Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Playing rough.Big dog vs small dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rott lover, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

Do you find that big dogs play rougher than small dogs ?
    Do you find that people play rougher with big dogs than small dogs?

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Yes and yes

Rott lover and Happy Paws2 like this.
  3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I have no idea about the first part, but I would guess yes to the second, as it’s much easier to hurt a small dog, so you would automatically hold yourself back

Rott lover likes this.
  4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I put 'yes' for the first part not because large dogs are deliberately rough but because it's easy to hurt in a small dog in rough play.

Rott lover and Happy Paws2 like this.
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

yes and no to the second

My small dog loves to play rough. As a fast tenacious terrier she gets the same level of play as our collies did, to be fair she is so quick and fast you don't get the chance to catch her.

Rott lover likes this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Yes and yes..

Playing with Dillon is like playing with a grizzly bear the rougher the better, no way, would we have played like this when we had our JR.

Rott lover likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

How they play depends on what they learn as pups rather than whether they are big or small .
    Libby the tiny one in the photo , she plays rough , grabbing legs etc , that the other dogs that we walk with her won't play with her.

Rott lover likes this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I dunno, our old terrier was great for rough-housing, whereas our other dog at the time, a larger collie x spaniel, didn't like rough play and was very gentle in her play style.
    I do think in general smaller dogs are easier to break so you don't get so rough playing with them, but they can really give as good as they get when it comes to playing rough with other dogs. Terriers certainly do anyway.

Rott lover likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have 2 smallish dogs, one plays rough with other dogs and is a pain, the other is very gentle. Neither would really enjoy rough housing though the gentle dog would be better at it.

Rott lover likes this.
  10. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I've always had BIG dogs so, unfortunately, I can't answer your first question.

Believe it or not, despite Oscar being much bigger than I am (on all fours - heavier too) I tend not to play too rough with him because he can be unnerved quite easily. In many respects, I've come to understand what he regards as permissible according to the rules and regulations of the game that has developed naturally over the years.
    I would hate to fracture that unique play relationship we have by over stepping a recognised boundary and intimidating him.
    Of course, Oscar doesn't extend those same considerations to me but, then again, that's where the fun is.:)

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

No and no with my two.

Izzy is much rougher in play style than Jasper and she likes rough play from people too (although it gets her too silly) and people do seem to get sillier with her as she enjoys it so much.

Jasper is much more gentle in his play style and other than the slap the butt game he would have no idea how to react to someone trying to rough play him.

Rott lover likes this.
  12. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

I think it depends on the dog rather than the size.

Poppy loves rough, the other two don’t.

I can’t honestly say anyone goes gentle with her, probably about the same roughness as my old springer x collie who was 3 times the size of tiny
    Poppy! She loves rough and is confused with gentle, she finds it boring.

Rott lover likes this.
  13. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Georgina and Gwylim will play rough with each other but not with me. Unless you know the breed, Pei playing can look quite horrific,as their play style is a cross between a bulldozer and baby elephant. It's very rarely though she manages to catch Gwylim 'cos he's far more agile and runs faster.

The really rough player though was Chloe, my 4.5 kg Tibetan Spaniel. We used to have some wonderful games with her growling and charging me, but never hurting, bless her. M'boi my first Pei used to get so worried and if she thought the playing was getting out of hands she'd stand in between us to make us stop!

Rott lover likes this.
  14. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Just found this short video of my two playing in the garden!

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

no and yes?
    I think some little dogs will play just as rough as big dogs if they are evenly matched. Obviously big dog vs little dog is never a good idea for rough play but surely its more breed specific?

As to the second question Heidi (6Ib Chihuahua) always wants to playfight when I get into bed. Basically I 'attack' her with 1 hand and gently push her over whilst she runs up and down my body and launches herself on 'the hand of Doom', growling menacingly....and thats how you play rough with a teeny dog!LOL:Hilarious

Rott lover and Magyarmum like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice