Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP! Im SO worried :-(

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by LaurelAmyBanks, Jul 5, 2009.

1. LaurelAmyBanks

LaurelAmyBanks PetForums Newbie

I just got home from work about half an hour ago and went to see my Chinese dwarf hamsters, I bought them about 2 months ago from pets at home, they were in the same cage at the store so i thought i would buy them together so they wernt split up, Ive just gone in to check the hamsters to find one of them with a huge lump at the join of her back left leg and all her foot is swollen as is her tail, upon further inspection ive notice a few of her toes on her front right foot are missing, can anyone help me ive been trying to phone my vet for ages and theyre just not answering :-( can i put anything on the sores to make them better?

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Split them up. It is likely that they have had a fight. Put the poorly one in a different cage. It is hit and miss getting hamsters to bond and stay together.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would seperate them immedietely, if you don't have a spare cage you can use a plastic storage box with holes in for ventilation,it sounds like they have been fighting. I would get some very dilute salt/water solution and a cotton bud and try to make sure the injuries are clean, but she really needs to see a vet when you can get hold of one.

4. LaurelAmyBanks

I already have split them up, do you know of anything i can put on her sores?
    my friend said an antiseptic cream might help but im reluctant incase she decideds to lick it off and it causing more harm than good

5. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I had a similar case to this where mine got his foot stuck in a bar of the cage. BUt it could be due to fighting so I would seperate as a precaution.

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

You can put sudacrem on the sores if needs be, then give the hamster something tasy to eat to try and take her mind off of licking it off straight away so it has time to do some good. (i have used this on one of my sons mice before at the advice of my vet)
    I would definately split them up as it sounds like they could be fighting, most hamsters are solitary animals.

Hope she is ok!

7. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

As TDM said, salt water will help. Then get the vets asap. I hope everything is ok :)

8. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Try warm salty water and a cotton bud, that way its only salt if she licks it! I would say to never keep hamsters together, whatever the breed, they are naturally solitary animals and really shouldn't be kept together despite what pet shops and the net says. It happened to me and I ended up losing one!

9. LaurelAmyBanks

thank you so much guys!, ive put salt water on and a bit of sudacrem, also given her some apple because she absolutly loves it!! she seems to be leaving it alone... for now!!

10. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

ditto .......

11. LaurelAmyBanks

just put salt water over the sores to help kill any germs, will be going out first thing tommorow for a new haven for her to live in and to take her off to the vets!!

12. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

Just keep an eye on her, she proberly feels abit depressed and lonely.

Comfort her, give her some bread soaked in milk, that'll help her.

And yh what the others have said SSS (sea salt water) with a Q-tip etc

she'll be fine, don't forget to lovee the other one aswell :)

Xxx

PICTURES PLEASE!!

13. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I hope she feels better and pics yep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice