Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Please can someone give me an idea as to what she was doing?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rabbit Lover, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Rabbit Lover

Rabbit Lover PetForums Newbie

Last month my Mum shouted me to come and watch Socks (who was in the back garden) out of the window. According to my Mum, Socks had spent 10 minutes gathering up grass in her mouth and then jumped into her hutch (which she never does because her hutch is quite high so she can't just walk into it, she has to physically jump) and spent another 5 minutes in her bed before jumping out empty handed and doing it all over again. I watched her do this twice and she continued to do it as I walked away.

Later my Mum held Socks as I went to have a look in her bed. I found a small clump of grass at the left side of her bed and another at the front. Because I didn't know what it was I didn't want to disturb it so I left it the way it was.

Please can someone give me an idea as to what she was doing?

Thankyou x

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

she is probably just building a nest maybe she is having a phantom pregnancy. some does just nest make.
    is she neutered?

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

BTW if thats socks in your sig she is very beautiful but we wanna see more pics :D

4. Rabbit Lover

She's made around three or four nests before this but with hay and fur, which was why I wasn't sure what she was doing, and no she is not neutered x

Thankyou :D You will soon ;) x

#4 Rabbit Lover, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

If you don't intend on breeding her get her neutered. Female rabbits have a very high chance of getting uterine cancer if unspayed and this chance increases the older the rabbit gets.

6. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I agree with kammie best to get her neutered when you can .

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

awww shes just doing whats natural, I would advise to get her neutered they tend to live a few years longer, and shes a bit old to have babies now, best bet is to take the nest away i think?

8. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I agree with the others.... oh and i want pics too!!! :D

9. Rabbit Lover

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I want to get her neutered yet though, I mean she's only just turned two! lol

10. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

after the age of about 1 their hips fuse together which makes having babies much more difficult, than if they've already had a litter, I didnt have my rabbit done til she was 2 and she is defiantly less territorial and protective of her food bowl now and a bit more cuddly, also these phantoms must really be playing havoc with her hormones

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Why not? Does can be spayed from 4 months old, your risking her health not doing it. She wont have phamtom pregnancies once shes done, it largely helps with temprements in does because unspayed does can be very territorial and frustrated if left unspayed and the more important fact that 85% of unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus. You could get her a neutered male friend then, buns like company ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice