Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help me

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Idontknow9279, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Idontknow9279

Idontknow9279 PetForums Newbie

First if all, I made this account in desperation and if you know history you should know what that birth date is... (Pripyat reactor 4 meltdown date)

I am much younger than this.

My family has a dog who is damaging furniture and we're worried he'll injure someone; he's a French bulldog. Gets very jealous, has an obsessive personality. He's damaged at least five grand in lino, walls and things like sofas. He loves me and sometimes gets aggressive with my youngest siblings. He's pulled my mother over many times trying to hold him back and I don't know what to do. My family sat me down and told me- essentially - that you can tell us you're ready to give him up, or alternatively you can come up with a way; any way at all, to try and save him and they will be willing to try it...

That's where you come in.

Please in the comments/replies/answers box help me I'm coming up with some by my own now but it's nearing midnight and im tired...
    come up with like an idea for something, we just want to stop his aggressive behaviours, I will pay. As I promised. Out of my own pocket the damages. So long as we keep him I'm happy

Thanks in advance.
    Alex j.

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Your dog sounds bored, how much walks does he get and how much training time is set aside?

3. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

I agree, he does sound like he is bored. Also who feeds him, walks him, interacts with him?

The rest of the family need to bond with this dog, not just you to make him part of the family.

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

How does a frenchie pull someone over :Jawdrop

Sounds understimulated and undertrained, as above.
    What sort of stuff does the family do with him? What does a typical day look like for him? How is his 'aggression' manifesting?

ouesi likes this.
  5. Idontknow9279

About an hours walk each and every day

6. Idontknow9279

Fair enough

7. Idontknow9279

He pulled her over cuz she's probably comparable in size to a frenchie, very small person, the family does play with him, his typical day consists of, bugging me to play for ten minutes, playing for a while, breakfast for him, some sleeping, a walk, starring at a cat for an hour, some more walking and then finishing off the day by chasing shadows

His aggression has got to the point where hes been trying to nip some of our neighbours and one of my close friends.

There is also another dog and he tends to bite for her neck, she's much bigger that him so she just drops him, but sometimes I can't tell if they're fighting. Or he's trying to establish dominance

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

What are his aggressive behaviors and what have you tried to stop/prevent the behaviors you don't want?

9. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

.......chasing shadows isn't a particularly practical thing to do. Dogs can become fixated with light and shadows if they have no other outlet and can descend into obsessive behaviours. Which is not a good thing.
    No training sessions going on? Or general training throughout the day?
    You cannot just let dogs run riot and make do with a walk and some dinner - they need to be taught rules and boundaries so they can know what behaviour is appropriate and what isnt.

He's not trying to establish dominance. Sounds like he's being rude trying to play. If your other dog doesnt like it, stop him from doing it.

rottiepointerhouse, Calvine and ouesi like this.
  10. Idontknow9279

Okay, thanks

11. Idontknow9279

Yes

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

'
    @BlueJay: let me know if you find out?

13. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It sounds to me like your dog is really really bored. He needs a lot more training to instill some manners and tire him more. Walking is good for a dog but training makes them use their brain. What kind of play do you do with him? If you only do rough-and-tumble play, that's teaching him only one way to play. There's lots of ways of turning training into a game.

14. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

What about activity toys? making him work for his food etc? Scattering food in the garden or hiding it under pots for him to find. Frozen kongs are good too.

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would suggest you ask your vet to refer you to a good behaviourist - one who only uses positive, reward based methods. Avoid anyone who talks about dominance or pack leader theories.

In my opinion, he needs to be assessed by someone knowledgeable enough to work out what his issues are, what is causing them and how to remedy them and then help you to deal with them (and get the whole family on board with that training).

Offering advice on a forum about a dog that is being aggressive, without actually seeing it or it's behaviours/triggers is just a shot in the dark and could make thing worse.

16. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Frenchie could pull me over in the muddy field. I have been close with my small terrier on occasion, its not size that has anything to do with it, angle of the pull, expectation of the person, shoes worn, condition of the ground. To be honest my small dog is stronger at pulling than my large dog ever was. We do have a tendency to assume everyone is young and physically fit.

Having said that this dog sounds much like mine when I got her, under trained, under stimulated. I would also look at the food you are feeding?

Start by setting a daily routine start with a 30 minute training session then go out on your walk.
    Teach the dog a watch me as a good way of getting them to focus on you.
    What are you walking the dog on? I would suggest a harness with a front D ring and a double ended lead. I use a snuggle pets one but you might start with the halti one its a bit harsher but might give you a start. Look at the 300 click method of walking. Kikopup on youtube will be helpful

Try feeding the dog using activity toys to tire him out.

Most of all though you need a referral to a behaviourist

17. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

First time I ever had a frenchie on the end of a lead I was very surprised at the power and very nearly embarrassed. Admittedly it was an untrained rescue that pulled but boy can they pull. They can have a strength that belies their size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice