Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PLEASE HELP, how pregnant is she????

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by pheobesowner, Jun 10, 2010.

1. pheobesowner

pheobesowner PetForums Junior

Hiya everyone, im new and this is my first post. I really need your help. My gorgeous cat is called pheobe. Well.........

......we got her from a kitten (born 25th july - is it sad that i asked for her birthday lol). I never let her out because we were moving and she wasnt snipped. Well we moved house at the start of march and some time after we moved she escaped. she went missing for 8 days and as it was her first time out i thought id lost her forever :( but she did come back in the end :) and now shes pregnant.

Thing is i have no idea when shes due, shes BIG, shes started stripping/licking her nipples, shes always licking her privates, shes sleeping or eating all the time, i can see her tummy moving and it almost looks like shes got hiccups inside. Ill put a few pics up and can you please try and give me a rough estimate of what you think, and we'll see whos right when the time comes :thumbup:

Attached Files:

2. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

Whoa she's huge, it could either be that she's got lots in there or she's very close. A vet should be able to have a good feel and make an estimate although they aren't always right. Some people say that the first kicks are a good indication of the due date, usually a couple of weeks after you feel wriggling but I don't think this applied to my kittens, they came when they wanted, 2 weeks after the vet's estimate and about 3 weeks after they kicked. I found it difficult to notice when my Mummy was going to be ready, her behaviour didn't change at all until her waters broke, only then did she decide where she was going to have them. One thing I noticed was that she just got bigger and bigger until about 4/5 days before the birth then she just seemed to stay the same size, its a very subtle change but it was the only indication I got.
    Also if you can remember what sort of date she finally came home the birth should be around 9 weeks after that.

#2 jeblee, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. pheobesowner

I know shes massive isnt she, lol. Thing is i used to work in a vets when i was younger for 4 years so i rang him up to ask for his advice and he said as long as i can tell shes fine then its probably not worth bringing her in ust to find out due date because it will stress her. And i should just be patient and look for the signs, nesting, meowing ect ect. But im just so impatient, was hoping some of you guys who are experienced breeders could give me an estimate lol. im so impatient!!!!!! and jamie said we can keep one too!!! arghhh so excited!!!

4. sue100

sue100 PetForums Junior

wow she is huge lol! i bet she has at least 4 in there.

i had tha same thing happen to me but willow only spent the night out enjoying her self so i knew the date she was due but she supprised us and had them 6 days early. she was not as big as your girl though.

keep her in doors and put a cpl of boxes around the house. i dont think she has long to go.
    how long have you seen the kittens move?

5. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

I was really impatient aswell, it just seemed to go on and on and I was desperate for kittens!
    I'm thinking at least 5, she looks bigger than my girl and she had 5 so could be that or more.
    ...and beware kittens are way too cute, we said we would keep one and ended up keeping two, they're really hard to resist.

6. pheobesowner

Awww poor pheobe everyone saying shes huge hahahaha. Well ive already sorted her boxes n stuff out, she has a house that is a brought one that she usually sleeps in a box made into a nest and a space upstairs in our room (she sleeps on ledge on our room, strange but she has to be near us soooo needy!!!) but today she hasnt left me alone, climbing up me shoving her little head into my face wanting cuddles all the time, hope her waters dont break on my lap some time!!!! I recon she mustnt have much more than a week due must she??? she'll POP!! Awww how to choose which one to keep??? does it mater what sexs get along best??? ie keep another girl or does it not matter because there her babys so she'll like either boy or girl????

xxx

7. pheobesowner

5 kittens!! its going to be so hard to choose!! i really want to know how many, im going to guess 4. :) ill tell you a secret shhhhhhh Well i chose pheobe because i always wanted a cat so i said jamie can choose the next one, but if theres a one i like too i might have to try and convince him to keep two :p awww is this my heart ruling my head, is 3 too many??? we own our own 3 bed semi detached house with garden so i would say plenty of room but not sure lol!!!!!! i cant wait to get the pics up, ive got vids of her pulling hair out and her 'inside hiccups' lol dont know how to put them on tho
    xxx

8. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately just because their her "children", they will necessarily get along.
    Some cats are fine and others will fight, just like human mums and their children, once everyone is grown up, some are lifelong "buddies" and others can hardly stand the sight of one another.

9. pheobesowner

Aww but shes so soft and cuddly she must like them :( then again she might get jelous i suppose. Eshhh i can wait!!!! shes sleeping now bless her, on the kitchen floor, im guessing its because its cold, i can see her tummy move tho, its weird, how can she sleep with wriggling inside!!!

10. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

Problem is there's no way of really telling if they get along, my mummy was a bit snappy with all of them before they went to new homes but once most of them had gone she relaxed a bit. From my own experience mummy got on a little better with the girl but I think this was only because the boy we kept was a bit needy, if you don't have any favourite it would be a good idea to see how she interacts with each one. But wait to see what comes out first.

My boyfriend really wanted to keep a girl (and there was only one) but I fell in love with my big Budda as soon as he was born and just had to keep him so with a bit of persuasion we did, but the costs of one cat are fine but 3 definitly makes a difference to the budget. Space isn't much of a problem if they will be outdoor cats (we had 5 cats on a narrowboat at one point). But there will be costs to consider like neutering, vaccinations, litter and food...they eat lots of food, I buy more food for them than myself! I think once these little kittens start to get bigger and eat and poop you'll start to realise just what its like. With 5 kittens I had 2 litter trays all needing a change twice a day, loads of kitten food and vaccinations, even though I miss them it was a relief to see them leave and go to good homes.

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Has her belly dropped like that in the last day or two? If so I would say she is very close. Can you remember the exact date in march she went missing? Hang on ... she can't have gone missing in March! She would be waaaay over due if it was ... :confused:

If you are feeling movement, I would say within 5-7 days of the first time you saw movement. The hiccup thing you mentioned ... my girl did this and within 24 hours we had 4 beautiful kittens.

12. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

Hi and welcome she does look huge I must say:lol: but her belly looks like its dropped which apparently it does just before birth so don't think you have long! Would love to see yr vid Im not sure how u upload it either maybe someone will let u know?? My cat has 2 weeks to go and I've not seen her belly move yet would love to see what I need to look out for. Good luck with yr upcoming birth :thumbup:

13. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

cant have been march... must have been april

I'm going to guess sometime in the next 7 days
    and 3 kittens

14. pheobesowner

Thank you all for your replys! its really appreciated. Im trying to remember when she went missing, i know we moved in 19th march and it was a couple weeks after that but cant for the life of me remember the exact dates :confused1: I know she was definatly missing on 10th april because thats when we had a housewarming and she was missing then n our friends helped us look for her. So that would make it 9 weeks today exactly, but i cant remember how many days she was missing for when we had the party??? So either way its from today onwards!!! arghh!!! last night she was having really strong almost 'pulses' in her tummy and i thought it was going to happen then but it didnt. and lastnight she was a nightmare, she usually sleeps in her bed in our room but she kept waking jamie up rubbing her head against him for cuddles :lol: and eventually slept on the bed with us. and this morning shes beeing so needy, wont leave my lap and she keeps going to the litter tray. hope its soon!!! ive got to pop out for half an hour soon and my luck il miss it!!! hopefully there will be some cute kitty pics soon!!!!! arghhhh so excited!!!

15. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

sounds like things are moving. The pulsing could have been the kittens shunting into place in preparation for birth.

Has she lost her plug yet?

does she have any milk expressable from the teats?

how is her appetite today?

Best of luck, I assume you have a box or somewhere quiet for her to give birth and keep the kittens in? and dont be surprised if she choooses your bed to give birth on!

I would stock up on all the essentials for birth NOW lol as it sounds like things are very close.

16. pheobesowner

When i look it doesnt look like shes lost her plug yet so maybe a couple more days. i cant cheak the milk because she thinks im playing and tickling her tummy and she just keeps nipping me bless her. she's eaten maybe half a packet of wet food today but is drinking more. Yeh the box ect is all sorted but i havent got any kitten milk so i might go and get that soon. i said that to jamie that i bet she gives birth on us, she wont get off me!!! oh yeh and do i need iodine for the stumps or is there something else i can use? need to get the last things now like you say!

17. pheobesowner

Me and hubby have worked out the days we think she was missing and weve worked out shes between 59-66 days!! so anyday now!!! shes huge so hope its sooner than later. She keeps getting like ripples going down her whole body but nothing yet, shes gone to lye on the kitchen floor because its nice and cool bless her, come on kittys!!!!!!

18. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Ooh yes she's very close by the sounds of things!
    I'd say 3 or 4 kitties :)
    Keep us all updated!

19. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

Sounds very very close. Don't worry too much about missing it my cat was in labour for about 4 hours and it can take longer, she started before I left for work at 10 and when I came back at 1 she was only just giving birth to number 4, she may have them in the night but as she's needy she may well wake you up, when my cats waters broke she just stood there meowing at me for a good half hour with a look of 'help me' on her little face, she was also really restless.
    Have a look at some of the other pregnancy posts as theirs lots of good advice on them.

Good Luck hope they're here soon.

20. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yes I would go and get the kitten replacement milk just in-case.

I really like those bedcovers she is lying on in those pictures. Where are they from (nosy) ? :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice