Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Platinum dog food samples - how to choose which meat to opt for?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dog-dogs, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Hello all,

Am considering moving Jasper over to Platinum dog food and have received samples https://www.platinum.co.uk/service/food-sample.html :

- Beef + Potato (50g of each)
    - Chicken
    - Pork + Greens
    - Lamb + Rice

How can I/ did you, determine which meat to feed your dog. Jasper currently eats AVA chicken small breed dog food from Pets At Home, but every couple of weeks he gets a painful rumbling tummy in the morning and not sure what causes it. Am trying to identify what triggers this and part of this process is to move him on to a different kibble. Last year I did phase him on to Canagan, but it made him slightly constipated.

So with 50 grams of each food how can I determine what to feed him, Beef/ Chicken/ Pork/ Lamb?

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I did a taste test! https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6pZ7GAKG0/

But ultimately if you're not avoiding certain known ingredients, the slight difference in nutritional analysis is all the same to you, and you're not bothered cost-wise, i think you just have to pick! Maybe look at what animal proteins his treats usually are, if he gets other things?

Dog-dogs likes this.
  3. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Are you only feeding dry food or dry and wet ?
    I feed dry food (there are only 2 flavours to choose from) with a varied selection of wet food so she doesn't get bored.

It shouldn't matter which flavour as long as your dog doesn't have allergies and actually likes the food.

Dog-dogs likes this.
  4. Dog-dogs

That's great @Torin. the kind of thing I was looking for, I expect Jasper would just eat whatever is nearest his nose. Not concerned about price as there isn't much difference and he'll only need around 100g/day. I might go with lamb as it has the lowest fat % which I'm surprised at as thought lamb was a fatty meat.

How did you move over to Platinum from the previous food? I ask as the answers on their website conflict with each other.

https://www.platinum.co.uk/food/questions-answers.html

How do I switch over from other products to PLATINUM food?
    A dog's stomach is designed for meat. As a result of the high proportion of meat and the fact that it is so easy to digest, switching over the food is usually possible from one day to the next. If your dog has a highly sensitive digestive tract, mix an increasingly larger proportion of PLATINUM into your current dog food over 3-4 days.

How do I change from conventional dry food to PLATINUM dry food?
    We recommend an immediate change of dog food without a transitional phase. Due to the differences in digestibility, mixing PLATINUM Dry Food with another dry food is not advisable.

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I feed Platinum too, I started with the chicken because the food I was already using was chicken and I did a gradual changeover.

The next time I bought, I bought the Iberico Pork but he seemed less keen, at first at least. So I switched back to chicken.

Dog-dogs and Torin. like this.
  6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I didn't switch to it in the end as Cad needed something a bit more nutrient dense to maintain weight.

I don't feel like those answers are conflicting - they're basically saying there's no one size fits all and you need to be careful if your dog is sensitive. To rephrase:

If your dog is normal, can eat anything and be fine, then you can prioritise the digestibility and do an immediate swap.
    If your dog is known to have a sensitive digestion, then not shocking the gut bacteria with a big change is much more important, so take care and do a slow transition.

That make more sense?
    I don't personally feel like differences in digestibility between Platinum and other kibbles are at all important though, from a personal opinion vs explaining what they're trying to say pov. I mean, each and every food/ ingredient has different degrees of digestibility to another. A healthy body is designed to be okay with this. It's sort of tagging on the myth that you can't mix e.g. raw and kibble or cold-pressed and extruded kibbles etc. It's not a biggy.

So I would err on a non-immediate switch (4 days is actually pretty fast) for the gut biome benefits unless you know your dog to have an iron stomach and be fine with whatever :)

7. Dog-dogs

I think it was a previous forum post of yours that got me on to Platinum food - they should reward you for being a brand ambassador! :)

With it being manufactured in Germany I am a little concerned with what may happen post Brexit, but think that is relevant to lots of products/ goods so no point worrying about it I guess.

8. Dog-dogs

Yeah, I think it would be best to have a gradual changeover once I've tested/decided which food to buy. With regards to the digestibility of Platinum vs standard kibble, not really concerned about that. More wanting a food source that contains a higher % of water as he doesn't tend to drink much and am wanting to use a lot of his food during training. I currently give him 25% of his food during training, but am hoping after moving over to Platinum this would be more like 50%+ :)

Torin. likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Our last food was actually from Germany too, so I would have faced the same concerns either way. But I hope that supply and demand will win out over politics.

Torin. and Dog-dogs like this.
  10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Left of field suggestion...

Have you considered teaching him to drink on cue? I taught Cad this and it's SO HELPFUL for like on walks where there's infrequent water sources where I know there'll not be the opportunity for ages. But I also use it at home in the garden.

Cad naturally doesn't really want to drink out of the house unless he's super thirsty, and it's a bit of a problem if things are location or timing dependent. While now that he drinks on cue I worry a whole lot less about it.

Dog-dogs likes this.
  11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

A couple of years ago I was at an agricultural show. A tweed and brogues guy with a black lab on a slip lead walked up to a water bowl and said 'drink'. The dog dutifully obliged and took such a big drink that we wondered if it had been taught by depriving it of water. I know that's a big jump, especially since I often tell T to 'have a drink' before we go out, and he does; but something that day felt off.

12. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I can confirm that I didn't teach Cad to have a drink by withholding access!

13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I know you didn't!

Torin. likes this.
  14. Dog-dogs

When the weather is hot(ish) I do take a water bottle with me and I have chosen the novel cue of 'water' and he does sometimes drink, but not always. It's a dog specific water bottle -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upsky-Portable-Activated-Dispenser-Lightweight/dp/B07QKS7MM6

And I use the same cue at home, but he generally doesn't choose to drink a lot. So a moist kibble such as Platinum I think would be preferable to use as a training treat.

15. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Timber earns a good proportion of his food on walks for good responses to cues. It has quite a strong smell and taste (yes ... :rolleyes:) so it works well for training and rewards.

Dog-dogs and Torin. like this.
  16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I thought you might be interested - I placed an order yesterday lunchtime, standard delivery 3 - 5 days. I just got a text, it's arriving this afternoon

Dog-dogs likes this.
  17. Dog-dogs

Thanks for letting me know. Platinum does seem to be a very good company, when I sent a request for food samples my reply came @ 7am on Bank Holiday Monday. I gave Jasper some an hour ago - just 4 pieces as it's much bigger than his usual kibble, but it is easy to break it into smaller bits. Will see how he gets on with it over the next few days :)

18. Dog-dogs

Jasper is one happy dog! Though not very compliant when trying to take a photo of him next to the food :Shamefullyembarrased Went for Chicken in the end as he enjoyed the sample pack. Thanks all.

Attached Files:

Torin., Sarah H and JoanneF like this.
  19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I was wondering how you got on. Hope he likes it.

Dog-dogs likes this.
  20. Dog-dogs

He's got 5kg to get through, so yes I do hope he likes it :)

Sarah H and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice