Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help me :(

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by squish, Oct 17, 2013.

1. squish

squish PetForums Newbie

Please help me. I am sitting here writing this in tears as I'm stressed out about my new puppy. She is almost 9 weeks and we've had her for almost a week and it has been alright so far - she nips and chews as expected and has a lot of energy but this morning has been so terrible and I'm at my wits' end.

My hands are covered in scars and my feet will be following shortly if this doesn't stop. She will bite me all the time and I have tried to yelp, praise her when she lets go and give her another toy but when she is excited she just won't cooperate. She bit my foot hard today and I yelped, she bit harder so I yelped louder and soon enough I was basically barking in her face trying to get her to stop. In the end I just had to wrench her mouth open with my hands to get my foot out. She then pounced all over me trying to find somewhere else on me to bite.

I have tried using a time out area but it doesn't seem to work. She might be calmer for about a minute but then she just goes back to biting me. I feel like it stresses her out as well because whenever she is confined she gets very vocal and will continue barking and whining for ages after I take her out. I've spend the whole morning basically screaming at her (and she screaming right back) so that she'll let go of me and I feel so guilty and like a total failure because I can't seem to teach her what to do. She must hate me because all she does is bite me and run around chewing everything she's not supposed to.

I think she's frustrated at having less freedom than she's used to. She barks when she's on her lead and can't get to where she wants. She will bark and whine when I put her in her crate even though I am sitting right next to her. I've been trying to wear her out by running around the garden with her (and I'm worrying that this is encouraging her to nip at my feet even more) but I'm so sleep deprived from being up 3 times a night to take her out and get her to sleep again that I have no energy.

I spend the last 20 minutes sitting cross-legged in the middle of my living room and crying. I knew it would be hard but I thought I could handle it.. and I have no idea if what I am doing is right or wrong. I want to teach her to grow up to be a good dog but I feel like I'm failing and it's really upsetting me :(

Please, does anyone have any words of encouragement or advice on how to make her behave?

2. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

What breed is she?

Honestly I feel for you

Okay, I have a rottweiler puppy, she is now 13 weeks old. She still bites me, her nips isn't AS bad she is still rather naughty. Okay not what you want to hear but I am just being truthful that it will get better but it takes time as the puppy needs to grow and mature. My puppy is def a little bit better.

I would cry, still cry now on occassions. Io thought it was funny thing morning to pull some washing off the line and run around with it.

Have you tried some mental games? Io is brilliant to train when you have treats. She is like a complete different dog.

Why not try to do some training with your puppy? My puppy can now sit, wait, touch, wave and give paw.

Have treats on you all the time, the yelping when bitten doesn't work with my puppy, if anything it encourages her to do it more!

When she bites, I say a firm NO and then give her a to to chew. She isn't great on verbal praise either so I give her a treat when she starts to chew the toy.

Its all about sticking to it

If Io gets too hyper and naughty (which is usually every day) she goes for a time out in her crate for ten minutes. I then get her out and if she carries on I do the same thing again, I do this until she sees the picture.

Have you got a kong?? I fill mine with some of her dog food and she can spend ages trying to lick it all out.

Take her in the garden, practice some recall with your puppy, play some games like hide and seek or fetch?

Mumtomaddog likes this.
  3. Hanwombat

Try not to scream at her, I know its hard not too because I have also done it! If the puppy knows you're getting frustrated they will use this to their advantage and will try to make you feel worse by not listening. My puppy is very intelligent and is constantly testing me.

If you put her in her crate give her something she can play with or chew, so she can entertain herself whilst you have a break. If you have a secure garden why not let her roam around for a bit OR buy a puppy pen and put it outside so when you want a timeout from her, put her in the pen with some water and toys and leave her too it.

If she whines or barks in her crate remember to ignore her and reward when she stops.

4. Wayne01

Wayne01 PetForums Member

Hi.

Sorry you are stressed.

This place has lots of people who will help.

please can you let people know your location and what breed of dog you have.

My advice would be to get a Kong and fill with treats as this will work her chew (teething) and her mind (She will try to work out how to get treats from kong).

you are not a failure she has been with you a week and is a puppy - this is normal.

5. Golden6

Golden6 PetForums Member

I can sympathise, I really can! The puppy stage is really horrible. I cried so many times and there were numerous times she was going back to the breeders!! i am only just starting to enjoy my puppy and she been here for seven weeks now. It does get better believe me but it takes patience and time.

Yelping can sometimes make puppies more excited. Maybe you can try just saying 'ow' and turning your back on her and ignoring her for a mo. she'll soon get the idea that if she nips all interaction and play stops.

Try getting her used to the lead first. Just clip it on and let her wander around with it first so that she can get used to having it on then work up to holding etc. It may be an idea to start with a lightweight one first.

I'm not a very experienced dog owner so I'm not sure I can be much help with the other things and my pup had to get used to the crate very quickly. I had to leave her in it while I got my daughter ready for school etc so I had no choice but to leave even if she was whining or crying, so I can't be much help there.

Someone with more experience will be along soon to help and there ad plenty of peopl who will tell you how horrible their dogs were as pup and it will helps so much just to hear that others are going/been through it!

6. Mumtomaddog

Mumtomaddog PetForums VIP

Hanwombat gave some excellent advice. Try training your Puppy, she's never too young to start. Sooner the better in fact.
    A Treat bag that you can clip to your jeans is a great device.. i got myself one for Max and it really is amazing the difference when i have the treats attached to me. You will always have them close at hand for when she does something that you want... no need to go running for treats and then the moment has passed.

I agree that Yelping at them when they bite doesnt always help... it can often make them all the more excitable... definitely does with Max but he's 3 yrs old and not a pup, although we've only had him for 5 weeks, we got him as a rescue and he's hard work i can tell you.. BUT he also shows amazing promise to be a great dog when he eventually settles properly.

Your girl really is just a baby and you've only had her such a short time. I know its frustrating.. you feel like you cant do anything right and that she must hate you... she really doesnt hate you.. she wants you to engage with her. Hang in there, try some of the suggestions... it will get better. :)

Hanwombat likes this.
  7. squish

squish PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the help everyone :)

I actually withheld from mentioning her breed because it's not all that common and I'm paranoid that my breeders will read this and feel upset that they sold her to me instead of someone with more knowledge on how to raise puppies :p Oh well *holds breath* she's a Samoyed (sorry breeders!)

It's hard to stay upset when you can watch her sleep, I'll tell you that. I just let her have a cry in her crate for a while so I could sort myself out and it looks like she's tuckered herself out and she's sleeping now, though it looks as though she had an accident first so I'm feeling major guilt for not taking her out :( She's now rolled all around in her puddle so it looks like she'll be getting her first bath today too :p

Hanwombat, as for training, we are doing quite well. She mastered sit pretty much on the first day, sort of semi-there with lay down. We're also doing 'leave it' with a treat in my hand and praising her when she stop mouthing, which I'm hoping will help with everything else. She's got quite good at it but needs to have a good chew at my hand first before she realises what she has to do!

I have a Kong but she doesn't seem to be too interested in it.. she doesn't seem to be that big on food, actually. She takes treats from my hand really well and it seems like a good incentive for her but when it's all together she doesn't really care. I have actually had half a bowl of her food sitting next to me whilst I was training her and rewarding her with the same food one piece at a time :confused: I asked my mum to go out and get some natural yoghurt on her way home today so I can make it a little more exciting.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I actually have ordered a pen for her because I was getting too panicky at leaving her in the room alone because of her tendency to chew all the wrong things! She has a stag antler that should be coming in the post today because I've heard they're great to chew.

Haha, I have a treat bag but she keeps running around me and trying to grab the cord! I'll make sure I wear it at all times, I admit I've been taking it off because it's not that comfortable :p

Gosh, just thanks so much everybody, I feel so much calmer now. It's so good to know others are going through the same thing. I do love her dearly and I suppose that's why I get so upset when things aren't going to plan :eek:

8. Hanwombat

You seem to be doing all the right things :) Yes a lot of people are going through the same thing right now, including me! I have no shame in saying that sometimes I could murder mine :rolleyes: Not serious, but they sure test your patience to the absolute maximum!!

Be sure not to leave the bowl lying around all day if she doesn't want to eat it, if she doesn't eat it all then take the bowl away. Perhaps try something that smells yummy in her kong? Like peanut butter or fish? My puppy eats anything so I don't have this problem :p

Let us know how you get on :) We'd all love to see photos.

9. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

ah puppies.remember the nipped fingers and toes so well.

Think samoyeds are cute......but they still nip.

We have a 5month old saluki x and the nipping is almost stopped now.
    She is destructive too so when I am not with her and she is indoors she goes in her crate with something to play with.

Hang on in there, it gets better .

10. squish

squish PetForums Newbie

Oh, of course! How rude of me :p Here she is my pride and joy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what that adorable little cotton ball is capable of..

[​IMG]

By the way, Io is such a cutie :) I considered the name Io for mine but we ended up settling on Clementine!

11. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

ouch.........

12. Hanwombat

She is BEAUTIFUL!!!! What a pretty puppy!
    Aw thank you :) Cannot believe how big your puppy is compared to my teeny rottweiler :eek: I may break the record of worlds smallest rottie :rolleyes: :p

Clementine is a lovely name :)
    I like the name Io, obviously :), but people seem to think she is called Lo!

13. squish

squish PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the sympathy lilythepink.. I really feel that big one whenever I bend my hand!

I think she's a little big for her age but you also have to remember she's mostly fluff :p I'm always surprised at how little she is whenever I see her collar buried way down there in the fur!

14. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I feel for you too! I have a 5 and a half month Siberian Husky and they are very similar in temperament.

Time outs work wonders for my little ball of joy. He's back on them again because of his humping and after he's had one he stops. We never had anywhere to give him a time out before and we literally just tied his leader to the dining room table and left him till he was completely calm for 5 minutes then let him back off.

I cried and cried and cried almost every day with Blade I had prepared myself well I had thought but I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was , he does every trick in the book but can still be an absolute terror and is destroying my house at the moment so we are back to crate training

I found the Shiba Shake website REALLY helpful : shibashake.com/‎

Also Sled Dog Hotel on this forum has been amazing with helping us , and suggested last night we do the time outs again for the humping as Blade sees it as a "Game" he tries to hump , I manhandle him pushing him down and that is how huskys love to play! ROUGH!

15. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

Have you tried using a flirt pole (basically a fishing rod with a toy attached to the end) to get him to chase, rather than making him chase you? That way your feet remain intact, and it's much less effort than running... :)

Blowing bubbles for a dog to chase is also pretty good at wearing them out.

I do both of these when I just don't have the energy to walk the pup. Hiding stuff in cardboard boxes and letting him shred the box is also a good energy burner. So is teaching the dog the "Find it" game, and hiding things around the house/garden for them to find.

Some people suggest playing fetch up and down the stairs to tire a dog out... but this really depends on how wide/steep your staircase is and how much balance you dog has.

16. Cheryl89

Hey we've all been there, never thought I'd be so relieved as I was when my puppies teeth started falling out all over the house and her big adult strong teeth come through and the biting stage stopped immediately!!!!

Beautiful pup by the way, sadly I still bear the scars from my dog as a pup :lol: x

17. Mumtomaddog

Mumtomaddog PetForums VIP

OMG!!... She is adorable!.. she's just a beautiful ball of fluff!! :biggrin:

18. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Ooohhh! I absolutely love samoyeds! Even though I would never have one, I think they are great dogs. They are pretty stubborn though so you need to make sure you show her that you're the one setting the rules there:001_tongue:
    I'm unable to give any decent advice but came to just reassure you. You are on the right track and it's a phase that she will grow out of (of course with a lot of help from you!). Before I got my pup I was getting ready for all the nipping and feet munching everyone spoke about... But when I brought my pup home I found out that this will never be a problem for me. He just doesn't nip :biggrin: I don't know if it's Axel's personality or if it's because I picked him up when he was 15 weeks so had more time with his siblings and parents but he never nipped me. He does love to chew and I can definitely back up all the kong recommendations! It's a great way to redirect these little piranhas away from your stuff (including your hands and feet!). Show her that there are better, tastier, more rewarding things to chew than your body parts:wink:

19. squish

squish PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for the help everyone! In the nicest way possible, it makes me feel so much better to know that other people cry over their pups too :D It was weird too, when I first started wailing she calmed down and fell asleep next to me.. I think maybe my tears are the secret to calming her down haha

It's so strange how things work out but after a disastrous morning, she's been an absolute angel this afternoon. We've both had a nice long nap, her stag antler came in the post and she LOVES it, and I filled her Kong up with salmon mousse and she made herself busy with that in her crate :)

It sounds like I could really use a flirt pole! But I can't seem to find any on amazon.. perhaps I'll have to fashion my own kind :)

So strange that such a tiny thing can cause so much aggro.. but we'll persevere and get her through this stage. I have my fingers crossed that she'll turn out to be a lovely adult when she grows up!

Thanks again guys, you're all lovely!! :D

20. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I nearly left home a couple of weeks into having Blade, I didn't think I could cope he was biting my hands, arms , legs , feet I couldn't do anything without him bounding on me. I don't know much about Samoyed's but I know my bundle of furry joy doesn't like being ""manhandled"" when he's in one of those moods so I just withdraw all my limbs and walk out , leave him in another room. I even locked him in my porch at one point :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice