UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am hoping someone may be able to help me find out the sex of my kitten. Its 6 weeks old so i have 2 weeks before picking him/her up and am trying to think of names. Without being sure of its gender, the naming process is tricky! Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hello! I am hoping someone may be able to help me find out the sex of my kitten. Its 6 weeks old so i have 2 weeks before picking him/her up and am trying to think of names. Without being sure of its gender, the naming process is tricky! Thanks for any help :)
raccoon? possum? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My little boy likes badger but theres not a bit of black or white in sight! Raccoon is better! :)He/she is a moggy. The family who have mum said they think its a girl but hubby thinks a boy! We are collecting kitty when they suggest is a ready age, but the said minimum of 8 weeks:)

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
My little boy likes badger but theres not a bit of black or white in sight! Raccoon is better! :)He/she is a moggy. The family who have mum said they think its a girl but hubby thinks a boy! We are collecting kitty when they suggest is a ready age, but the said minimum of 8 weeks:)
Should be a minimum of 12 weeks, kittens are not ready to leave mom at 8 weeks.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Baby boy....
And 8 weeks is very early.
They will eat independently and normally will know to use the litter tray, but they still will be drinking from the mother, too.
So untill they have had both rounds of vaccinations (first at 9 weeks, second at 12 weeks) the mother's milk gives them extra antibodies till they have built up their immunity, themselves.

Moreover, the kittens learn a lot of social skills in these last 4 weeks, like playing with retracted claws, not drawing blood when biting during a playfight, reading the signals when another cat or a human has had enough....
And generally becoming less dependent on mommy.
I have a cat that was parted from her mother too soon, and she is suckling on my clothes all the time. I have to hold her like a little baby.
It's quite cute, of course, but it is in fact obsessive behaviour of a cat that hasn't had the chance to suckle with mommy long enough.

In her case there was nothing to be done about it, she was found on a campsite without mother or siblings, and there was no other nursing queen available to take her on. But if mother cat is available, please let him stay with her for 12 weeks, it is so much better for him, both healthwise and socially. You will get a more confident, physically and mentally healthier kitten that way.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
You are all so clever! I couldn't even tell what animal it was from the pic - never mind spot genitalia! :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for all the advice, what a lovely forum :)
As kitty is a little boy we are going to call him Jasper :D
I have spoken to the family who have mummy cat, and they are happy to keep Jasper with mum longer as per advice here, we are very excited! Ive uploaded a new pic, hope you can see it :)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.