Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please don’t judge us just so depressed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sprite90, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Sprite90

Sprite90 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, going to start my story from the beginning so you get the whole picture. I am hoping for reassurance that we made the right choice.
    I live with my dad as I’m out of work due to mental health issues, which means I can’t afford to live alone. We had a dog for 15 years she was my constant and made me feel safe. But she passed away at Christmas, I was so afraid that being without a dog I would get worse I rushed into getting a puppy unfortunately since I got her my anxiety shot up, I keep feeling sick, crying every night. She won’t nap even in her crate, she is resource guarding so I have been bit my dad gets it worse when he moves her from me. We have only had her 5 days and I feel so ill. My dad is not coping with the stress and has so much other stress atm. I’m dreading telling my family scared they will judge me as selfish or stupid for not thinking things through before hand

2. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Junior

I didn’t want to just read your message and run. You do sound very down and you seem to be putting a lot of blame on yourself, which won’t help. I think that you have so much going on with your mental health issues that it is difficult to br able to see whether you are suffering from the very common “puppy blues” or whether your mental health itself needs evaluating and maybe you need more support from professionals.
    Please don’t think that everybody will judge you especially your loved ones. You lost a much loved pet very recently and are probably still very much grieving. We forget how our beloved pets get to the stage where we love and support each other. You were not missing just having a dog, you are missing YOUR dog. Some of the wonderful knowledgeable forum members will be alone to give you expert advice. But please try and get some support, either online or by telephone if you would prefer to talk to somebody about your present mental health and your grieving process. Take care and be kind to yourself.

LinznMilly, margy and tabelmabel like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Are you able to hand this pup back to the breeder? It sounds as if you need a lot of support at the moment and your Dad isnt in a position to lift your load.

If you think your family will be able to get this pup into a good routine, then you do need to appeal to them.

If you are just going to get a backlash and no help for the pup, please hand the pup back and then take steps to seek help for yourself.

It is really difficult to make measured decisions when you are grieving, let alone when you have mental health problems, no support and grief all bundled together.

You will feel better once you hand the pup back and reach out for support. Please do that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice