thread
    jo

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Take her to the vet to rule out UTI's, to start with.

3. PleasantPupZ

PleasantPupZ PetForums Newbie

Toilet training is a matter of patience and routine, I dont know if you started with paper indoors but if you have that may have caused a set back, I agree with if your worried get the pup checked out by vet but if she is not wetting her crate it is unlikely a problem but still good to get checked out.

as for setting a routine this is how i have taught all my pups and suceeded every time.

take puppy out to area you wish them to toilet after every meal and as soon as they wake up and after every time they drink from their water bowls

If puppy is reluctant to start then play a game that encourages her to run around like chasing a ball or some thing, I suggesst this as activity activates digestion and the vital organs to work, think how and when you need to go to the toilet I know i generelly need one shortly after i had a cup of tea or generally as soon as i step out the door and chasing my dog around the field.

reward and praise all correct toileting behaviour, if she starts infront of you the pick her up as she squats and take her out side as picking a pup up i normally say NO but then praise her when they finish out side. if you find a wet patch but not seen her do it its a matter of egnoring it, it is pointles in shouting at pup, rubbing their nose in it as they wont understand why they are being punished.

Also when cleaning up puddles it is needed to try and remove the scent, even if you cannot smell it your pup will and will be encouraged to do it in a similar place, the best way to clean up puddles is by using biological washing powder or a very good pet odour carpet cleaner. DONOT use bleach as this increases the urea smell. Also spraying area after its been cleaned up with citrinella pet spray will reduce the pup going to the same area aas they do not like that smell or taste.

Once she is starting to progress and not do in the house as much then add the lead situation to it, I would sujest at home you but a light lead on her coller and let it run free with it trailing let her go in the garde with it and enourage during her new toileting routine to toilet with the lead on. then add a length of washing line on it and take the end of it to the lead and hold the loose end with out putting reasure on it so pup still has freedom of roaming as if not walking on her lead, as she gets used to that you can work up the line till your actually holding the lead and can walk around in garden with the lead and then try the same on her walks.

miti999 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice