Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please help!!!!!!! 4 month rottweiler has had constant diharrea

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Michaelt2010, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Michaelt2010

Michaelt2010 PetForums Newbie

hi, i am proud owner of DC (decee), the 4 month old rottweiler puppy.. ive had puppys several times
    In the past so im not a novice with dogs but i live alone and this is first dog where just been mine not family pet. She is great, absorbes information like a sponge (with dog buscuits as reward she can sit, lie down, roll over, play dead to high effect).. she is fed on james welbeloved chicken and rice dog buscuits with off and on pedegree with it.. i work nights 4/5pm - 11pm, sorry about the full backstory but i really need answers and figured it is all relevent. She basically has diharrea from moment i got her, i put it down to stress of the move and 2 hour car ride, i kept her on the same food the breeder was giving her and fed small amounts more frequent. She has from the second i got her to now been a ganit, she eats anything and everything on our daily walks, ( well chews mainly like stones, horse poo and generally anything), but even with food and bones is very greedy nothing can be left. Ive had 1 scare were her usual dihareea contained some drops of blood at the end of her doing her business, and was vomiting anything she ate that day. taken to vets and given medication which did stop the blood and vomiting but dihareea continued. I put her on diet of only boiled rice and chicken several times, and boiled rice and her dog buscuits several times but just end up dihareha with bits of rice in it.
    Again some more info i took 2 weeks off work when i first got her, and graduadly worked to leaving her alone while im at work, but she is so loving and goes mad when come
    Home so maybe could be anxiety.. but never had this issue with any orher dog or puppy in my life and even though she literilly is your typical puppy, full of energy and cheekiness lol this diharrea has been going on since ive got her and i dont understand why and if will affect her in the long run?. I know this is VERY long drawn out but wanted to give as much info as i could to figure out what was going on? Thank you very much for reading this and helping and in return i am goinf to mKe a point of apending 20 mins a day going through threds to help othwrs

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sounds like colitis. Which is inflammation of the colon. I say this because you have seen blood.

You need her back on the bland diet and chicken and rice which should have been done earlier to be honest if it wasn't helping last time till poo was solid as well as straight back to your vets.

There are a myriad of problems that can cause colitis and in young dogs especially puppies it's often micro organisms. These are usually found by 3 day stool samples which are analysed then treatment given. However it can take a while for treatment to work and even more so if left so there is such a heavy burden.

So just bear in mind if something doesn't work the first time by a vets visit return sooner rather than later. It usually works out way cheaper in the long run and sometimes vets, like human doctors have to try things as it's a process of elimination to get to the bottom of things.

3. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

As above, get her back on chicken and rice and take back to the vets. If you can get a stool sample then they can send it off for testing. If the diarrhoea had subsided on the bland diet then I would have suggested that perhaps her food was not agreeing with her, but as it has been continuous then it does sound more like colitis. Make sure she is getting plenty of water in the meantime to make up for what she is losing, especially in this weather.

5. Biffo

Biffo PetForums Senior

Has she been tested for Protozoa type parasites like giardia?

One of mine is intolerant to rice, runs straight through her.

Sorry not much more help, just thinking off the top of my head. Hope it settles down soon for her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice