Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help male dogs keep fighting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sharm22, May 16, 2017.

1. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

I have two male dogs a month apart in age. The eldest is one year and a half his an intact German shepherd. The youngest one is one year and five months his an intact kelpie.
    These two dogs have been living together for about 3 months. We got the German shepherd first about 7 months ago.
    We haven't really had an issue until recently. They have had 4 fights in the past week all while I am alone with them. They start really fast with no warning and have been getting worse, we have to intervene and they still don't calm down for ages. The last fight went for quite a while as they wouldn't stop and I was on my own when it first started. They are seriously injuring each other now and the kelpie is at the vet tonight getting stitches and desexed. It seems he starts the fights and the shepherd usually submits but he isn't anymore and neither will the kelpie.
    What can I do to bring them back to friends again. I cannot tell who is alpha between them as they both have very strong personalities and show signs of alpha in a different way.

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Do you know what has triggered the fights? Is the Kelpie guarding his toys, a chew or a special place such as a bed or the sofa?

I think you are going to need the help of a behaviourist so if you post whereabouts you are someone might be able to make a recommendation. In the meantime you must keep them separate at all times that you are not in the same room to supervise/observe and even then would suggest keeping a line on them so that you can remove one quickly from the room if necessary.

3. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

I do not have the room to do that. As I have already got to separate my cat. She hates the dogs and will attack.
    I don't have much money so I was going to try and sort it myself.

the first few bad fights started when I was taking the German shepherd food out to him. I was waiting at the door while the kelpie was being called into the laundry for his dinner and they started going off. The German shepherd calmed faster these times and the kelpie kept going.
    The last really bad one was yesterday and they out in the yard. I went out there to get the clothes of the line, as I was doing that the kelpie was looking around for his ball and I started patting the shepherd, then the kelpie ran over and started a fight right under my feet, he even bit me at the beginning of the fight. After that it was like a fight to the death. They just kept exploding getting worse both dogs going for it. I was scared and didn't intervene. My partner and brother in law ran out and stopped the fight but they just kept going. So we put the kelpie in the laundry for the night as he was injured and he is now the vets get stitches and desexed.
    Also this morning when I let the kelpie out for a pee the shepherd ran over trying to fight him instead of the kelpie starting it.

4. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

Oh I read your post wrong. I can keep them separate when know one is around that is easy. Just not permanently as the laundry isn't going to cut it for ever

5. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

if you haven't the room, or money to seek professional help, realisically you may have to consider finding one of your dogs a new home.

6. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

Yes I understand that but I just can bear to do it they were such good friends...
    The kelpie is brother in laws dog and his only 16, he doesn't want to get rid of him. And hates when I bring it up.

And my German shepherd I would never get rid of. I've spent lots of time and effort also money on this dog. He is amazing. Also he has some pretty serious food allergies I not sure someone else will be willing to take on. It's a very strict expensive diet. And he is an inbred (his parents from the same litter) he is always going to have medical conditions that others may not be aware or treat properly.
    I would love to find a solution to this problem without rehoming. As they used to live in peace.
    I am a dog groomer and have been for a while. I do understand dogs in some ways. I think I could cope with this myself with some advice as I'm new to this issue.

7. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

This really. You need professional help and you can't guarantee constant safe separation I would rehome, because you risk one of the dogs killing the other or you being seriously injured.

8. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

Thanks for your advice guys... it's such a heart braking situation. They hate being separated.
    Do you think that after the kelpie is desexed they will calm down?
    Or it's not even going make a difference? They are of sexual maturity now so I there's a good chance it won't. And I'm not sure but I'm guessing they will still fight for alpha as they haven't sorted it out yet.

9. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

It's not about fighting for Alpha.

Because you don't know why they were fighting, it might not change it, or it could make it worse.

leashedForLife likes this.
  10. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

I was thinking of using muzzles constantly while we where around so if something does explode they can sort it out and not get injured. What are thoughts. And separate them when we aren't around and in bed
    Just trying to explore my options before having to get rid of one.

11. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

Yes I see I don't not know what is causing it. I thought because I give more attention to the shepherd and treating him like an alpha. Greeting him first, feeding him first usually, exits the yard or house first ect. And the kelpie could actually be the alpha and that's why he keep fighting for his position

12. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

you may find they never ''sort'' it out, they rarely do and are always going to have to be supervised, there's not much advice anyone over the internet can give you, as we can see exactly what is happening, trying to sort this yourself could have disasterous consequences fpr both dogs without the help of a professional.

leashedForLife likes this.
  13. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

I no its a massive risk. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and see how expensive a professional can be. If it cannot be accomplished then I will have to rehome one of them.
    But would that pass the problem on to someone else?

14. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

how?

15. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

this is out of my control. And I'm no expert. Just difficult situation

#15 Sharm22, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

If whoever got him had another dog or encounters another dog... or tries to do that to a human

17. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

dog to dog aggresion is not the same as human aggresion. you should also look to rehome one of them as an ''only'' dog, so no further problems resurface.

Wiz201 and leashedForLife like this.
  18. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

Yes I will have to explain the situation. Maybe the rspca is an option as they match dogs up quite well.

19. Sharm22

Sharm22 PetForums Junior

And the rspca here is a no kill shelter. The kelpie really needs to be on a farm working. He has alot of energy.

20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

If you are unable/unwilling to keep them separated, you're going to have to rehome one of them. They can't live together like this.

It can take up to 72 hours for the stress hormones to dissipate sufficiently after a stressful event like a fight. Until those hormones subside the dog is still on high alert and the chances of a fight are much increased.

It sounds like resource guarding issues and ineffective management that is fixable under the guidance of a good behaviorist. However you have to be willing and able to put in the work. It's no judgement if you're not able to do the work, you have to be realistic.

Your dogs got along before because they were puppies. They're reaching mental maturity and it's not at all uncommon for male dogs to need to sort stuff out, but they also need plenty of guidance. Left to their own devices they would put a lot more distance between themselves. When we artificially force them in to small spaces and then aren't vigilant about resources, this is exactly what happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice