Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help identify dog breed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by David Visconti, Mar 7, 2017.

1. David Visconti

David Visconti PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone! Could please help me identity the dog breed in the attached picture? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It's a longhaired Dachshund.......

3. David Visconti

David Visconti PetForums Newbie

That's him! Thank you for such a prompt reply.

Calvine likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Oh Bless Him his so cute, he looks like his had an argument with a tin of paint :)

That's what I was thinking

Calvine likes this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

From what I can see the picture looks like a Dapple Long haired dachshund. If you google Dapple Long haired dachshunds then you should get photos up to compare.

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Sled dog hotel

From memory I was pretty certain that the dapple colouring in Daxies can sometimes cause health issues, so I have checked for you, and apparently the dapple gene like the merle gene in other breed can cause health problems if you have something called a Double Dapple produced from two dappled parents Single Dapple daxies are OK.
    If you look at the link below it will explain it all. You can also get dilute colours called blue and Isabella that carries health problems too, it explains about these aswell.

https://sites.google.com/site/ukdachshundhealthreport/dachshund-health-resources/colour-and-health

Calvine likes this.
  7. leashedForLife

a Dachshund cross, or possibly [unlikely] an unregistered purebred.

he is, as noted above, long-coated - AND he's a blue merle with tan points - Dachs fanciers prefer 'dapple', but it's the same doggone pattern, with exactly the same serious issues when mated merle to merle [or dapple to dapple, or "splotch to splotch", or whatever Ur favorite politically-correct term]. :skep:
    I'm pretty sure U know this, OP. Why the query? - it's not as if Doxies are 'rare', nor are their crosses, nor, sadly, are merles, double-dilute or m:m damaged progeny, etc.
    Why ask what U already know?...

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Red, not blue.

Tacey, Calvine, ouesi and 1 other person like this.
  9. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

@leashedForLife, I'm just curious, why do you specify that the dog is unregistered?

BlueJay likes this.
  10. Sled dog hotel

Not totally sure but the UK kennel club since 2010 wont register any Dapple dachshunds that are the progeny of two dapple parents due to the health issues it causes.

11. leashedForLife

QUOTE, applecrumlin:

... why do you specify that the [OP's] dog is unregistered?

/QUOTE
    'cuz assuming the OP can read [unless s/he used DragonSpeak to type the text of their post, from verbal dictation], they wouldn't need to ask us yokels to tell 'em What breed is my dog?... S/he'd already know, having read their dog's registration papers, presumably - or taken the breeder's word for it, if they bought the dog direct as a pup.
    :)
    hence my query - Why is s/he asking us, "what's my dog's breed?", since it seems pretty obv what breed, or at least what one parent is, if he's crossbred.

12. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

There is no mention anywhere of the dog belonging to OP. Perhaps it was seen out and about and the owner wasnt asked or the photo was seen on the internet. Not everybody in the world is as clued up on dog breeds as people here.
    Now stop being so damn rude.

13. leashedForLife

QUOTE, BlueJay:

[He's a ] red [merle], not blue.

/QUOTE

o, contraire! - He's a blue merle [a.k.a. 'dapple'] with TAN POINTS, which is the dilute version of B&T [black body, mahogany markings on face & limbs] with merle patterning overlaid. Blue & tan dogs are just dilute colors - black becomes blue, deep red-brown becomes lighter tan. In Dobes, blue & tan = Isabella; Rotts who are blue & tan cannot be shown [i don't know if they're registerable]. I've never seen a blue & tan MinPin, but i know they are recognized in Chis.
    Tricolors in collie breeds of all sorts are black blanketed, with rich tan markings on face & legs, plus white bellies & Irish markings [white on blazed face, collar, bib, feathers, feet, & tip of tail].
    Below is a RED merle Aussie.

[​IMG]
    Below is a blue merle Aussie with pale fawn splotches scattered randomly,
    vs the distinct tan markings on face & legs seen on the Doxie [purebred or cross or 'grade'] in the OP's post.

[​IMG]
    ...and finally, below is a blue merle Aussie with classic tan points - distinct markings in SPECIFIC expected places, on his eyebrows, cheeks, & legs, with the Irish markings superimposing white FEET, tail tip, muzzle, blaze between eyes, collar, bib, & belly.

[​IMG]

ETA:
    I'm sorry, i don't know why the RED merle dog's photo fell out during the posting process - this is the original photo, 1 of 3, all *different* dogs.
    Notice that the blue merles [1 with pale fawn blotches, 1 with tan points] are NOT the same: one's a pup with a docked tail or possibly born bobtailed, the adult dog HAS A FULL TAIL. :)

#13 leashedForLife, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  14. leashedForLife

QUOTE, labradrk

It's a longhaired Dachshund...

/QUOTE
    =============================
    BlueJay, i'm not sure why U think i'm being "SO DAMN RUDE" - i asked a Q, i didn't accuse the OP of a crime.
    LabDork's reply is perfectly grammatical, but s/he assumes nothing about the dog's gender & refers to the unknown dog as 'it' - which is correct, it just sounds weird, as even desexed dogs have gender; they're just not fertile.
    The OP's immediate reply, below, is where i got the distinct impression that the dog in the photo is "their" dog - as the OP refers to the dog emphatically as "him", which U definitely can't be so absolutely certain of, from a viewpoint above the dog's spine.

============================
    QUOTE, David Visconti:

That's him! ...

/QUOTE
    & finally, @BlueJay , if my comments are so upsetting, please do put me on Ignore. :)

15. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

The dog in your pics has a black nose, the dachshund has a liver nose... its a red tan dapple

BlueJay and Tacey like this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@BlueJay: Agree...I would also consider this was very rude if I received it in reply to a post. OP has been very polite and actually said ''thank you'' a couple of times. No need to respond like this. I've seen a lot of new members put down and scared off.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  17. leashedForLife

QUOTE, anachronism:

The dog in your pics has a black nose, the dachshund has a liver nose... [he] is a red tan dapple.

/QUOTE
    umm... There are 2 different blue merles in those pics, not "one dog". They not only have completely different markings, they also are pup & adult, & the adult has an enormous plume tail - intact - while the pup is either docked to the butt, or has a congenital bobtail.
    as for the color of the dog in the OP's photo, his *body* appears blue-blotched to me - as see here:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.43.17 AM.png
    OP's coat, on the torso in close-up:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.54.20 AM.png
    Coat color A:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.54.50 AM.png
    Coat color B:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 2.55.06 AM.png
    which patches look to U, most like the OP's photo? - I'd say B. o_O Maybe my eyes are going...
    ETA:
    here's a blue roan Cocker with tan brows, cheeks, etc -

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, here's a whole page devoted to the joys of Doxie colors, coats, & sizes. Enjoy! :)
    http://www.ripleyhill.com/doxcolors.htm

#17 leashedForLife, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  18. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

Definately still looks brown to me so closer to A. Looks a darker brown but its not black. Plus a "blue" merle would have a black nose, this dog has a brown one

3dogs2cats and BlueJay like this.
  19. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Its a red merle. Looks nothing like blue. Really now.
    What do aussie tails have to with anything?

20. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Well I'd call him chocolate dapple (chocolate and tan).... he looks Daxi but I'd only be guessing the breed to be honest .....but anything chocolate is a popular breeding colour in Daxies. :D

J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice