Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help-getting desperate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Baxter2013, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Baxter2013

Baxter2013 PetForums Newbie

Hi folks,
    I have a 10month old Beagle x Collie and she has been a great puppy we had her at 3 months old, but she is becoming more and more disobedient. She's starting nipping all the time, weeing in house, pulling on walks and over excited when seeing other people and dogs, if she's off the lead which up until now she's been great with she just ignores you.

I've tried stepping up the training with treats and a clicker being very consistent and she loves doing tricks and things it's just general manners she seems to have lost.

She has plenty of space and lots of playtime with my 3 year old and her own set of toys etc.

Just don't know what else to do know so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks x

2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I have one word for you

teenager!

People imagine teenager problems are limited to human but they are definitely a dog issue too. Has she had her first season yet? All those hormones running around make them pretty over excitable. This is the time lots of dogs end up getting rehomed because people think it will never end. I can assure you it does although in my experience it varies from dog to dog how long the teenager period lasts.

What I do is go back to basics start with your basic training again particularly with toilet training. Be firm and consistent, up the treats to something really desirable when on walks, real meat, cheese, a toy or game she particularly likes and rotate those rewards so she never knows which reward is coming.

For walking try getting a harness that gives you extra control and stop the pulling such as a halti harness or head collar, have a look on here for the harness threads there are lots of good ones. A long line rather than off lead is a big help, keep bringing her back to you, treat with food or a game and send her off again. The idea is that she keeps checking back to see if you are going to be fun.

I have also used the hide behind a tree when my girl isn't looking give her a moment to realise you aren't there and then call her to find you.

This will give you extra control when she meets others if she starts pulling stop and don't continue until she comes back to your side. If she won't stop pulling turn away and go in another direction. You decide who she greets not her. If you think about it its not surprising they get naughty and excited on seeing other people and dogs at this age. Previously they have been greeted by excitement of ohhh a puppy with lots of fuss. Now they are bigger and people aren't so pleased to see them but they don't know that.

In a collie I find the nipping is excitement and attention seeking. Give a firm no and put her in her bed ignore her for a short while to let her know you aren't pleased.

Do bare in mind you have a cross between 2 very high energy breeds so think about how much exercise she is getting some free running is essential my collies have all needed at least 3/4 free running on top of on lead walking. This isn't free running in the garden but running over the fields or ball games in a large area.

Mental stimulation is needed as well as walking to tire them. I use Nina Ottosson puzzle toys, but you can play games such as hide the treat under cups and let her find them. Your 3 year old can help hide treats and put them in the puzzles. My 2 year old niece loves to do this. Hide a toy and get her to hunt for it. A tired dog is a good dog.

Do remember bladder control and needing the toilet more can come with being in season, don't forget to make sure she hasn't a urine infection.

3. Canarie

Canarie PetForums Member

Hi,
    I have a 14 month Beagle X Jack Rusell.We have only had her 7 weeks and she does have mega energy,perhaps not as much as a Beagle/Collie...
    We are taking her to Classes and doing OK,clearly picks things up quickly with the exception of "heeling"....Out of the class situation she switches off and is not focused...trying again with treats and we stop when she pulls which works better but along way to go....We have only just let her off lead and she goes like the wind so has so much energy she needs toget rid of....She has destroyed several beds including a vet bed which should be the hardest to destroy but she has destroyed it.
    Have been on hols this week and she has had approx 4 hours of walking a day....some off lead... When I return to work this will return to approx 2 hours...For all this she is a lovely girl and just wants to please....
    It is hard,I know I have been there.....

Gill

4. Baxter2013

Baxter2013 PetForums Newbie

Thank you both for you advice :) we are trying again to with the basics and I've got her an adjustable lead to help with recall.

Thanks again xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice