Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please can someone help with my hamster new to forum

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Amivickery, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Amivickery

Amivickery PetForums Newbie

image.jpg image.jpg
    so the first tank ( Christmas tank ) is my dwarf hamsters tank ( detolf ) and I have no problems they love it the only time they come up and scratch the glass is for a treat. Now the second one is my new Syrian hamsters ( weasley ) tank which is 3.2ft tank. Now I’ve had weasley for a week and a half now he’s very friendly a little timid but he used to have a very small plastic cage with a wire top and he never tried constantly digging he’s way out or scratching at the glass everywhere as if he wants to get out like he does with this tank now I’ve only put him in there since this morning so I could just be too early on this post but I need to know if I’m doing something wrong? is his tank too small? Have I over crowded it? ( there’s no wheel at the moment as I accidentally broke it literally about an hour ago when I went to oil it ) I really need some help as I really don’t want him to feel like he don’t like his new home. Any help and advice would be awesome. Thanks x

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t know about cage sizes but maybe put his old one inside as he’s more likely to settle in something familiar, then he can explore the new surroundings gradually?

lorilu, ForestWomble and Amivickery like this.
  3. Amivickery

Oh that’s actually a brilliant idea thank you I’ll try that.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Are those Christmas decorations hamster friendly? I don't know much about hammies but if they chew, you don't want them chewing on toxic paint and materials. I'd take all that stuff out of the tank. Hamsters don't care about Christmas. :)

Knighterist and ForestWomble like this.
  5. Amivickery

Hi. Yeah there all hamster friendly. I only use non toxic and water based animal friendly white paint which food colouring mixed for the colours. But thank you. Also for some reason my hamsters don’t chew not even there proper chews so I have to take them to the vets all the time to have there teeth done but vet says some hamsters are just too lazy and are just not chewers lol

Knighterist and lorilu like this.
  6. Amivickery

Was meant to add the decs are for me really plus they love hiding by them or in them so that’s a bonus

lorilu likes this.
  7. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

Omg, is that what it is, I have a lazy hamster! I should've known, if it isn't food, it isn't worth the chewing effort from my hamsters perspective. I have taken to buying him whimzee rice bone, which are harder and tougher than standard, so I think his teeth are in trim order since he goes at those...
    This just occurred to me that I have a lazy hamster too. I found whimzee rice bone goes very well...Only because it's food!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice