Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help! My cat just won't stop meowing for attention.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Sal_lives_with_four_cats, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Sal_lives_with_four_cats

Sal_lives_with_four_cats PetForums Newbie

Please help, guys! Recently one of my four cats went into heat, and she went about it as all our other cats. She meowed and such. But every time she meowed, my mother called her and gave her attention. That didn't seem all that bad, but now she won't stop.
    Now (she is not in heat), she won't stop meowing for attention. In fact, if she can't see anyone in the room she will start meowing. We just can't ignore her. She is too loud! We have tried ignoring her, we've tried a spray bottle, we've even put her in a time-out. Nothing works, and we will not hit our cats! What can we do about it? I don't want my father to throw her outside.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have her neutered for starters (and the others if they aren’t).

I would hope nobody would throw any cat outside let alone an unneutered female!

Otherwise, find a good rescue to take them.

Stop spraying her with water too - that’s cruel.

buffie, chillminx and lorilu like this.
  3. Sal_lives_with_four_cats

Thank you for replying. We aren't able to get her neutered just yet, since we are having a bit of money problems.
    Personally, I would never throw a cat outside, especially an unneutered molly. My father, however, is quite bothered by her noise. I can't do much of anything to stop him from throwing her outside, since he has done this in the past. We've already stopped spraying her, since it hasn't worked. The cats only get sprayed a little when they're doing something bad (its the only thing that really works).

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Why aren't your cats spayed? Constant heat cycles are very stressful for them, whether they are the one in heat or one of the others, and you are risking their health. Every heat cycle raises the risk of pyometra (a deadly uterine infection) uterine cancer and mammary cancer. Not to mention it's a very miserable way for all of them to live.

She is probably meowing because something is wrong and she is trying to tell you that. She is obviously terribly stressed and punishing her is only making her stress worse. She could be very ill besides. Take her to the vet, have her examined and schedule her spay. And spay the others also.

buffie, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Cats aren't "bad" and spraying them doesn't "work". It only teaches them to not do certain (natural to them) behaviors when you are present, and to fear you. Perhaps taking all your pets to a shelter or rescue would be the best thing for them, since your family cannot afford to take care of them properly..

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I reiterate - get them taken in by a rescue where they can be rehomed somewhere suitable.

And don’t get any more pets.

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

What exactly does this involve?

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

They can't afford it, which is why they have four cats which one assumes are (all?) entire which the father may chuck out if they start yowling.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes I saw that after I posted my first reply. I always hope these kind of threads are just wind ups but sadly, this is usually real life for these poor miserable animals.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Sal_lives_with_four_cats

For the time out we put her in a cage for only a couple minutes. It seemed to work for a little while, and then we stopped because it won't work.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Of course it won't work. You aren't solving her problem by shutting her in a cage, so why would it work? Something is wrong with her. Either take her to the vet or take her to a rescue where she can get proper care. And the others, too.

12. Sal_lives_with_four_cats

To those of you replying:
    1. We are unable to afford spaying/neutering our cats! It is too expensive, but that does not mean we aren't caring for them well. We have been looking for affordable places to spay/neuter our cats for a while.
    2. You're saying to rehome our pets like its easy! I could not depart with a family member so easily, could you?

If you are going to reply with either of those, this won't help me. Thank you.

13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You can never be sure, that's the problem.
    Are we to suppose that they really have four unspayed cats all carrying on and cat-a-wauling? One of mine has ovarian remnant syndrome, and having her calling every few months does my head in. I put her in the spare bedroom with a hall and another door between us. It also upsets the other cats.

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

What would happen in that case, if one of them became seriously ill and needed treatment urgently? What if one of them gets pregnant and you have ten of them, or the mother needs a C-section?

buffie and lorilu like this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What a ridiculous excuse. You aren't treating your cats like "family members" . You aren't providing them with the proper care, like you would a family member. No, I wouldn't part with my cats, but I provide proper health care for them. I spay and neuter them and don't spray water at them or shut them in cages when they are crying out for help. I take them to the vet.

I wouldn't have them if I couldn't afford them. Since you can't afford to provide these cats with proper care, the right thing to do is to turn them over to a rescue organization so they can go on to live happy healthy lives in a home where they will get the proper care. It isn't about what YOU want. It is about what's best for them.

Calvine and buffie like this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You have been given the correct advice. Something is wrong with your cat and the first thing to do is take her to the vet. That is the first step in solving her problem. The second step is to spay her and the other cats before even more health, and most likely, behavior problems become present. That is how you treat family members.

17. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

If you live in the UK Cats Protection has a scheme whereby they will pay part or all of the cost of spaying un-neutered males and females depending on the owner's circumstances.

Have a look here:
    https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering/financial-assistance

lorilu likes this.
  18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

According to the OP's profile page she owns "four indoor cats, two outdoor cats, a dog and three birds!" :eek::Arghh

19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That sounds remarkably similar to someone we had around here the other day. With similar issues about throwing cats outside. In that case supposedly there were three female cats, all spayed though. But still some coincidence. Or not?

Calvine and chillminx like this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

1. If you cannot afford proper care (including neutering) of an animal you should not have them.

Cats Protection often offer free neutering.

2. You said your father discarded a cat before and has threatened to do the same to this one.

Calvine likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice