Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please Help!! Dog is guarding corner and vicious!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Charlie0208, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Charlie0208

Charlie0208 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    So my family got a new dog just over a month ago, she is a rescue from Romania and has been a street dog, so obviously she's had some problems but shes been a lot better since we've got her. However the past 2 or 3 days she's become really nasty when it comes to a certain corner of the living room. We've put all her toys away so she can't guard them, but now whenever my stepdad goes to sit on the sofa she tries to attack him. She's nearly 4 years old and has been spayed, but we're pretty sure shes had puppies at some point. I've seen a few things about phantom pregnancies, and it seems like it could be something like that, I've noticed she's been digging the carpet etc, but I really dont know. If anyone has any advice that would be great, we really don't know what to do, we don't feel safe around her at the moment and I really don't know what to do. Like I said she had changed really quickly and she was never viscous until a few days ago.... please help!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds more like resource guarding.

Does she have a safe space/den to go to? A covered crate, her own room etc?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Charlie0208

Thanks, she has a covered crate but that's in the other room. We thought resource guarding at first, but theres nothing for her to guard there. We took her toys, and she gets fed in her crate.

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

She could be guarding the space she's in. Doesn't have to be anything there.

5. Charlie0208

Earlier today she tried to attack my stepdad in a different room, so I really dont know. He didn't even approach her or anything...

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes, dogs can guard their space. Id be tempted to have another den in that room thats the problem and see if that helps.

You probably need professional help though.

Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Is your stepdad the only male around? (Sorry, I don’t know your gender.) stray dogs - Street dogs - are often more fearful of men. Sadly, from the dogs’ point if view, it’s men who dish out the pain. It doesn’t matter that your stepdad isn’t like that - it’s the association. She won’t necessarily always be like that, but I presume your stepdad tries to interact with her? IF it is him, the answer is for him to ignore her for the time being.

Burrowzig and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice