Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help im at my wits end :(

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mariecrossley, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mariecrossley

mariecrossley PetForums Newbie

hi all, im new here and not sure if im on the right page. Im totally at my wits end with feeding times.. I have a little yorkie named Alfie hes 18 month old and feeding times is nothing but stress,, its now getting me down I just dont know what else to do..Ive tried no end of different food for him both wet and dry, ive added chicken, gravy but still meal times is a nightmare. Ive pretended to eat it myself worked for a while, ive taken it up after 20 mins. Hes hungry but why wont he just eat?? he scratches the cupboard doors, whines forever till hes eaten (EVENTUALLY) I really need help please I could Cry now.. thankyou for reading please if you can help :confused:

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Have you tried raw at all?

Whenever Holl's went off her food, we'd leave it for 30 mins, then up. Down again for teatime.

Have you tried sitting in with him, or hand feeding for a few mouthfuls, then pulling yur hand closer and closer to the bowl, till he eats it himself... you get me?

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Have you had him checked by a vet? He could have toothache or something else which is making it difficult for him to eat. Is he a scrounger? Would he eat titbits or something off your plate, or is he not interested in that either? Please remember that if you get stressed, so does the dog. If you are making a big thing out of him eating his dinner, he will get worried and an anxious dog does not want to relax enough to eat.

I used to have a dog who had no interest whatsoever in his food. It used to worry the life out of me and I tried all sorts of food, but the only thing he would eat is whatever we were having. And that's what he got. I would cook extra for the dog. Not the best nutrition for a dog, but hey, it was better than nothing. Egg and chips, pooch?

First, get the vet to check him for anything that might be causing him to refuse to eat. Next, stop worrying. If I were you I would just put his food down and walk away. He will be a bit puzzled I should think, not being what he is used to, but try it for a few days and see what happens. A change of atmosphere might be just what he needs.

4. If any of mine are off their food, I give them kibble but make a game of it. Get them to sit for it, hide it in your hand, etc., they seem to enjoy it so much more if it's fun......

I had this with my first Chihuahua but she soon learned, as I added more Chihuahuas to the pack, that she'd better tuck in or some other dog would:D

Another idea is to get him to have a little play session, just fetch or something for a bit of exercise (without overdoing it) shortly before you are due to feed. They seem to work up a bit of an appetite, if they've been active.

Good luck:001_smile:

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Maybe a food dispensing toy too to make meal times fun (if you feed kibble!!). I have a Kong Wobbler which is great....however I have the opposite problem of a dog who eats as though he is never sure where his next meal might be coming from :rolleyes:

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As others have said, and if you havent already, first would be to get him vet checked, small breeds can have problems with their teeth and jaws, so might be an idea to check there is nothing wrong with these or any problems with his pallet and his throat, especially as it seems he is hungry, so not just a problem that he has no appetite as such. That way at least you would then know there is no discomfort associated with eating.

Does he get much exercise? If he doesnt get a lot, sometimes increasing exercise can make them more inclined to eat, Ive noticed with mine, one especially, days she doesnt have her full quota for one reason or another, she leaves some of her food, almost self regulating her intake, so although may be a complete shot in the dark in his case, it might be worth trying, especially after having him vet checked and nothing shows up.

Does he have a fairly deep bowl? If so maybe putting his food on a flat tea plate might help. Some dogs can get all sorts of odd phobias and quirks, so if you havent already thats something that might be worth a try. Also if you are getting really stressed out as is likely, they can pick up on tension and stress, so this might even be playing a part now, instead of meal times being pleasureable and something too look forward to he might see it as a time of stress and tension. I would also cut out all treats, chews and "extras" for a few days if he has any (and you havent already) and just try set meals maybe twice a day. Have you tried any of the Meals designed for small breeds
    like cesar and the like, if you havent that might be worth a go. Sometimes it also helps to slightly warm the food, as this brings out the smells enticing them more, and some dogs prefer warm food. A few seconds in the microwave might help with a wet food.

Hopefully if there is any ideas here that you havent tried before, some might help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice