Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help! My friend's dog bit someone.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sidsmum, May 28, 2010.

1. Sidsmum

Sidsmum PetForums Junior

My friend has asked me for advice and I don't really know what to say to her. She has an 18 month old, male, uncastrated, cross breed, mainly lab I think. She has had him from a pup and also has an older lab x. The younger dog has always been a bit of a handful, I don't see them often but she doesn't seem to spend time training etc. His recall is hit and miss and I get the impression he thinks it's fine to do exactly what he likes and, mostly, is allowed to do just that. They live on a smallholding and the dogs pretty much run free. A few days ago, someone came to visit and this dog went for him and apparently bit his leg, drawing blood :(. The visitor is a friend but hasn't met the dog before. He doesn't want the dog put down and hasn't reported him.

Sorry this is getting too long. My friend has asked me what she should do! I said she needed to get some professional help and advice but I'm not sure how she would find someone reputable. I suggested she ask her vet maybe? Would anyone be able to help? is there a chance this behaviour can be stopped? As you can imagine she's really upset and terrified she will have to have him PTS.

Any advice/suggestions/ thoughts are very welcome.

Thank you very much.

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,can you be a bit more specific on what area you are in,so maybe someone can reccommend a trainer/behaviourist?
    If it were me,i would get the dog neutered,and make sure he is not free roaming.When he is out i would put a muzzle on him.Try and get hold of a behaviourist to help with training and problems.
    Your friend is lucky it was someone she knows,maybe this will make her think that she needs to get some help.I hope it gets sorted soon.

3. Sidsmum

Sidsmum PetForums Junior

Hi Bearpaw, thank you and sorry, she is in Herefordshire. The dog has not been allowed to run free since the incident and she really realises she is very lucky that she still has him. I will suggest a muzzle, that's a really good idea. I hope someone can recommend a behaviourist, that would really help.

Has anyone had this happen with their own dog and 'cured' them? Or is it a lost cause?

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Iv just briefly looked at 'dog behaviourists in herefordshire' in the search bar,there is alot on there.
    Hopefully someone in that area who has used one will come along and reccommend one for you :)

5. Sidsmum

Sidsmum PetForums Junior

Thank you again, very much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice