Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help - Growth found on cats lower belly

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Selda Anna Altun, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Selda Anna Altun

Selda Anna Altun PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I was doing a routine check on my cat, and found a strange growth on his lower belly. He’s long haired so it’s not always easy to examine him. It is something that looks like a skin tag with these dark spots around it. I am not sure if it’s a nipple or something serious. The dots around it are worrying me though. Can anyone advise please? I have attached a photo to make it clearer.
    Thank you,
    Selda

Attached Files:

2. Veronica Chapman

Veronica Chapman PetForums Member

Hi Selda and beloved fluffy cat, welcome to PF.
    I speak as another cat lover and they are all here on this forum.
    Please do take your cat to your Vet to get it checked over. To me it looks like an infection. Whatever the cause, it needs treatment. Good luck :Nurse

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It looks like a nipple to me - but if you are at all worried, you should consult a vet.

4. Selda Anna Altun

Thank you MilleD - do nipples usually have dark dots around them like that? That’s the part that’s worrying me.

5. Selda Anna Altun

Thank you Veronica - what kind of infection do you think this could be? What do the dark spots around this growth suggest? ‍♀️

Veronica Chapman likes this.
  6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. Only a Vet is qualified to diagnose after examining your cat what this might be. You need to get an appointment ASAP.

7. Selda Anna Altun

Hi Soozi - thank you. My cat hates the vet (has full on panic attacks), so I try to avoid it where possible. I cannot tell if it is a nipple, the dark spots around it suggest it might not be but I just don’t know. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen anything similar since you’re all probably more experienced than me. Tiger is only 4 and slightly overweight. I will get it looked at as soon as I can.

8. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

It looks like a nipple but it does look sore too. It’s hard to tell what the spots are (flea bites? Or pigmentation) Either way I would want it checked out by a vet.

Veronica Chapman and chillminx like this.
  9. jjimjam

jjimjam PetForums Junior

Well that looks like a nipple. Hard to say what the dark dots are. They are so small and your photo is blurry. I doubt it can be determined over internet. Most likely: dirt, pigment, freckles etc. Nasty things get red, angry, pus, bigger, redder, pusier.

10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I sympathise with you my cat is also a nightmare trying to get her in the carrier to go to the Vet. but it's necessary. If it is a nipple then it really needs to be checked. Could you get a home visit?

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

The only person who can tell you for sure is your vet.
    If it is something which needs attention putting it off just might make things worse.
    Most cats hate going to the vet some more than others but it is just something we as pet carers have to deal with .

Veronica Chapman, lorilu and Soozi like this.
  12. Selda Anna Altun

If it is a nipple - does this look like an abnormal one? Is that why you think it needs checking over? I am not sure if my local vet does home visits, but I can check.

13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

It does look like a nipple. Check the other side of his tummy to confirm and look at all his nipples while you are at it. If it’s mastitis then he will need antibiotics. But it could be anything.

#13 Soozi, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    MissMiloKitty likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Just stop with the guessing and make an appointment and take your cat to the vet. If it's something serious the sooner it is diagnosed the better the outcome is likely to be. If it's nothing you will have peace of mind.

Most cats don't like going to the vet. Get some Rescue Remedy and give him a few drops half hour before the vet visit. If he needs stronger drugs before vet trips (something I am actually opposed to generally speaking but many people use them) your vet can prescribe them. (gabapentin being the latest favorite)

He is only four so the sooner you learn how to cope with his fear of vet trips the better off you both will be..

As for his weight, even slightly overweight is very bad for a cat. You'll want to start correcting that as well.

AmsMam, buffie and Veronica Chapman like this.
  15. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Zylkene can also be given to help keep a cat calm. You will need to give it once daily for two days prior to a vet visit and also on the day of travel. It’s only a herbal supplement, so it won’t do your cat any harm. Very few pets like going to the vet, but that doesn’t mean you don’t take them. I’ve seen many a dog I the vet’s waiting room sitting on its bum refusing to budge. One of my cats has white coat syndrome. His blood pressure goes up. We have to take him in an afternoon when it’s quiet and he’s seen quickly to get a reading, because a waiting room full of dogs freaks him out.

16. Selda Anna Altun

Hello Sacremist,
    Thank you. Of course I take my cats (I have 2) to the vet, but only if I am sure if something is wrong. They both cry all the way there and all the way back so I worry for their health. All that anxiety cannot be good for them. My tabby is overweight and I also want to have his urine checked - does anyone have ideas about how I can take a sample? They are both outdoor cats. My vet told me to lock him in overnight, but he would cry and get stressed too much. Anyone know of another way?

17. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

You can buy special cat litter from the vet for getting a urine sample, but I find cutting up a couple of clean supermarket bags into strips more successful. The litter tray must be spotless. I have a tray that has only ever been used for getting water samples. It’s never been cleaned using chemicals. After use I pour boiling water into it to clean it and just leave it for an hour. I let it air dry then put it away.

I find my cats prefer it because unlike the plastic balls the vet provides, they can dig around in it and if they do a solid poo as well, it tends to sit on top of the bags and not in the urine contaminating the sample. I keep the droppers that came with the previous litter that I’ve bought from the vets in the past and boil them too after using them to suck up a sample. I get the sample container from the vet.

I find it easier to get a sample when I lock my cat in a large dog crate. I can keep an eye on the cat and get the sample as fresh as possible.

18. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

It looks like a nipple but it looks sore. It's best to show your vet.

No cat likes going to the vet but I will always take mine ASAP if she shows any unusual signs. She's never had anything seriously wrong but I never know this until I've been. Even serious things start small. The earlier it is treated then the better chance of success and of course cheaper.

If this was my cat I would definitely take her to be checked out.

#18 MissMiloKitty, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Sacremist likes this.
  19. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would agree take this cat to the vet to check. It does look like a nipple, but do the other nipples look similar, or does this one look bigger or pinker than the others? If the others look similar, it's probably normal, but only a vet can say for sure.

20. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Any news from the OP?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice