UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puppy has been very poorly with stomach ulcers resently and weve kept her on a strict diet of Hills prescription ID wet food. Shes done brilliant for about a week now, and shes back to her normal self. Shes also on the medication Zantac to easy the ulcers.

Today we were getting her the food she needed for the week and mum came home with it about an hour ago. She then decided to start making the family a salad for tea with the usual bits and bobs of quiche and veg etc..

Anyway, Cassie had run outside and was playing in the garden with mums bf and she got up onto a high part of the garden where dogs arent allowed. Concerned for cassie i said to my mum that i thought it best if she went outside and got cassie down (as theres a drop from one bit of the garden to the ground bit) So mum went outside. Meanwhile im just going through some washing..

Then i heard a bang :crying:

Puppy had jumped up and pulled one of the quiches down onto the floor from the kitchen surface and when i got to her she had eaten a topping from 2 slices :eek:

Im so upset as she had done so well on her diet and was making a huge improvement by being strict with her food. Then shes gone and done this.
I know my mum shouldnt have left the food unattended but at that time we were concerned with cassie as she might break a leg!

Puppy was told off but now im worried eating that food might make her hurrendously poorly. We dont no exactly what was in the quiche as it was one from a farmshop that they dont really put ingrediants on :(

We know for sure that shes eaten egg, cheese and tomatoe.. but we dont know if there was anything else in it.

What should i do? See how she goes? Pups very upset and mums very angry and im very upset. :( please help? x

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Could your vet give you advice on how to make her vomit?

There are various do-it-yourself remedies, but as she has had so many problems, professional advice would be the best.

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
Surely if you can get her to vomit it will prevent her from getting ill, as she wont get the chance to digest and process the foods?

You could prevent her becoming seriously ill if you seek medical advice ASAP.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Could you ring the vet and see what he says ? At least this may settle your mind a little? I know how you feel .. Mavis got into my dishwasher early on this week.. This has given her a slight setback in her recovery

juliex

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surely if you can get her to vomit it will prevent her from getting ill, as she wont get the chance to digest and process the foods?

You could prevent her becoming seriously ill if you seek medical advice ASAP.
I forced mum to ring the vet. They said she should be fine. If shes sick we have to not give her any food for a while and she will probs have runny poos for a day or two.

Im genuinely gutted :( she was doing so well and this will be a massive slip up if shes poorly again :( x

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Making her vomit with ulcers is not reccomened.. it will upset her tummy even more by making her retch acids up, and with ulcers that will be painful. All i can recommend you do is let it settle on her tum, keep an eye on her and when shes had a poo give her some more zantac to soothe her tummy x

·
Registered
20,313 Posts
Hopefully it wont have a bad effect. what had caused the ulcers in the first place, was it food related. It is unlikely anything in the quiche will irritate it, I really wouldnt have thought that one meal would make a lot of difference. Try not to worry and just be ultra careful in future when there is food around.

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Poor Copper and poor you hun, try not to worry too much, she will sense youre upset and stress sets her off sometimes doesnt it, hopefully she will be lucky and get away with no more than a runny tum, dont blame yourself its just one of those things, hope shes ok and hugs for you.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Making her vomit with ulcers is not reccomened.. it will upset her tummy even more by making her retch acids up, and with ulcers that will be painful. All i can recommend you do is let it settle on her tum, keep an eye on her and when shes had a poo give her some more zantac to soothe her tummy x
My thoughts exactly. When she was sick she retch and was in pain and blood even came up. Thats why shes on treatment atm. We've been advised to do exactly what youve said so we are going to keep her on her wet food (we were planning to introduce the dry food tomoz but we think its best to stick with the wet food now) The wet food also helps stop runny poos and being sick so shes on the best food for it either way :eek:

Hopefully it wont have a bad effect. what had caused the ulcers in the first place, was it food related. It is unlikely anything in the quiche will irritate it, I really wouldnt have thought that one meal would make a lot of difference. Try not to worry and just be ultra careful in future when there is food around.
Pup got ulcers from something food related. We think it was an allegic reaction and shes been having up and down moments since january. One meal makes ALL the difference with pup unfortunatly weve found shes EXTREMELY sensitive to unknown things. Luckly she was on the scramble egg diet for a while so the egg in the quiche shouldnt hurt her and shes had cheese a couple times before this happened and that didnt effect her, so i was just mainly worried about the tomatoe :eek6:

Poor Copper and poor you hun, try not to worry too much, she will sense youre upset and stress sets her off sometimes doesnt it, hopefully she will be lucky and get away with no more than a runny tum, dont blame yourself its just one of those things, hope shes ok and hugs for you.
I hope shell be ok too. Poor things been so poorly and we were finally on the right track and after 4 days of perfect toilet rhythm and eating patterns it was time to start introducing dry food and unfortunatly now we cant. We were going to give her tiny bits of prescription diet food and see how she went each day. If all was ok we were going to build it up over 10 days until she was fully on to it. But unfortunatly we cant do that now as if we did and she had a runny poo tomoz we duno if it was the dry food or the quiche that did it.

Im hoping for her not to be poorly at all. So we are sticking to the wet food now for an extra couple of days to make sure everything stays the way it is. If not then well stay on the wet food until she recovers and if its ok well start the dry food in about 3 days time... :thumbup: poor pup :rolleyes: x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.