Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help me - Dodge is going bald!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Samy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Samy

Samy PetForums Member

Hi Everyone, Sorry its been a while since I was on here asking for advise so apologies for that, hope your all OK. :)

We have been working on Dodge, he is a lot better at home he never bites us anymore, and doesn't have as many mood swings, its taken a lot of hard work and walks are a little better these days.

However.... he is slowly loosing his hair, it started in Feb, we took him to the vets and they injected him and he got better, then the OH bought him some cheap dog treat that covered him in hives tail to nose, so back to the vets and got some pills for that one. He was OK for a few more weeks and then he started to really itch himself, biting the hair away, so back to the vets who didn't want to inject him again, so this time he has some cream, but while i was applying the cream that area was getting better but the surrounding areas were starting to flare up, so back the vets and another set of pills, and flea treatment for the house and different flea drops for him to be done every 3 weeks.

I swear every time I look at him there is a new thinning patch, and I just don't no what to do, please help me, some ideas? :yikes:

2. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Have the vets ever done any test on him to determine what the problem is? From your comment about the hives coming on after some treats, it sounds like it could be a food allergy. What are you feeding him at the moment?

3. Samy

Samy PetForums Member

No tests yet, she thinks it a flea allergy, we have just been down our local pet store and explained he said he reckons it hayfever so we have to get some oily fish into his diet to help with the skin.

4. Samy

Samy PetForums Member

Sorry forgot what he is eating,

barking heads biscuits for breakfast
    and then a home cooked dinner of chicken, veg & potatoes, simple food.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Although it does sound like he has an intolerance or allergies to food or that sounds a good part of it, which you can have allergen blood tests done for.
    I notice that you say he has mood swings and bites you, although you don't say specifically what the problems are. There is actually a condition which can both effect behaviour and cause anxiety/fearfulness and aggression and cause hair loss and skin and coat problems. May be irrelevant, but thought it might be worth a mention. The condition is hypo thyroid, low production of thyroid hormones.

Details of the various ways its can manifest in different dogs is on link below.
    Clinical Signs of Canine Hypothyroidism

More details on how it can affect behaviour.

Are your dogs seizures caused by Canine Epilepsy or Autoimmune Thyroiditis?

Behavioral changes associated with thyroid dysfunction in dogs.

Ignore the mention of seizures it can cause them too in some dogs, the article is about behaviour in general too.

His could well be purely behavioural problems and allergies, but if you don't seem to resolve the problem it may be worth something to consider. There is an auto immune version that can be seen in very young dogs that has hereditary/genetic implications, diagnosis is a specific thyroid panel blood test including the Thyroid auto antibodies. Treatment is just daily thyroid hormone medication replacement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice