Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help Kitten contract problem!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Pinkpuff77, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Pinkpuff77

Pinkpuff77 PetForums Newbie

Hello all, last year we got a beautiful loving kitten with breeding rights and we signed a contract written up by her breeder. When we went to collect the kitten we must’ve left the contract behind so since then I have been asking for a new copy repeatedly.The breeder put it off and off and after a few months she has blocked me and deleted all of her online sites so I have no way of contacting her! The problem is I slowly developed a severe skin allergy to the kitten and we need to rehome her and we want to neuter her as well for her safety. Can I go ahead with this do you think I can get in legal trouble? I don’t have any other options!! :(

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Pinkpuff77 and welcome :)

If you are unable to contact the breeder by telephone, email or through her website, then you should write to her. You do know her address as you collected the kitten from her.

In the letter you should state briefly you are unable to keep the kitten because you have developed a severe skin allergy to her. Ask the breeder if she would like to take the kitten back for rehoming. State that if she does not want her back you intend to have the kitten spayed and rehomed. Say that you will go ahead with your plan if you do not hear from the breeder within 3 weeks (state a specific date)

Send the letter by Post Office recorded delivery, the type that needs a signature by the recipient.

If you get no response by the specified date then you can go ahead and have the kitten neutered and re-home her. (You may be able to re-home her through the welfare & rehoming facility of your kitten's breed.)

Legally the kitten is yours and you are entitled to neuter her and re-home her if you wish to. You are not obliged to write to the breeder, but I am suggesting you do write out of courtesy. Many breeders prefer to take back their kittens if there is a problem in the new home, and re-home them again themselves where possible.

I think it is right to give the breeder a final opportunity to take the kitten back if she wishes to. It is likely, as she has not replied to any of your electronic messages, that she does not want the kitten back.

I am sorry to hear about your allergy and that you need to part with your beautiful kitten.

3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Are you sure the skin allergy is from the kitten? Can you take antihistamines for the time being?
    I hope you get some response from the breeder but would still go ahead and get the kitten neutered she must have come into heat while you’ve had her??? doesn’t sound like the breeder is bothered about the care of the kitten at all.
    What breed is she?

chillminx and lorilu like this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Pinkpuff77: You have had a couple of very sensible replies from @chillminx and @Soozi which hopefully will help you. I agree, it sounds as tho' the breeder is not interested, but you should at least cover yourself by letting her know your intentions, which a carefully worded letter will achieve. I wish you luck.
    ETA: Why do you suppose she is unwilling to send the contract on to you?

chillminx likes this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

As a breeder myself, a contract is more likely to state that you have permission to breed rather than you must breed her.
    Did you at least get the papers from a governing body for her?

As the breeder has blocked you everywhere just neuter and rehome the cat, have you met other contacts through showing that could perhaps assist you in finding a new home?

Rufus15 and OrientalSlave like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice